I am not sure if anyone have asked this question before but I have a bit of a problem I bought a JM1 battery from a store here in Toronto, but I think I may have got taken for a ride and was sold a duffer !!

They really do look identical even the hologram looks good but what I am reading it looks like the serial no on the original or (part no) not sure is DC110603 and the fake is DC110531

The 531 gives me the battery logo x'd out and I have to use this box to get it to work

Is there any way to really tell which one is the genuine JM1

Thanks

01-16-12 05:47 PM
    I think you got a fake one. The little box that you used for the 531 is a pairing device. Without it, your device wont recognize the battery as RIM has put some security measures for fake battery.
    Last edited by mlist84; 01-16-12 at 07:41 PM.
    01-16-12 07:37 PM
    Thanks for the reply

Yes I get the battery symbol with the X in it but what I noticed was the hologram on the BB fake is a stick on where the one on the original is built into the wrapping if that makes any sense ?
    01-16-12 07:42 PM
    I am not sure if anyone have asked this question before but I have a bit of a problem I bought a JM1 battery from a store here in Toronto, but I think I may have got taken for a ride and was sold a duffer !!

They really do look identical even the hologram looks good but what I am reading it looks like the serial no on the original or (part no) not sure is DC110603 and the fake is DC110531

The 531 gives me the battery logo x'd out and I have to use this box to get it to work

Thanks

Question: Is there any way to really tell which one is the genuine JM1

Answer: The 531 gives me the battery logo x'd out and I have to use this box to get it to work

You basically answered it yourself.
    01-16-12 08:51 PM
    I think you got a fake, bub. On my spare battery, the hologram is not a sticker, but part of the wrapping like you said. Also it works like the original...just put it in there...no box to use.
    01-16-12 11:58 PM
    Thanks for the reply

Yes I get the battery symbol with the X in it but what I noticed was the hologram on the BB fake is a stick on where the one on the original is built into the wrapping if that makes any sense ?
    You are correct, the hologram on a genuine battery is made into the wrapping not stuck on.

DC110606
    JSM 9B 02362
    01-17-12 12:00 AM
    sounds like a fake to me.

If it was cheap too, that probably a good sign it isn't official.

However if it still works after you clone it, at least you have a spare.

Intravenously expelled from my BlackBerry 9900 using mindcontrol.
    01-17-12 01:12 AM
    also, try viewing it under UV light compared to your original. I haven't seen a fake yet that duplicated the BB pattern here.
    01-17-12 05:12 AM

Thanks

I would guess that it is not a fake, but a battery containing a known defect.

The number you are referring to is not a part no, it's the date (EG: DC110531 = May 31st 2011).

~3% of batteries manufactured prior to Sept 2011 were defective. The result being that the phone either would not turn on or a red X would appear over the battery icon.

I'd guess someone tried to make a buck selling you a defective battery...
    01-17-12 12:07 PM
    I would guess that it is not a fake, but a battery containing a known defect.

The number you are referring to is not a part no, it's the date (EG: DC110531 = May 31st 2011).

~3% of batteries manufactured prior to Sept 2011 were defective. The result being that the phone either would not turn on or a red X would appear over the battery icon.

I'd guess someone tried to make a buck selling you a defective battery...
    If it's a defective battery, the box wouldn't have helped....would it?
    01-25-12 03:49 AM
    You got a fake battery, and I'll explain the box, my explanation isn't spot on, but I've sort of modified it so that most people can hopefully understand the point.

BlackBerry batteries (and I believe some other batteries too) have tiny little chips on board, which are responsible for holding what I can best explain as a "code" which is written onto the chip during manufacturing at the plant, this code is read by your device when it boots up, at which point your device runs a fairly complex series of calculations using the code the battery provided and some software your BlackBerry has on board to determine if the battery is genuine or fake, if it's fake, you'll get the little red X battery on screen, if it's genuine, your device will boot per usual.

The box bridges the two batteries, so that the fake battery can "copy" the code from the real battery, your genuine battery doesn't so much discriminate when it will or won't send the code, it sends it anytime something begins pulling current from the cells inside, so when you connect the box between your two batteries, your genuine battery detects current draw and sends the code along, the fake takes the code and will at least temporarily remember it, so that when you place that fake battery in your device, it sends a genuine code to your device, and the device boots.

The fact that you've found the hologram is just "stuck" onto the exterior wrap is also an indication that you've got a fake battery, real wrappers have the hologram integrated into the wrap itself, The last battery I know for sure had a "stuck on" hologram was the CS-2 from the Curve 8300 series, as well as some very early DX-1s from the 8900/9630.

Just because I'm curious, how much did you pay for the battery? Most of the time your not going to get a genuine battery for less than 30 dollars, and I'd say anything for less than 20 is without doubt a counterfeit. If you've got an older device, you may remember how BlackBerry batteries used to have a lock symbol on the wrapping, that lock symbol indicated that the battery has this "secure" system on board, and while batteries no longer have the symbol, they still feature this system.

If it's a defective battery, the box wouldn't have helped....would it?
    Short answer: Probably not.
    Last edited by xDAKx; 01-25-12 at 05:04 AM.
    01-25-12 04:58 AM
    08-15-13 11:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD