I've heard people complain about so much features that BlackBerries are missing, but I'm amazed that at this day and age, even the flagship BlackBerry(the Bold 9900) does not have a front facing camera. RIM keeps giving us the same features in every phone with basically the same software, no real difference and we still accept it and go crazy over it like idiots. We need a front facing camera on the next BlackBerry RIM!!!!!
    ysullivan likes this.
    12-06-11 08:35 PM
    OK, will probably have one. Maybe someone will come up with one you can mount on the phone and it will work thru the usb port until then.

If anyone does this please send royalties to ...............me.
    westiewanderer likes this.
    12-06-11 08:47 PM
    I'm gonna sound sexist.
    But.

I've only seen girls use the front facing camera.
    Ever. And when they do its for very short bursts of time.
    12-06-11 08:53 PM
    yea ive never had a need for one.
    12-06-11 08:55 PM
    Nice to have, but I've never used it on any of my devices that do have one (iPod touch, PlayBook).
    12-06-11 09:53 PM
    The first time I unboxed my 9900 and saw the small glass circle next to the led light, my first thought was they finally added a front facing camera. Lol!!! Just like the post above, I don't really see my self using a front facing camera.
    12-06-11 10:37 PM
    I never used one, and I can't see the need for one (for me at the moment)
    12-06-11 10:40 PM
    Definitely not a feature that BB needs. Its not a toy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    watervapr likes this.
    12-06-11 10:49 PM
    One of the few advantages I could see with a front facing camera would be that if and when they come up with a video chat feature for the BB10 OS, then it would come in handy...and if skype ever comes out for the BlackBerry..then again it would come in handy.

Another possible use would be if facebook integrated video calling into it's mobile app like it has on the desktop..then the front facing camera would also come in handy.
    chanpisan and Spencerdl like this.
    12-06-11 10:58 PM
    If the back camera is 5mp without autofocus I wonder how the fromt facing one would be like
    12-06-11 11:10 PM
    Get a droid or iphone if you wanna play
    wolfee48 likes this.
    12-06-11 11:11 PM
    I can say that I've used the front facing camera on my PlayBook a few times to upload video updates when I'm out of town via the facebook mobile app. It's a lot easier then shlepping my laptop home....
    12-06-11 11:20 PM
    If the back camera is 5mp without autofocus I wonder how the fromt facing one would be like
    Unless you hold your device right up to your face (and I mean right as in 2" in front of you), an edof camera would be just fine for a front facing camera. The current iDevices use a VGA unit, and the PlayBook uses a 3mp unit - used both without any issues.
    12-07-11 12:33 AM
    One of the few advantages I could see with a front facing camera would be that if and when they come up with a video chat feature for the BB10 OS, then it would come in handy...and if skype ever comes out for the BlackBerry..then again it would come in handy.

Another possible use would be if facebook integrated video calling into it's mobile app like it has on the desktop..then the front facing camera would also come in handy.
    Great point.

I know that FFC as a business tool would fly over some peoples heads, but it could be a valuable feature to have. It has come up big the few times (admittedly) that I've used it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Eli_B likes this.
    12-07-11 01:09 AM
    Of all 4 major platforms, the blackberry is the ONLY one incapable of video calling/video conferencing. Get a front camera, pay the developers off, and let us have this basic function. I remember my old nokia N something (the first nokia with a front camera) had the ability to video call.

Can't blame the press and the general public for thinking that rim is old and outdated.
    12-07-11 01:59 AM
    Get a droid or iphone if you wanna play
    defeatist mentality. sticking to the stereotypes. you probably still believe that apple's app store only sell fart apps.
    shemaree09 likes this.
    12-07-11 02:01 AM
    Geez... And people wonder why RIM is having issues. I don't use the front facing camera often, but it has been a welcome addition when my spouse or I go TDY. Our 3 year old loves being able to see her mother when she is away for 3 weeks on a trip.

Just because YOU may not need a front facing camera, doesn't mean it shouldn't have one. Having options is what it's about. In fact... I know a local business here in Alaska that uses the feature all the time when dealing with their vendors.

There are many positives to having a front facing camera, can you tell me a negative? If you don't plan on using it that's fine, but wouldn't you like to have that option? I like choices. Don't you?
    shemaree09 and Coachbulldog like this.
    12-07-11 03:51 AM
    I've never had the need for a front facing camera. I have made one video call on a 3G phone and that was way back when 3G phone were first out in the Uk and I traialled it with a mate who had one as well. The call was about 20 seconds and never seen the need since.

I do have skype on my iPod touch and have made a test call with that but nothing more. I have never been in a situation to do a video call with that where I haven't had a laptop / netbook with me.

There are much bigger things RIM need to work on than fitting a front facing camera.
    12-07-11 04:41 AM
    I've never had the need for a front facing camera. I have made one video call on a 3G phone and that was way back when 3G phone were first out in the Uk and I traialled it with a mate who had one as well. The call was about 20 seconds and never seen the need since.

I do have skype on my iPod touch and have made a test call with that but nothing more. I have never been in a situation to do a video call with that where I haven't had a laptop / netbook with me.

There are much bigger things RIM need to work on than fitting a front facing camera.
    Agreed, but a front facing camera should be an easy feature to add and it will make a world of difference to the phone. Maybe skype will actually remove its limits from just verizon blackberries if that happens.
    12-07-11 06:02 AM
    Great point.

I know that FFC as a business tool would fly over some peoples heads, but it could be a valuable feature to have. It has come up big the few times (admittedly) that I've used it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Ok... I think you sold me on that. You're right. Flew right over my head.
    12-07-11 10:23 AM
    OUT OF YOUR MINDS!!!! Have you any IDEA how VALUABLE a front facing camera is?? I use my iPod touch now almost exclusively for client meetings, talking to my girlfriend, my daughter, when she's at her mom's.....so to the dolts who said it's only for girls....ummm.....really??? Neanderthals.

a ffc is a complete and absolute necessity in this day and age. RIM is WAY behind.
    shemaree09 likes this.
    05-31-12 11:40 PM
    I've never had to use a front facing camera before except on my iPhone 4 when I used FaceTime (which was only once or twice). But you shouldn't complain about the 9900 lacking a front facing camera, because I consider it lacking a back camera as well since it is horrendous.
    06-01-12 07:30 AM
    It can be a fabulous BUSINESS tool if and when we ever get video conferencing.

But saying it's just for kids and girls to play on is pure hogwash. Just because RIM didn't see fit to put it on does not mean it's not wanted.

And badmouthing an option just because we don't have have it, Well that just makes you sound silly and jealous. Rather or not some users would regularly make use of it or not does not meant it shouldn't be made available.

Like the iphone crowd a few years ago saying "who needs MMS?" when even the most basic feature phone would let you send pictures. Put the damn FFC on the phone and if you choose NOT to use that is your choice.
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    06-01-12 08:02 AM
    yes the blackberry is incapable of video calling.i think the blackberry have to work on it for improve his services.
    06-01-12 08:17 AM
    I agree! It would be a great thing for RIM to have, at least, one Blackberry device with a front facing camera for video calling.
    If RIM wants to get back in the game they need to provide the same options that other platform users have and keep those featuers that current users love.

If we tell RIM that we don't need anything else and that their devices are perfect the way they are now, then they're Doomed.
    06-01-12 10:40 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD