Hi,
    I'm from Italy and I'm working temporarily here in the US.
    I need a phone and since I've always use a BlackBerry, I want to buy one brand new.
    I was thinking about the BlackBerry Bold 9900 or 9930 and since I'll use it when I come back in Italy, I need to buy it unlocked.
    So I have a few questions:
    - first of all, is it legal buy a BB unlocked?
    - where I can buy an unlocked BB?
    - will it works in Italy with my italian sim card?
    - a BB unlocked means that I will not have anymore a guarantee?
    - will I have problems to download firmware and so on?
    Thanks for any answers.
    09-10-11 09:32 AM
    Yes, it is legal to buy an unlocked BB.
    You will likely have to look online to find a 3rd-party vendor who has purchased BBs and unlocked them for resale. I don't think carriers will sell them unlocked, but you could pay full retail for a BB off contract, then unlock it yourself.
    It should work in Italy as long as it has the same radio frequencies as your Italian carrier service. You'll need to research that before you buy.
    Unlocking a BB does not void your warranty, to my knowledge. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
    You can install any OS on any supported BB. Unlocking does not affect this. You may not be able to use the OTA update to load an OS from your carrier, but you can sideload any OS you want.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-10-11 10:21 AM
    Unlocking a BB does not void your warranty, to my knowledge. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
    You are totally correct.
    09-10-11 01:40 PM
    Thanks for your answers.
    I know that Best Buy sell unlocked BB... Could you please tell me another stores where I can buy unlocked phone?
    09-10-11 02:16 PM
    I tbink you should get a 9900 not 30 for there is no cdma in Italy.

09-11-11 04:43 AM
    I bought the bold 9900 outright from Rogers (canada) and had them unlock it for $50 (cheaper to do it through a third party)
    It worked great and i loved it for the 3 months i was in canada. Now that i am Europe and just using a pay as u go sim card, it will not let me log into the phone. It says my blackberry ID passowrd is worng... IT IS NOT WRONG!!!

I have had to go back to my old tour (unlocked)

HELP
    09-11-11 09:09 AM
    Have you tried reseting your blackberry id via BlackBerry ID ?
    Canuck13 likes this.
    09-11-11 12:44 PM
    hey silviatevini! I am from albania, but currently living in USA. I would recommend for you to buy the 9900, you can then go to ebay.com and search for bold 9900 unlock code and they sell for $0.99. Do not buy the 9930, it is for CDMA network. With my past phones that were 4G, when unlocked and ran on another network, they don't work on edge, they actually work on the 3G. So even better. If you have any questions just send me a message if you need anymore help.
    09-11-11 01:23 PM
    I know that I can buy a BB unlocked on ebay, but I prefer buy it in a store..
    I'm in Miami, so do you know a store where I can buy a BB?

Another question: if I buy a prepaid card, will it work with an unlocked BB?
    09-11-11 01:49 PM
    It will work but if you want data on prepaid, the carrier must support BIS with a data plan feature.
    09-11-11 03:44 PM
    Do not buy the 9930, it is for CDMA network..
    It's a "World Phone" (CDMA/GSM) so it really doesn't matter; though depending on your carrier it may not support the same GSM frequencies as they use.
    09-11-11 05:23 PM
    The 9900 gives you a wider range of GSM frequencies I believe. Hence, do not buy the Worldish 9930.

09-11-11 05:28 PM
    The 9900 gives you a wider range of GSM frequencies I believe. Hence, do not buy the Worldish 9930.

All that matters is that it support the same frequencies HE will need.
    09-11-11 07:23 PM
    All needs change and if you travel widely as I do you never what band you may need.

09-11-11 07:25 PM
    Hi,
    I'm from Italy and I'm working temporarily here in the US.
    I need a phone and since I've always use a BlackBerry, I want to buy one brand new.
    I was thinking about the BlackBerry Bold 9900 or 9930 and since I'll use it when I come back in Italy, I need to buy it unlocked.
    So I have a few questions:
    - first of all, is it legal buy a BB unlocked?
    - where I can buy an unlocked BB?
    - will it works in Italy with my italian sim card?
    - a BB unlocked means that I will not have anymore a guarantee?
    - will I have problems to download firmware and so on?
    Thanks for any answers.
    1) 100% Legal to buy unlocked Blackberry / unlocking a Blackberry device by yourself.
    2) You can buy it anywhere, internet (websites, Ebay, amazon, CB marketplace), phone stores. - or you can unlock it online by yourself.
    3) Yes, the 9900 Blackberry will work with any Italian GSM sim card of any carrier.
    4) Nope, you will still have a full guarantee with your unlocked Blackberry - but if you want full guarantee then buy a new device and unlock it by yourself.
    5) No, you can even wipe your Blackberry and it will stay unlocked.

And in other words: unlocking Blackberry devices is removing the SIM lock from it and making it a "SIM free" Blackberry that can be used with any GSM carrier by inserting a SIM card into the sim slot on your device. if the device is not unlocked then it won't get signal with SIM cards from other carrier other then the original carrier that you got your Blackberry from.

Buying a new device is much more effective and safe then a used device - if you can buy a new one don't worry about the unlocking, you can unlock your Blackberry in minutes if you have internet and Email.
    Unlocking is done by inserting the unique unlock code for your Blackberry into it and removing the SIM lock, then restarting your device.
    Most of the Blackberry unlocking website will provide you with support and unlocking instructions.
    09-11-11 08:01 PM
    about to buy an unlocked bold 9900. will my sim card from my 2008 bold 9000 work or will i need to get a newer one? TIA.
    09-11-11 08:37 PM
    about to buy an unlocked bold 9900. will my sim card from my 2008 bold 9000 work or will i need to get a newer one? TIA.

Assuming its from the same carrier your old SIM card ought to be fine, I've done it a number of times. Do note that (and I was surprised to learn this) that SIM cards do wear out over time. I had one go bad and its a random thing. So no harm in getting a new one for free from your carrier.
    09-11-11 08:44 PM
    cool...thx!!!! i forgot to add its [email protected] didnt know they wore out....
    09-11-11 08:50 PM
    The short answer is that yes it will work just fine as long as the SIM still works, of it doesn't then yes get it replaced for free by the carrier.
    09-11-11 09:16 PM
    Some carriers change up the sim technology. I would have them issue you a new one if its been a couple years.
    09-12-11 11:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD