Halp! I'm going on a cruise next week and don't want to be billed millions of dollars for using the cruise network. It's Royal Caribbean and will go to the Bahamas, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten

What settings do I need to change on my 9930 to avoid connecting to the cruise network? I know I could just turn off the radio, but what about in port? Other people have reported that the cruise network was preferred over the regular towers. I want to avoid that if at all possible. Is there something that I could set?

If I'm able to get wifi, is there a good app to make phone calls for the PlayBook? TIA
    02-04-13 12:37 PM
    I go on a cruise every year. It is the only time that I shut off the phone completely and put it in the safe. Its a pleasant one week out of the year. If you wish to stay in touch go to the computer lounge and pay $10.00 to check on things at home using their computer. Once my brother turned on his android phone, didn't use any phone or internet and was charged $25.00 on his sail and sign account. Relax and have fun the phone will download everything when you return to port. It gives you something to do on the plane ride home.
    02-04-13 02:59 PM
    Thanks. Unfortunately, not using the phone or email for a week is not an option for us. I don't feel the need to get away from technology, so I'm not really broken up about it.

Can anyone tell me what I need to set? Thanks.
    02-04-13 04:09 PM
    Turn off data services while roaming. You can find this in the Networks and Connections.
    02-04-13 04:24 PM
    I always put my phone in airplane mode while on he ship, and use it in port.

Call your carrier and see if you can add an international plan. activate it when you leave and cancel it when you return, they prorated the fees on my last trip
    02-04-13 04:47 PM
    Thanks. I don't think Sprint has international plans anymore other than a voice discount plan. I will check, though.
    02-04-13 05:11 PM
    Last I knew sprint stopped with the brick data international plans and went with the standardized pay as you go data plans. That was about a year ago. I haven't had the need to check so my facts may be a little old.

Sent from my game boy color
    02-05-13 11:27 PM