View Poll Results: Should I give up the iPhone 4 for the Bold 9930?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

22 52.38%
  • No

8 19.05%
  • You'll regret it in a few months

12 28.57%
    I currently have a White 16gb iPhone 4 for Verizon, and am debating whether or not I should get rid of it for the Bold 9930 or not.

My reasoning behind it is as so: The iPhone 5 is coming out in a month, and that will make the value of mine in the resell market go down roughly $100, so I figure I should do it now. However, I will not be making a penny after selling it for the Bold 9930 as they are similarly priced.

Also, my next upgrade is February 10th, which is the date I will be getting the iPhone 5 (unless RIM releases some miracle device). I am not sure if I will be able to deal with the 9930 for 5 1/2 months after having this iPhone since June of 2011 up until this point.

Plus, the 9930 has been out a while, and who knows how relevant it will be even in 3 months.

What's your take on if I should switch or not?
    08-24-12 01:57 PM
    it sounds like you already have your answer..

"I am not sure if I will be able to deal with the 9930 for 5 1/2 months"

"Plus, the 9930 has been out a while, and who knows how relevant it will be even in 3 months."
    08-24-12 03:06 PM
    i would hold off and see whats coming up with the iphone 5 and BB10. i wouldnt bother with a 9330 now. personally, after being a long time BB user, i find the iphone alot more functional for every day life.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-24-12 05:01 PM
    I'm the opposite of dictoresno, I am selling my iphone (becuase I know I won't be able to when the 5 comes out) but I'm just not an apple person...I didn't want to fight with that phone for another 4 months (renew in January) or so before 10 comes out...or the 5...so I bought a cheap refurb 9930. Just thought I would give an opinion from the other side of the fence.
    08-24-12 05:23 PM
    I'm the opposite of dictoresno, I am selling my iphone (becuase I know I won't be able to when the 5 comes out) but I'm just not an apple person...I didn't want to fight with that phone for another 4 months (renew in January) or so before 10 comes out...or the 5...so I bought a cheap refurb 9930. Just thought I would give an opinion from the other side of the fence.
    Your story sounds exactly like mine, except my upgrade is February, haha.

I think I'm gonna go for it and get the 9930.
    pinkvikchick likes this.
    08-24-12 09:14 PM
    I'm trying to sell my iPhone right now too. A 32GB 4S.
    Everybody on Craigslist is trying to lowball me though. $300 for a 32GB 4S? I think not.

But I'd say get a 9930 anyway. It'll hold you over until your upgrade for the iPhone 5 & even though BB10 will probably be out by then you could still get AT LEAST $200 if you try to sell the 9930 then.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    08-24-12 09:27 PM
    I sold my iphone 4s white 16gb for 450 lol and bought a mint 9900 for 200 im loving it! its my fifth 9900 though.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-24-12 09:35 PM
    Get the device that you think will last you the longest. And just make sure it's your favorite device overall so you have no doubt about switching phones..

I just bought a 9930 a couple months ago, and I'm LOVING it! I could use this device forever! I have no interest in the iphone 5 or even BB10. I just need the basic things and it does all of that very well! It's just what your preference is in what you need your phone to do for you.
    08-25-12 12:07 AM
    Do you like the 9930? Better than the iPhone? That should answer your question. I love my 9930, but if I didn't I'd have something else.
    08-25-12 12:39 AM
    My only warning is about the camera. The 9930 does not have an autofocus camera.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    BlackBerry Guy likes this.
    08-25-12 12:55 AM
    I sold my iphone 4s white 16gb for 450 lol and bought a mint 9900 for 200 im loving it! its my fifth 9900 though.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    FIFTH ?? how's that
    08-25-12 11:30 AM
    My take on the OP boils down to simply: Do you play on your phone? Or do you use it to play?
    If you play games and fiddle with pointless apps, go with the iPhone. If you focus on comminicating as a means of doing things for real, then get the BB.
    08-25-12 01:25 PM
    If your point is to get top dollar for your iPhone sell it now. iPhone 5 is right around the corner and current iPhone prices and demand are going to keep dropping, as everybody wants "the latest and greatest". Just make sure the 9900/9930 is what you want. 9900/9930 is a great device, but it is not an iPhone. Personally I'm bored of the iPhone, I will pass on the iPhone 5 and waiting for BB10. Till then my 9900 keeps my happy.
    08-25-12 04:35 PM
    My take on the OP boils down to simply: Do you play on your phone? Or do you use it to play?
    If you play games and fiddle with pointless apps, go with the iPhone. If you focus on comminicating as a means of doing things for real, then get the BB.
    I switched from the iPhone 4S to the Bold 9900 today for the exact reasons mentioned in the quote. I love Apple products and I have a Macbook Pro (Which I wouldn't trade for anything) and an iPad. Loved the iPhone as well, but it just doesn't suit my needs for communicating from the professional standpoint of my life.

In my opinion, if you are able, buy an iPad for fun and get a Blackberry for phone purposes.
    08-25-12 07:24 PM

In my opinion, if you are able, buy an iPad for fun and get a Blackberry for phone purposes.
    That's my daily setup, They complete each other perfectly.
    08-25-12 07:55 PM
    Wait till the iPhone 5 comes out and if you do not like it, you can move to BB10 in November 2013, when the new Blackberry finally comes out.
    08-26-12 05:27 AM
    I have owned this phone for 8 months! PIECE of GARBAGE!

Read my story and how I switched

everything in detail about the 9900

My experience switching from BlackBerry to Android
    No doubt user error. Next....
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-26-12 06:13 AM
    Wait till the iPhone 5 comes out and if you do not like it, you can move to BB10 in November 2013, when the new Blackberry finally comes out.
    Yikes! November 2013!!!
    08-26-12 08:28 AM
    Yikes! November 2013!!!
    IF we are lucky
    08-26-12 12:32 PM
    Yeah I have a White iPad 2 I'm typing this on right now. Never really thought of it that way haha.

Anyways, I'm supposed to be meeting up with this guy off CL today to trade my iPhone for his Bold.
    08-27-12 09:34 AM
    I switched from the 9900 to 4s a few months ago. I have extensive history on both platforms. I occasionally get the urge to switch back to blackberry every now and then but the main thing that keeps me on my iPhone is the camera. I have young kids and miss out on some great picture opportunities with the 9900. I also am way invested in the apple ecostructure and it doesn't really make sense for me to switch back at this point. I pay for the iTunes "match" program and have the 100 gigs extra storage and really appreciate the nightly backups of my entire phone. That really gives me peace of mind.
    08-27-12 12:24 PM
    I've had a BB Bold (or whatever it was before 'Bold'...who remembers) for about 6 years.
    I have a PC, I work on a MAC, and I have an Ipad2.
    I carry my Ipad for business every day and I use it every day. That means Itunes on my PC. I don't use the MAC for business due to the Thousands of $ it would take to replicate all the software that I need...and not all are available for Mac.

MYTH & LEGEND
    Bewtween Iphone & Bold, one is better than the other for business.
    Nonsense. Both are equally up to any business task in every conceivable way with very few exceptions...the leading being the restriction of only (1) Email Exchange on the BB and the limitations of the Calendar software.

I like the bold. IMHO, the best mobile device made for ergonomics, durability, and function.
    BUT....the software, firmware, and manufaturer are so out-of-step with the technlogy that the device has become a full time nuisance.

1. RIM is always etremely late with updates, and they are typically at least a year behind the current technology.
    2. I am scared to update (I'm not alone...just read through the 'should I update' threads) becuase their updates are a roll of the dice as to whether YOUR device will behave well or behave badly. Either way, its a minimum 2 hour affair PLUS re-establishing your email connections AND re-setting ALL of your screen layouts/icons.
    3. RIM is always on the brink of going out of business.
    4. The UI is not very intuitive and often difficult to navigate.
    5. The camera is OK but is very limited.
    6. It requires a regular battery pull to prevent strange things from happening, and they always happen when you need the phone in a hurry.
    7. RIM software does not and will never get along with anything Apple, which is unfortunate since the Ipad isbecoming the STANDARD. The Calendars can't even start to sync properly with Ical, and the Ical is far better than anythig either Rim or Microsoft have to offer. A a Professional project Mgr, many Calendars are a must for me.
    8. The Bold can only handle (1) Email Exchange account, which is limiting for a business with multiple Exchange accoutns. Yes, there are work-a-rounds, but why should I?

As a side note...if you are deciding on your mobile device based on resale value from month to month, then you should really question whether you should own such an expensive mobile device in the first place, as it is a fact that they become obsolete quickly...regardless of manufacturer.
    09-02-12 12:35 PM
    No doubt user error. Next....
    Come on now. Obviously he was frustrated but had points. Battery life was a let down to say the least. I would have never left bb if battery life was better on 9930. Only lasted till 3 in the afternoon for me. So it was either buy another battery or return phone and try another platform. Another platform it was! Having said that I have a feeling RIM will have learned from the battery and camera letdowns of the 9930-9900. Cause other than that it's a very nice device!
    09-02-12 01:12 PM
    I just may do this combo with bb10. Bb10 qwerty with an iPad. Will have to see after both ip5 and bb10 come out
    09-02-12 01:13 PM
    as you mention the release of the new iPhone is a few weeks away
    and the value of your current iphone will drastically go down, so I'd keep the BB
    that is if you care about money
    09-02-12 01:36 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD