Okay, so today i was being nosy in MeterBerry and went through my event logs. (alt LGLG for people who don't have it)

Check out the attached pic. "NotifyListeners" and "GPSListener" are events EVERY FEW SECONDS. Which was my fault though, be cause i had that option turned on. The option is:

Options->Device->Location Settings

Now look under "Location Data" section at the bottom

It says "anonymously collects data to improve the speed and accuracy of future location services"

Next "Location Aiding"

It says "Uses network information to reduce the time to acquire a GPS fix and give you a location estimate.

Before i had these both set to "enabled", but i changed them both to "disabled" Im taking a GUESS that this is making my battery drain more than it should. i mean if it's updating my location every few seconds whether by gps or cell tower certainly that's hurting my battery performance (which isnt that bad anyways)

But this is my THEORY, i just figured it out so i havent had time to test it out. Just figured it wouldnt hurt to share

Let me know if this helps or has no effect!
    diego.roscetti and MrTherapy like this.
    10-09-11 10:34 PM
    GPS eats battery. GPS Off, there is NO locations aiding. Turning location off and GPS ON, won't really change anything in battery life.
    10-09-11 11:08 PM
    GPS eats battery. GPS Off, there is NO locations aiding. Turning location off and GPS ON, won't really change anything in battery life.
    It was updating my location every few seconds. now, gps is still on BUT it only uses it when i use google maps, facebook places, telenav, bb maps, etc.
    10-09-11 11:12 PM
    Nice! I gave her a try and we will see what happens tomorrow.. Although my battery life is pretty awesome too.

So will when I use my GPS like bb traffic will it not use my location data? Will it take a lot slower to triangulate my position? Or I am right in assuming it is just turning it off when in the background collecting data?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-09-11 11:19 PM
    Nice! I gave her a try and we will see what happens tomorrow.. Although my battery life is pretty awesome too.

So will when I use my GPS like bb traffic will it not use my location data? Will it take a lot slower to triangulate my position? Or I am right in assuming it is just turning it off when in the background collecting data?

Google Maps took about 5 seconds w/ my new settings. *apparently* my 9930 was logging my lat/long ( and nearest address) every few seconds so apps could use that. now the gps chip is stil on, but only retrieves location info when a app requests it. like OS5
    10-09-11 11:26 PM
    So far i'm at 91% battery from 11:10am to 2:20 pm....
    10-10-11 01:22 PM
    This has to be the best option for saving battery.

After a normal days use for me, I am draining my battery at half of what I used to before.

Thank you very much for these recommendations. They have definitely worked for me.
    10-11-11 08:53 AM
    Will give it a shot, but I do like the GPS fast lock-on as I track my bike commutes home every day. Will see if it affects that at all.
    10-11-11 08:57 AM
    I was under the impression that location off means gps off... Is there another option for shutting GPS OFF?
    Thanks!
    10-11-11 09:02 AM
    I was under the impression that location off means gps off... Is there another option for shutting GPS OFF?
    Thanks!
    Options>Device>Location Settings>Location Services>Location Off

There ya goo!!
    10-11-11 09:39 AM
    Thanks for your reply HausOfAus!
    I already did that, I thought there was another setting somewhere
    10-11-11 09:41 AM
    No issues with battery life on my 9930 here!
    10-11-11 10:25 AM
    After getting .440, my battery has been awesome. At 90% at 11:40am and I unplugged it at 7:20am. Mostly stand-by, but a few text messages, bbm messages, emails, and facebook notifications.
    10-11-11 10:40 AM
    This has to be the best option for saving battery.

After a normal days use for me, I am draining my battery at half of what I used to before.

Thank you very much for these recommendations. They have definitely worked for me.
    yeah i think it depends on your daily routine. if you work r something inside of a building it may help as it no longer continually searches. but people who always have service may see little effect. i personally think my battery is better.
    10-11-11 01:44 PM
    Thanks for your reply HausOfAus!
    I already did that, I thought there was another setting somewhere
    Change location services to E911 only. you cant 100% turn gps off, but that setting is bare minimum. no apps can use it but 911 can still locate you
    10-11-11 01:54 PM
    I just simply replaced my battery and upgraded to .400 and voila.

10-11-11 06:58 PM
    I just simply replaced my battery and upgraded to .400 and voila.

That's not an option for 9930's haha

10-12-11 07:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD