Anyone else have this? It's just to the left of the led indicator. When the "ghost" light blinks, it blinks quickly and drains the battery faster than normal. It's not an internal reflection of the led blink. It doesn't blink at the same rate and is very faint....
    04-17-12 09:45 PM
    Proximity sensor.
    04-17-12 09:47 PM
    I have not seen this issue yet.
    04-17-12 09:47 PM
    byul, thanks. Do you know why it sometimes decides to flash violently? Something I'm doing? Because it's killing my battery.
    04-17-12 09:55 PM
    What makes you think that it drains your battery very quickly? As far as I know, it only "blinks" when I pick up a call. And that, my friend, is what you call a proximity sensor.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    adamrollins likes this.
    04-17-12 11:18 PM
    It's a proximity sensor. I don't believe it should drain your battery. How do you know it's draining your battery?
    04-18-12 12:05 AM
    I don't load lots of apps or have auto refreshes for anything. All status quo and I know exactly based on consistent usage what my battery is at the end of the day (~33%). When this proximity sensor flashes rapidly, batttery gets to 13% and single digits. When I reboot, the rapid flash disappears.

It's not related to picking up or getting calls as I did not use my phone for calls nor did it ring yesterday.

Maybe it is related to paranormal alien intervention!
    04-18-12 09:32 PM
    I remember some other threads reporting this issue too, about the proximity sensor flashing even though they are not on a call, and increase battery drain.

Also just in case, the trackpad has a similar flashing light as well when you thumb is near. sensor as well.
    04-19-12 12:17 AM
    I don't mean to be rude, but it's definitely not killing your battery. It's all in your head.
    04-19-12 03:13 AM
    BBFT - point of a discussion forum is to discuss. Thanks for your opinion. I'm just describing what I'm experiencing.
    04-19-12 11:38 PM
    I don't mean to be rude, but it's definitely not killing your battery. It's all in your head.
    When my proximity sensor is "stuck" on it will kill my 9900 from full charge to complete phone shutdown within hours. When the phone is dark, keyboard locked, and screen off, no call etc. It's still blinking away in there and battery drops violently. Phone stays warm too, this is with wifi off, BT off, GPS off, Maps, off, etc. Latest update 7.1 and occasional reboot.

When you do a battery pull, it stops flashing and phone cools off. I dont think it's the prox sensor itself. But whatever is in the phone that activates the sensor (software probably) must be activating other things and thats where the real drain is coming from. Radios, etc.
    05-11-12 10:28 PM
    byul, thanks. Do you know why it sometimes decides to flash violently? Something I'm doing? Because it's killing my battery.
    I don't think it is drawing that much power to drain the battery. In fact, having a weak or even a medium radio signal will drain the battery more than this proximity sensor. There is no option in the OS to disable it and among many other things, it mostly used to turn off the screen when the unit is close to your ear.
    05-11-12 11:02 PM
    If your gps is on while streaming or downloading it will drain very fast. If there are apps open and running in the background it will drain your battery. Press and hold the bb key. If there are more than home, message, bbm, phone and browser it will drain your battery. If you are in a poor signal area it will drain your battery. There are many reasons why your battery may be draining fast. Not to be impolite but most of the reasons are self inflicted. The proximity sensor is the least of your problems.
    05-11-12 11:20 PM
    If your gps is on while streaming or downloading it will drain very fast. If there are apps open and running in the background it will drain your battery. Press and hold the bb key. If there are more than home, message, bbm, phone and browser it will drain your battery. If you are in a poor signal area it will drain your battery. There are many reasons why your battery may be draining fast. Not to be impolite but most of the reasons are self inflicted. The proximity sensor is the least of your problems.
    You're not being very open to discussion of a possible problem. I understand weak signal=batt drain. I live/work in Downtown West Palm Beach FL. (Major City, Populated, excellent Cell Infrastructure) (even at&t doesnt have a weak spot in this area) 5 bars of signal "4G" all day long. I can't think of a time I've seen it under 4 bar. The fact is, whatever is waking up the proximity sensor is waking something else up in the phone.

Holding BB button, I currently have HOME, MESSAGES, PHONE, BBM and BROWSER running with no open pages. GPS and location is currently off, wifi is off, I have full strength 4G, the proximity sensor is blinking away with the phone "dark" and not being used and the phone is warm. I charged it this afternoon, I already have the RED battery indicator. I really dont want to swap my new phone for a used warranty "reconditioned" replacement from ATT when I'm convinced it's software. When I battery pull, proximity sensor will stop blinking and phone will cool off.
    Last edited by ANTHONY@RWHP; 05-11-12 at 11:54 PM.
    05-11-12 11:45 PM
    You're not being very open to discussion of a possible problem. I understand weak signal=batt drain. I live/work in Downtown West Palm Beach FL. (Major City, Populated, excellent Cell Infrastructure) (even at&t doesnt have a weak spot in this area) 5 bars of signal "4G" all day long. I can't think of a time I've seen it under 4 bar. The fact is, whatever is waking up the proximity sensor is waking something else up in the phone.

Holding BB button, I currently have HOME, MESSAGES, PHONE, BBM and BROWSER running with no open pages. GPS and location is currently off, wifi is off, I have full strength 4G, the proximity sensor is blinking away with the phone "dark" and not being used and the phone is warm. I charged it this afternoon, I already have the RED battery indicator. I really dont want to swap my new phone for a used warranty "reconditioned" replacement from ATT when I'm convinced it's software. When I battery pull, proximity sensor will stop blinking and phone will cool off.
    If you're convinced that it's software - easy solution...wipe and reinstall an OS - maybe even a different one from what you're using? Only way to tell for sure..
    05-12-12 12:16 AM
    If you're convinced that it's software - easy solution...wipe and reinstall an OS - maybe even a different one from what you're using? Only way to tell for sure..
    Excellent idea, I'm not sure how to go backwards though. It did an update through desktop manager about 2 months ago. Come to think about it thats about when all this started. Can I just look for an older version of desktop manager and let it update backwards ? if it'll even do that ? I've gotten no responses back from RIM about this over the course of a week now.
    05-12-12 12:20 AM
    Excellent idea, I'm not sure how to go backwards though. It did an update through desktop manager about 2 months ago. Come to think about it thats about when all this started. Can I just look for an older version of desktop manager and let it update backwards ? if it'll even do that ? I've gotten no responses back from RIM about this over the course of a week now.
    Do you use a windows machine?
    05-12-12 12:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD