My daughters 9900 the dreaded flashing red light - nothing works problem happened yesterday. I have searched the threads for hours and cannot find anything that works. I have downloaded 7.0.540 which I am using on my 9900 and also downloaded DM but the problem is the phone is not detected when I connect it to my computer.

She is heading back to university in a couple of hours and does not have any phone at this time.

Any suggestions at all.

Thanks in advance.
    01-20-12 07:39 AM
    I have read people with bricked devices successfully loading Os 7.1. Try a newer Os. Be sure to remove the previous Os from your pc before updating. Best of luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-20-12 08:45 AM
    It is amazing that after months that the 9900 was released and a lot of people has bricked phones RIM has not released a fix to this issue.

A company that try to hide what is the main issue or a company that could not release a fix for this type of issue in over 4 months is almost dead.

How a company plans to compete against Apple or Google if they don't know how to fix their own phones?

If it is too difficult for RIM to fix the bricking issue now imagine that is impossible for them to release better phones than Apple, Samsung, or Nokia.
    01-20-12 09:05 AM
    My daughters 9900 the dreaded flashing red light - nothing works problem happened yesterday. I have searched the threads for hours and cannot find anything that works. I have downloaded 7.0.540 which I am using on my 9900 and also downloaded DM but the problem is the phone is not detected when I connect it to my computer.

She is heading back to university in a couple of hours and does not have any phone at this time.

Any suggestions at all.

Thanks in advance.
    Seems like it's almost luck recovering from this issue. Your best bet is to follow the instruction here: http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101...ked-blackberry

Note step 2, and pay special attention to the part about removing the battery.

If it doesn't work right away, don't give up. I've people here who were able to recover their phone, but it took 10's of attempts before they got lucky...

Good luck!
    01-20-12 09:30 AM
    I tried everything possible to recover mine, and nothing worked. I tried for days, reading every post on crackberry about the blinking red light and bricked 9900's, but eventually I had to admit defeat and get AT&T to send me a "new" one. So far, no issues with the replacement (knocking on wood) other than the fact that the keyboard squeaked. I just exchanged keyboards with my brick before I sent it back.
    01-20-12 01:18 PM
    R E T U R N the phone!!! It will not work it's too much headache! get it exchanged from your carrier!
    01-20-12 01:36 PM
    It is amazing that after months that the 9900 was released and a lot of people has bricked phones RIM has not released a fix to this issue.

A company that try to hide what is the main issue or a company that could not release a fix for this type of issue in over 4 months is almost dead.
    And this helped the OP HOW?
    How a company plans to compete against Apple or Google if they don't know how to fix their own phones?

If it is too difficult for RIM to fix the bricking issue now imagine that is impossible for them to release better phones than Apple, Samsung, or Nokia.
    And this helped the OP by what?!?

01-20-12 06:48 PM

I can assure you that you don't the how to
    01-20-12 07:04 PM
    Just get it replaced. Save the effort
    01-20-12 07:40 PM

There is no software fix for it. That is why most people who bought a 9930 the day they were released have not bricked.

This is a hardware issue with later models.

End of story.

Period.

End of discussion.

Now, who wants to make out?

01-20-12 09:31 PM
    Mine came back after one battery pull. I'm on 7.1 now (9930) and its never happened again. I must have been lucky.

I did get a JVM error though which bricked my phone for good a while ago while on .374
    I think there is a way to bring the device back to live if there is no eternal error. I had the blinking light issue on my Storm2 once and something was wrong with the battery... I plugged it in and it booted up. And as I said, with my 9930, I did a battery pull and it booted up fine.

Good luck to your daughter! When I got the JVM error I was at school myself and didn't have a phone for a full weekend (And I'm away on the east coast... so my parents back home in Los Angeles weren't too happy about me not being able to be contacted).
    01-21-12 12:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD