With the release of the Z10 in my country, the leading local carrier started offering the Bold 9900 at discounted price plans, so much so that it is priced along the lines of budget android phones such as Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini and windows phones such as HTC 8S. With this development, I was wondering whether it is still a good idea to get the Bold 9900. If I get this discounted offer, I will save something like $20 a month in phone bills. Also, I will get a premium device for free. It was the best of it's time and that means it can be expected to have a premium build.

For further background, I haven't had a phone that had a data plan. My phones have all been unlimited texting and calling and I've found it enough. That's what I basically need my phone to do, communication. Now, I've also started wanting unlimited data on my phone but really more for e-mails, facebook, twitter, whatsapp, viber and some general browsing. I also want the unlimited data so that I can tether my Google Nexus 7 to it whenever there is no available Wifi around. I use my Google Nexus 7 for watching videos, playing games and heavy browsing.

Now, considering my situation and my needs, do you guys think it is good for me to still get a Bold 9900? At this day and age when Blackberry is well on its way to BB10, is it still a good idea to get a brand new Bold 9900?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and opinions.
    05-27-13 09:19 AM
    I will state some facts and you make your own conclusion. Decision at the end of the day will be yours and yours only so im just trying to help

I am a Blackberry User since inception.
    I have been through most if not all Blackberry devices through the past 15 years or so.
    At the time i am a Z10 user awaiting for my Q10 this week. I totally adore my Z10 and i cant wait to use the Q10. i am fortunate enough to be able to switch phones without having to worry for the cost that comes with it.

Having said all that i have to say that the 9900 was my favorite device.
    Bear in mind that i do not use apps heavily i use the phone mostly for email - bbm- texting. The apps i used on the 9900 are Whatsapp Bloomberg Shazam and Beweather. i guess i would be using, now that its out, Viber occasionally but thats about it. So i think your needs will be covered as well by the 9900. The only thing you really cannot do on the 9900 is web browsing. its literally a torture. Everything else is simply too good.

So my answer would be go for it. i think you would be pleased
    05-27-13 10:39 AM
    I say go for it as well! I have been considering going to another device besides my 9900 had it for a year now and nothing is wrong with it, I have been itching for something new but honestly there's nothing for me to get.. Don't care for android and I have an iPad mini for my entertainment needs.. Tried windows phone (hated it) and tried bb10 ( not for me right now, I think in a year or so BB will develop the os more that's when I'll take another look at it) so with all that said, I will stay with my 9900 that works so well and that has never let me down! It's a wonderful device and by all means it's my favorite blackberry to date!

It does exactly what you need it to do, Communication! Texting, Emailing, BBM, social networking and calendar organization has never been problem with my 9900...

Sent from my iPad Mini 32GB using Tapatalk
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    05-27-13 10:56 AM
    Concur with some of the assessments we've seen above: If you want a good smartphone with excellent email capabilities, then the 99XX may be for you. If you like playing video games on your phone and/or watching movies, look elsewhere.
    05-27-13 11:59 AM

Now, considering my situation and my needs, do you guys think it is good for me to still get a Bold 9900? At this day and age when Blackberry is well on its way to BB10, is it still a good idea to get a brand new Bold 9900?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and opinions.
    As said before the decision is up to you. IMO the 9900 will serve as an excellent smartphone to help you through the next three iterations of BB10, at least. When BB10 is polished you can make the switch.

It's screen, keyboard and body dimensions are just slightly smaller than the BBQ10 but no front facing camera. Viber and Whats app are also available.
    05-27-13 03:20 PM
    9900 is awesome, I never thought I would use my BB this much after owning 9700 for 4 yrs.
    Best decision I ever made on phones.

Sent from BlackBerry 9900
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    05-27-13 07:01 PM
    Is it true that the battery life on the Bold 9900 is bad?
    06-03-13 10:49 AM
    Is it true that the battery life on the Bold 9900 is bad?
    It used to be but with the latest OS's it is absolutely fine IMO.

For peace of mind you can pick up a genuine JM1 battery from Amazon for next to nothing and it is so small you can easily carry one with you.
    deezy87 likes this.
    06-03-13 11:06 AM
    It used to be but with the latest OS's it is absolutely fine IMO.

For peace of mind you can pick up a genuine JM1 battery from Amazon for next to nothing and it is so small you can easily carry one with you.
    I got myself an external charger with a JM1 spare. I picked that up for under $40 [canadian funds] Do a little browsing here and there and you should come across a decent price for a charger and spare battery.
    06-03-13 03:59 PM
    How do you download the latest OS?
    06-04-13 12:25 AM
    How do you download the latest OS?
    Crackberry has it linked as a sticky at the top of the 9900 forums that you posted in.

Remember to wipe the databases every few months (after backing up with blackberry protect) via desktop manager by selecting Delete Data... And selecting ALL but the following:

Code:
    Addressbook - All
    Address book Options
    Alarms
    Attachment Options
    Autotext Data Version
    BBGroups (aka BBM Groups)
    BIS acccount data (saves from re-adding e-mail addresses)
    BlackBerry Bridge (only for Playbook tablet)
    BlackBerry Messenger
    Bluetooth options (skip for clean state)
    Browser Bookmarks
    Browser Folders (safe to skip if you don't understand what they are)
    Browser Options (skip for clean state)
    Browser Push options
    Calendar - all (skip unless you use all the time)
    Calendar Options (skip for clean state)
    Camera Options
    Clock Options
    Device analyzer options
    Diagnostic App options
    Enhanced GMail plugin (skip if you don't use gmail, or don't need it at all)
    Full-Predictive Options (basically direct or predictive keyboard settings)
    HTML email options
    Icon arrangement (for home screen, app folders)
    Input method switcher options
    Input system properties
    Key store options
    Keystoremanager
    Mailbox icon management
    Map global options
    Map locations
    Map settings
    Maps
    Memopad options
    Memos (memopad)
    Message list options
    Messages (only if you have an @carrier.blackberry.com e-mail address you depend on)
    Messenger options (google, wlm, yahoo, etc. Used for IM apps)
    MMS options
    Mobile Network Options
    Mobile Hotspot Options (OS 7.1 blackberry's only, leave unchecked if you configure it after OS update yourself, as I do)
    NFC options (for NFC devices only)
    Options (obviously what this is for, leave unchecked for factory defaults)
    Phone Options
    Phone Call logs (skip if not a necessity)
    Predictive Multitap options
    Profiles options
    Recent contacts (e-mail autocomplete, safe to skip this)
    Search options (universal search)
    Service book (skip since your carrier resends them each time an update is done, only keep if absolutely needed)
    Shortcut settings
    SMS messages (only if you absolutely need these)
    Sounds (sound profiles)
    Spell check options
    Spellcheckable options
    Suretype options
    Tasks, Tasks Options (skip unless you use that app)
    TCP/IP (APN)
    TLS options
    Theme Settings
    VideoRecorder options (Video Camera app)
    WLAN profiles (Wifi)
    Voice Activated Dialing options (only if you use this)
    And it should work fine and smooth every time it's needed. Also, you could wipe it clean and reload, then restore with blackberry protect. That works the same way.

Don't forget to update BBM to the latest available via blackberry world, since it uses your blackberry ID now.

Edit: Browsing is quite fast on the bold 9900. I do ALLOT of it besides on my playbook and desktop computer. Whoever says it's painful, probably uses javascript-heavy websites that aren't mobile-friendly.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold Touch 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-04-13 03:49 AM
    Yup the 9900 is the way to go. Only downsides of that phone were the camera, screen size and browser. Otherwise still my fav BlackBerry device ever.

Posted via CB10
    06-04-13 03:56 AM
    I think the Bold 9900 is perfect for your needs. Yes, it's true that the battery life is bad. I just got myself an external charger with a Y-cable so you can charge your phone and spare battery simultaneously.

Money Soldiers
    Helping you fight your financial battles
    07-24-13 04:46 AM
    I've had my Bold 9900 for about 10-weeks now and had no problem with battery life, running 7.1.0.714. Yesterday I took it off charge at 04.40 and at 23.00 it was at 50% when I put it back on charge. I'd call that a bad day as it's usually over 60%. It's at least as good as my previous Galaxy S2.
    07-25-13 12:24 AM
    Yup the 9900 is the way to go. Only downsides of that phone were the camera, screen size and browser. Otherwise still my fav BlackBerry device ever.

Posted via CB10
    What's wrong with the browser?

Anyway, OP, go for it. If you mainly use it for communications: texting, bbm, email, and light apps, 9900 is perfect.

I was using Note II and forced to give it up sometime ago. Been looking to replace this 9900 with the Z10, but I assured myself that now's not the right time. Don't get me wrong, BB10 has great potential and gestures are great, but it's still new and I think it still needs refinements from RIM

Besides, this good 'ol 9900 still rocks!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using CB App
    07-30-13 12:25 AM