So I've had my 9900 for a year now and I have about 300 songs in my music folder via drag and drop method. I just bought a car deck and I'm having a couple issues in creating a playlist.

Right now, I have 300 songs in total - 250 of which I'd like to play in my car, organized into separate playlists. For example, I'd like to make 3 playlists, consisting of 100 hip hop, 100 rock, and 50 pop. Is there a way to do this over the computer without Media Sync? I find that with Media Sync, it will fail to recognize that I already HAVE all the songs on my phone, and it'll duplicate every single one broken down by album and artist. So not only will I have double of the 250 songs I'd like to play in the car, I'll also have a very messy looking folder breakdown. I don't know about your preferences, but personally, I'd just like everything organized like: "BlackBerry/Music/nameofsong.mp3".

I even tried creating a playlist using WMP so that the .m3u file will search for the songs on my 9900. For example, I have 300 songs on my H:\, which is the BlackBerry SD card, and so I created a playlist sourcing the files from my phone. Even then, the phone won't recognize the playlist. It'll recognize that there is a playlist present, but it will fail to find where the files are.

After 4 hours of playing around, fiddling with file extensions, and searching for a solution, I'm about to give up and just delete all 300 songs on my phone, and just proceed with the Media Sync. It'll look like absolute crap and I'll lose about 50 songs in the process, as I'm not about to keep track of which 50 songs are NOT in the playlists, but at least I'll have my playlists for my car.

If anyone has ANY suggestions, pls let me know. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
    10-28-12 05:36 PM
    I know exactly what you mean.

I used to love how I could make playlists and organize songs/media on my Sony Ericsson W-series phone and almost cried when my BB wouldn't play by similar rules.

I've given up on finding a worthy alternative... at this point I just stream music in the car and leave it at that (sadly). I REALLY hope that the bbx stuff puts a bit more emphasis on media and entertainment.
    10-29-12 09:49 AM
    Same problem here. I add music to my phone by folders and then go on my bb to create a playlist of that folder (or album). As for the "mix" playlist (stuff I like to play when walking, jogging, etc) I have to go through all the songs on my card (over 5GBs of it) and add them to a playlist one at a time on my BB. freaking annoying!

Let's hope BB10 does it better!

I have never found a third party app to change this. If someone knows of one out there, i hope they correct us!!!!
    10-29-12 09:57 AM
    BB10 wouldn't solve this issue unless they tweak the phone's media system though, no? Even then, any phone preceding the 10 would still have this problem. Currently, it's BB Desktop Software that is programmed to organize everything by artist and album, and while we can import a playlist from the computer, we can't manually create a playlist from the songs on the phone. A simple solution would be to just integrate a couple options into the BB Desktop Software, asking how you would like the program to organize your files by instead of automatically organizing into album/artist, and to search for duplicates, sort of like how you organize files on your computer for the last decade.... :/

I was really hoping nobody would reply with a "essentially, I had to suck it up, and just add each file into a playlist individually through the phone's horrible interface" comment lol. It's ridiculously tedious to add one song to playlist -> options -> add another song to playlist -> browse for songs -> select song -> add song to playlist -> options -> add another song to playlist................................x200 x number of overlapping playlists

Thanks for both your input though. It's unfortunate, but I'm glad I'm not alone, I suppose, haha.
    10-29-12 10:38 AM
    I changed from a 9700 to a 9900. I found working with playlist became impossible. I currently have a 32g sim card with about 5500 songs on it. Yea, it's a lot. I love music. Anyways, using the phone to create playlists was not an option. On my 9700 I used to use MP3 Tag to do all of my tagging, and creating playlists. When I upgrade to the 9900, this did not work. I think the reason it doesn't work, is that when you plug the phone into the laptop, the phone shows 2 separate drives. Internal memory and external memory. So when you create a playlist, it attaches a drive letter to it. The drive letter only exists when connected to the computer. It means nothing to the phone OS. Thus, I have tried several programs to create playlist files. None have worked. I finally tried Winamp to create and modify playlists. It's the only thing that worked for me. The one tip I would give is that the response to the phone through Winamp is slow, so be patient. I also connect my phone to my vehicle both through direct connection and Bluetooth Audio. No problems with the playlists. Hope this helps everybody.
    axis. likes this.
    10-29-12 08:12 PM
    I changed from a 9700 to a 9900. I found working with playlist became impossible. I currently have a 32g sim card with about 5500 songs on it. Yea, it's a lot. I love music. Anyways, using the phone to create playlists was not an option. On my 9700 I used to use MP3 Tag to do all of my tagging, and creating playlists. When I upgrade to the 9900, this did not work. I think the reason it doesn't work, is that when you plug the phone into the laptop, the phone shows 2 separate drives. Internal memory and external memory. So when you create a playlist, it attaches a drive letter to it. The drive letter only exists when connected to the computer. It means nothing to the phone OS. Thus, I have tried several programs to create playlist files. None have worked. I finally tried Winamp to create and modify playlists. It's the only thing that worked for me. The one tip I would give is that the response to the phone through Winamp is slow, so be patient. I also connect my phone to my vehicle both through direct connection and Bluetooth Audio. No problems with the playlists. Hope this helps everybody.
    I'm currently trying to transfer my playlists. Winamp is definitely progressing more so than WMP; however, when I'm "transferring" (I'm not sure what it's transferring, really, but there aren't any duplicates, and it's creating the playlist) the playlist/songs, a few songs will indicate that the transfer failed. Any idea on why this is?
    10-30-12 12:19 AM
    Hi jaydee,

Our app automatically generates playlists for all your songs by folders. I am sure you would find it very useful, we just released it into App World. https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...00856/?lang=en

Thanks
    12-04-12 11:27 AM