Hi there.

I am saving up for a 9900 now, to buy without a contract so I can just put my SIM into it until the end of my contract. I would like to ask a few questions about the areas surrounding the 9900.

-Should I wait for the new QNX devices? I'm hearing news that they'll be fully touchscreen, which I don't want. Will there be any full keyboard handsets?

-I have heard a lot of controversy about the holster/pouch of the 9900 scratching the screen and the rear of the handset due to constant rubbing. I have thought to either singe the fibres to make them smooth or simply apply a thin layer of resin over it. I don't want an external case since I like my BlackBerry device holstered and I don't really like the idea of a screen protector, only as last resorts. Will the 9700's pouch fit the 9900, even though it's considerably wider?

I would like to make my decision within two weeks when I will have the money for the handset.

Thanks for any insight.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-15-11 04:11 PM
    I have a Bold 9930, the holster comes with it and I've had no problems at all. I really think that could be another myth that just is not true. It is nice that BB actually gives you the case when you buy it. If you work at a sand pit and have sand and sweat blowing around all day, or if you are a mud-wrestler then maybe. I work in an office and have never had any problem with the screen.
    If you are thinking about a QNX phone, next Tuesday we may get word on when they come out. Frankly the Bold 9930 is so nice I don't think you can top it. For apple like multi-media you may want to wait but if I wanted and iPhone I would have one. I think the QNX phone is going to be a multi-media marvel but how can you improve on the Bold 9930 keyboard. I don't see it.
    I tell you, if Mike L. had died of cancer instead of Steve J. I'm sure the next myth would be that BlackBerry's cause cancer. Of course no one will say that about apple. They can make phones that drop your calls, block the buy buttons on Kindle and Google books, reject Flash, and somehow it is all overlooked.

The Bold 9930 is an awesome device that just works and looks great. A free case is a plus not a minus. Sorry to vent but that is just a crock of pup.
    Guatiao and FlashFlare11 like this.
    10-15-11 04:51 PM
    Thanks for your advice. I've sort of made up my mind on whether to buy it and I'll give the pouch holster a go. Vodafone ought to replace my device if anything does happen to it.

I do see what you mean about Apple being overlooked. The other day, there was no such word in the media that iCloud was causing data clearing problems for iOS 5 applications. What did it focus on instead? RIM. Nothing but RIM. Not that I hate Apple, their products are great and so easy to use. It's just the select few users who are biblically attached to their electronic devices and bash everyone else to the max. I don't exactly see Samsung bashing HTC or Sony Ericsson bashing RIM. My BlackBerry device has served me better than what an iPhone could; the IT department at work won't allow work emails to be pushed to iPhone users, only BlackBerry users.

10-15-11 05:01 PM
    No problems with any scratching from the holster with my 9900. Also, people keep saying the battery door cover scratches easily, but mine still looks like new and I don't have a case on it.
    10-15-11 07:57 PM
    I have a Bold 9930, the holster comes with it and I've had no problems at all. I really think that could be another myth that just is not true. It is nice that BB actually gives you the case when you buy it. If you work at a sand pit and have sand and sweat blowing around all day, or if you are a mud-wrestler then maybe. I work in an office and have never had any problem with the screen.
    If you are thinking about a QNX phone, next Tuesday we may get word on when they come out. Frankly the Bold 9930 is so nice I don't think you can top it. For apple like multi-media you may want to wait but if I wanted and iPhone I would have one. I think the QNX phone is going to be a multi-media marvel but how can you improve on the Bold 9930 keyboard. I don't see it.
    I tell you, if Mike L. had died of cancer instead of Steve J. I'm sure the next myth would be that BlackBerry's cause cancer. Of course no one will say that about apple. They can make phones that drop your calls, block the buy buttons on Kindle and Google books, reject Flash, and somehow it is all overlooked.

The Bold 9930 is an awesome device that just works and looks great. A free case is a plus not a minus. Sorry to vent but that is just a crock of pup.
    You are absolutely correct! I really like this statement!

I personally don't have the 9900, but I'm a very proud owner of a Torch 9810 and I could not see myself using another phone. Most people think that BBOS7 isn't that much of an improvement over OS6, but they couldn't be farther from the truth. OS7 can do pretty much everything that matters just as well as iOS, and, from what I hear, is better at being an actual phone. The browser on all OS7 devices are crisp. Unless you want movies on your phone, there shouldn't be much difference, media wise.

Rumors are that the first BBX/QNX device will be a full-touchscreen phone. The keyboard on my Torch (which is supposed to be worse than the Bold's) is amazing. I honestly don't know if I can buy a device without a physical keyboard ever again.

I say go for the Bold. The 1st generation BBX phones will most likely have some bugs to fix and problems to iron out. Hopefully, this isn't the case, but it's very much a possibility. OS7 is a very good OS and isn't very far from iOS and Android.
    10-15-11 09:18 PM
    Joel Zimmerman? Deadmau5?!
    10-15-11 11:30 PM
    I've been using the factory supplied holster since day 1 with no marks on the screen.
    But if you are really worried about the supplied holster you can get the BB leather holster which looks like the one it came with but in a really nice leather. Haven't heard anyone complain about that one marking the screen.
    10-16-11 12:46 AM
    Nothing is wrong with the screen. The 9930 slips and slides in really easy! Bold 9700 case will not work with 9900.

10-16-11 02:09 AM
    From what i understand it wasn't the pouch that comes with the 9900 from some carriers(Vodafone) but the holster(with a belt clip) that came from others that caused some problems, Verizon if i remember correctly so i wouldn't worry.

10-16-11 03:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD