Hi all,

I'd first off like to state I hold no ties or real 'loyalty' to any phone OS I am really in the market for what phone is right for me. I have in the past had a 9700 which I regret selling horribly, I would buy a 9780 but I cant stand OS6 on that form factor, ie without the touch screen, however not a fan of the Torch >.<.

My current phone is a pile of 'rubbishness' and needs replacing fairly urgently.The Bold 9900 is a likely candidate but I do have a few questions about the device in general, I have searched for answers to these but they come in VERY varied flavors;

- Will it get me through a day at university? Sending maximum of 10 emails a day receiving at the high end 30. Mostly wifi off, and zero bluetooth. Then just using it for 2 hours on the train a day, apps, music, web or whatever...

- Can it browse the web like my ipod touch? I've watched all the reviews but I am very reluctant to go try one out until Im sure, so I'm just looking for a quick comparison here, I will try before I buy but I got conned horribly last time I walked into a phone shop. Once bitten, twice shy!

- Can it sync any better with my mac than the 9700? My one gripe with the 9700 was the fact I didn't bother syncing because it was terrible in all honesty. I have a partition with Windows but I barely use it ever so its not very practical, if not I'll just use google sync and sync the majority of what I need there

- SKYPE This ones a big one. Anything on this? I had my first proper video call the other day over Skype and several since. Friends all have it on the move yadda yadda yadda... It would be very much something that could be a deal breaker if the other points were covered by other phones.

Ultimately the 9900 has something no other phone has and thats that gorgeous keyboard. Get one or not I will forever drool over photos and certainly give one a try.

I believe this was the right forum. I did ponder before I clicked 'Submit new thread' still am, but I think this belongs here, I apologise if not.

Thanks Crackberriers!
    09-28-11 04:24 PM
    Great battery life to get through the day for sure, browsing is on par with iPod. As for the sync, I'm still trying to figure this one out and the skype question I'm not sure of either. This is an awesome device! I run a business and like you, need good battery life and this delivers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-28-11 04:30 PM
    Thanks very much! I was a bit worried as people seem to be making a big thing of the battery life dying on them, but at the moment on my current device its all settings on low and no use to get me through a day so anything would be an improvement! I'd like to make sure if I'm paying for a device though I can use it fully, without having to worry about battery and such things

Awesome news about the browsing. I am forever just 'checking something on the internet' and my phones often the closest thing at hand.

I'm sure someone can come along and answer the last two, Skypes looking like a no, but theres still hope someone knows something, and then theres that keyboard!

Thanks for the reply!
    09-28-11 04:39 PM
    Question 1. it depends on your schools walls. For example, my 9650 can live a few days at my house (always full signal) but only a few hours at my school. (very poor signal.)

question 2. probably a bit better.

Q3. I think the syncing would be the same.

Q4. no. skype is only available for VZW BBs.
    09-28-11 05:00 PM
    9780 is the way to go

9900's batt life is not so good yet.

I have no syncing issue with my 9700 on my Mac.

Sent via BB Tapatalk.
    tk338 likes this.
    09-28-11 05:05 PM
    No problem. If you like a keyboard and touch on one device you will love this one. The main reason I got this phone is because of that combo. It is very unique!

Thanks very much! I was a bit worried as people seem to be making a big thing of the battery life dying on them, but at the moment on my current device its all settings on low and no use to get me through a day so anything would be an improvement! I'd like to make sure if I'm paying for a device though I can use it fully, without having to worry about battery and such things

Awesome news about the browsing. I am forever just 'checking something on the internet' and my phones often the closest thing at hand.

I'm sure someone can come along and answer the last two, Skypes looking like a no, but theres still hope someone knows something, and then theres that keyboard!

Thanks for the reply!
    09-28-11 05:20 PM
    Skype works perfectly on the 9930. The voice clarity is the same as if I made a regular call. No video calls though. But from my experience non wifi video calls are pointless, due to current 3G network speeds.
    09-28-11 06:30 PM
    I get through the day and my workplace has a terrible signal. Switching to 2G during the day adds about 50% to battery life and for email, facebook, twitter and lighter webpages, that's just fine. During the day, it is a phone and email device only. The browser is very usable. Albeit, a full touchscreen is more pleasing overall, BUT the touchpad is awesome when using the browser. You can use is as a mouse and cursor, which is very accurate on links, and use the touchscreen to scroll, pinch and zoom. I HATED touch screen only devices becuase I had to zoom in close to make the navigation large enough to allow my fat finger to tap the correct link. Never a problem with the 9900. You would be surprised how quickly you will type, use the touch pad and the touch screen efficiently. It is really a great phone. Absolutely the ideal phone for ME.

tk338 likes this.
    09-28-11 10:51 PM
    no you can't browse like ipod touch since the screen is a different class but its very fast

For your usage, i think its ok. Not too bad and should last you the whole day. I just dont know how long you take to reply 1 e-mail...

But overall the phone is great one... I am enjoying it other than the poor battery life I am experiencing. Its worst than my 9800.

- Charles
    09-29-11 05:11 AM
    A fried at AT&T told me that even Skype video will work but not on the current 3G network. It is slated to work on their 4G network next year. The catch is that you will have to sign up for the faster 4G network losing your Unlimited 3G plan!
    09-29-11 05:21 AM
    ...battery life seems, at least from reading a lot of CB's forums, a very much hit-and-miss affair, which could be dependent on usage, signal, applications (like Facebook) and the build location / quality of the device itself.
    For me, running the stock OS, I usually manage to go two reasonably moderate days - calls, emails, texts, several apps - before needing to charge (at 15% - 20% or so). I do, however, work in a building w/ terrible signal problems, so I turn off my connections for around 6 1/2 hours a day (and on for 30 minutes or so at lunchtime). All in all, I'm very happy w/ it and have had no problems.
    The browsing is similarly very good, fast and snappy w/ pages being easy to navigate. I don't use a Mac or Skype, sorry.
    It's an all-round great phone tho', as other posters have pointed out the keyboard and touchscreen combination is fab and I've suffered no major (or minor, really) problems w/ it at all. Of course these kinds of things can be so subjective, but for me this phone is a champ.
    tk338 likes this.
    09-29-11 11:08 AM
    Thank you very much all for your replies, having been overwhelmed with work, my current phone giving up the ghost and not time to really get onto a pc for leisurely purposes, I can only offer these as excuses for my late reply.

I now have 2 options. I am on an extremely limited budget for a while, however I have no phone! I can pay �60 to end my contract early and then take out a new contract, or sit out 4 months with my sisters ancient device, not a smart phone and not at all useful, I've found myself lost without the maps, internet, news and email I am used to 24/7.

I went in and tried the 9900 and loved it in all honesty, the keyboard was amazing, as was the touch screen, I switched to a 9780 for comparison and found myself trying to touch the OS but it wasn't having any of it >.<

Decisions decisions!
    09-30-11 03:45 PM
    If there is anyway to scarf up enough doe to get the 9900...do it! It's a device you will be able to hang onto long term...so look at it as an investment!

09-30-11 04:46 PM
    I have a 9930 unlocked on the ATT network. Battery life has been fine so far and will certainly will not be overly challenged by your modest usage. A spare battery is not expensive and frankly this is something I have invested in for every phone I have ever bought. (It's small enough to fit in the key pocket of my jeans so no big deal and charges along with my phone so it's always good to go). The browser is fine for what you will need - not great but perfectly acceptable. If you want a real browsing experience you will never get that on a small screen regardless of OS. As far as I can tell, no SKYPE app available yet. I don't sync my phone other than via my BES service and I drag files to my memory card via the USB so I ca't tell you about the MAC. I can tell you however, that this is the BEST keyboard I have ever used. I'm kinda pathetic with phones, changing them often and usually buying unlocked (yes, I know, crazy but it's my thing) and I have owned dozens of them. This is by far the BEST keyboard I have ever used. No contest really!!! I will be keeping this phone for some time.
    09-30-11 05:01 PM
    Hi again! I just thought I'd update, not the ideal outcome for this forum, but I'm happy

I went onto the O2 shop, basically I need to upgrade asap as living without a smartphone is proving a lot more difficult than I thought. I absolutely rely on one for so many things and the lack of one was proving difficult.

I had to pay to upgrade from my contract several months early so before I'd had to pay anything I was lumped with an �80 fee for upgrading. I duly paid in exchange for a free 9360. It got good reviews, and apparently blows the 9780 out of the water. Considering I'm still pining after my 9700 its what I'm after, so yes.

The 9900 however did really impressed me, had I had a job and time to be able to make the decision or wait around for one I would, a curve is no Bold. That said for the severe price difference for upgrading, my lack of money and need for a phone urgently the curve it was.

Thank you all for your replies again, I hope one day to maybe again join you bold owners when I have a job!
    10-04-11 04:47 AM
    Great battery life to get through the day for sure, browsing is on par with iPod. As for the sync, I'm still trying to figure this one out and the skype question I'm not sure of either. This is an awesome device! I run a business and like you, need good battery life and this delivers.

I have the same to say. The battery life is not as good as some BBs but it easily gets me through the day. I take it off the charger at 7:00am and I still have 40-50% when I go to bed at 11:00pm. It is on par with the Storm2 I upgraded from in battery life but not as good as the Curve 8330 I had prior to that.

I use myFunambol wireless sync to sync between Outlook and my device. Works great. You may want to see if they have a Mac plugin.
    10-04-11 07:21 AM
    I get through the day and my workplace has a terrible signal. Switching to 2G during the day adds about 50% to battery life and for email, facebook, twitter and lighter webpages, that's just fine. During the day, it is a phone and email device only. The browser is very usable. Albeit, a full touchscreen is more pleasing overall, BUT the touchpad is awesome when using the browser. You can use is as a mouse and cursor, which is very accurate on links, and use the touchscreen to scroll, pinch and zoom. I HATED touch screen only devices becuase I had to zoom in close to make the navigation large enough to allow my fat finger to tap the correct link. Never a problem with the 9900. You would be surprised how quickly you will type, use the touch pad and the touch screen efficiently. It is really a great phone. Absolutely the ideal phone for ME.

How do you switch to 2G for more battery life?
    10-04-11 08:24 AM
    How do you switch to 2G for more battery life?
    Tap on the top of the screen, and the 'manage connection' screen will appear. Scroll down to the 'options and status' part, tap on 'networks and connections', tap 'mobile network', the last part says 'network mode' --> here from the drop-down list you choose '2G'.

Voil�, fertig, done :-)
    10-04-11 09:49 AM
    Tap on the top of the screen, and the 'manage connection' screen will appear. Scroll down to the 'options and status' part, tap on 'networks and connections', tap 'mobile network', the last part says 'network mode' --> here from the drop-down list you choose '2G'.

Voil�, fertig, done :-)
    This doesn't work on the 9930. Check the screenshot:

10-04-11 10:14 AM
    This doesn't work on the 9930. Check the screenshot:

Click to view quoted image

Me bad...
    joeye333's model is 9850 - I though it not to be the CDMA version... Wrong.
    It is similar in connectivity to 9930, so you are presented with quite different network choices, as on your screen :-(

Here you have the choice as:
    - GSM/UMTS to allow connections to GSM networks only
    - 1XEV to allow connections to CDMA networks only
    - Global to allow connections to available CDMA or GSM networks

... but unfortunately AFAIK any of the choices can also be 2G or 3G (and on some networks even the 4G appears, to add to the confusion). So let the more experienced ones speak on the subject.

And me, I will just listen and learn
    10-04-11 10:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD