hey well i'm looking into getting a new bb i have the 9780 BOLD and well i like it but would like something newer with higher specs and longer battery life, so i'm with telus and i see they don't have the Torch 9810 (anymore or if at all don't remember) so i'd be getting the torch if that's what i do indeed buy from rogers but will i be able to use my data plan calling.texts everything i can already do with my telus branded 9780, also i'm wondering what is the battery life of the torch 9810 and Bold 9900, i've heard not so good things about the 9900, tho my cousin has it upgrade from her 9780 and she loves it, she has both 9900 and torch she likes the 9900more because of that great keyboard
    09-21-12 01:44 AM
    That's a big thing there, the keyboard. While the 9810 has essentially the same keyboard as your 9780 and of course the on screen keyboard, the keyboard on the 9900/9930 is larger and easier to type on.

Also, there is the issue of the camera. The 9900 camera is a fixed focus camera while the 9810 has autofocus.

Then there's the weight, the 9810 is noticeably heavier and thicker than the 9900.

That leaves us with screen size, the 9900 screen isn't much smaller than the 9810.

As for battery life I don't know how different they are.

So after all that it comes down to what you want in your next BlackBerry. If autofocus camera is important to you then you will be happier with the 9810, same with having a choice between virtual and physical keyboards. However if the best typing experience is what you want with no adaptation needed then the 9900 is the way to go.

As for mentioning that you would have to get a Rogers 9810, are you planning on switching from Telus to Rogers? If you are sticking with Telus, you will have to get an unlock code for the Rogers phone. After that you should have no problems using your data plan, calling and texting.

--Ian

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    Elite1 likes this.
    09-21-12 02:21 AM
    Well it comes down to this basicly:
    Larger *always there* keyboard and smaller screen vs. smaller keyboard, larger screen plus autofocus camera.

I was also unsure which one to get, but I ultimatly decided for the 9900. The screen ain't THAT much smaller (if it would have the older 2,4" size, I would've chosen the Torch), plus the larger keyboard makes typing a lot easier. I am new to BB, and I simply couldn't imagine I'd ever be able to type in a decent way on the rather small Torch keyboard.
    The AF camera on the Torch of course is a nice to have thing, but it wasn't a large selling point for me.

About battery life, since I don't have a Bold 9780, I can't compare those. However I can say for sure battery life really improved in the latest OS versions, especially .523 and .569 are much better than those previous releases. Compared to most other last years smartphones, I'd say the 9900 comes out above average in terms of battery performance.
    09-21-12 02:47 AM
    I had a9700 > 9800 > 9810 > 9900

i decided to change from 9810 to 9900 cause my favourite BB was the 9700.
    But the 9810 is a great phone too.
    You can see better display color on the 9900. But the 9810 is bigger.
    And the keyboard is much bigger on 9900. My girlfriend still have the torch 9800 and when i type i note the keyboard is very small. Cause i have the 9900.
    09-21-12 03:37 AM
    Battery life from the 9780 to the 9900 will be less. 9780 gave me a day and a half but 9900 only gives me a day. 9900 is way faster and the Internet is better. I like how fast the universal search is on the 9900 and that I can customize how and where it searches, one of my favorite features that actually saves me time.
    09-21-12 07:57 AM
    That leaves us with screen size, the 9900 screen isn't much smaller than the 9810.
    The 9900 has a half screen, the 9810 has a full screen. Much bigger.
    09-21-12 08:02 AM
    May want to hold off on getting into an old BB, though both great phone. With BB10 just around the corner. Just food for thought.
    09-21-12 11:41 AM
    May want to hold off on getting into an old BB, though both great phone. With BB10 just around the corner. Just food for thought.
    I would say the opposite.

Now OS7 devices have had the bugs sorted out.

The first BB10 devices will no doubt come with their own issues to resolve.
    09-21-12 12:07 PM

I agree you there, but the upgrade will locked Ops into a 3 year contract, unless Ops is buying it out right.
    09-21-12 12:45 PM
    i'd be buying it outright from rogers and unlocking it to use on the telus network i think ill get the 9900 thanks for the help all
    09-22-12 01:04 AM
    If you're going with the 9900, why not buy from Telus? (And BTW Telus did carry 9810, so I'm sure a few calls to some dealer shops would yield a Telus 9810 if you wanted one.)

For me, I sweated over this exact decision for a long time. Held off upgrading from 1st Torch 9800 for couple extra months because I couldn't decide.

In the end, went with 9900 because of keyboard and not wanting slider anymore. 98xx is a very solid slider, but just didn't feel like opening/closing dozens of times per day anymore.
    (Downside is many, many, many more accidental pocket dials for me with exposed 9900 keyboard.)

Purely anecdotal evidence, but I have the impression that the 9810 has better battery life than 9900, plus less freezing/slowdowns.
    Both have same screen res, but if you have poor eyesight you might appreciate those pixels being spread over larger real estate with 9810.

Camera is not a deciding factor for me, but 9900 camera is really an embarrassment. I've taken (surprisingly) great outdoor shots, but indoors or close-ups are horrid.

Weight and slender thickness of 9900 are great. The Torch was a lump in my pocket. The 9900 slides unobtrusively into pockets of dress pants or suits, if that matters for you.

PS Where in Canada are you?
    09-22-12 02:01 AM

Bah!
    You know you'll be in line with rest of us for BB10!
    09-22-12 02:03 AM
    The 9900 is a great phone. As for the 9810, I would rather have an OS10 device.
    09-22-12 05:36 PM
    @elite1 the main reason i'm buying it from rogers is because it's $565 taxed and on telus its $712 taxed, it's just a cost reason really, for the ones with the 9900 what type of battery life are you getting day to day and what do you do on your 9900 thanks
    09-23-12 07:03 AM
    If you're planning on just buying one outright, check ebay.com before you do anything. You can always find better deals on there. Buy one that is locked because they are usually much cheaper and then have it unlocked yourself for 10$
    Elite1 likes this.
    09-23-12 07:53 AM
    ↑ What he said! ↑

I was going to suggest same, but of course would have put eBay.ca not .com…
    (Kidding it's all the same really.)

But sticking with the buy-Canadian theme, here's a recommended unlock service:
    www.HorizonWirelessOnline.com
    09-23-12 09:45 AM
    I think the OP has already decided, but I'll chime in anyway

The 9900 is awesome, frankly. The screen may be physically smaller than the 9810's, but it's the same resolution. Looks gorgeous.

I carried around a 9800 for a year before I got my 9900. It's actually a nice phone, but it's WAY heavier and thicker. The 9900 slips in a pocket much easier. Never did like the too-narrow keyboard on the 9800, but the 9900's is absolutely the best mobile keyboard you'll ever see.

After using my Bold for about a month, I realized I really liked not having to turn my phone sideways to do stuff. I know that's a little weird, and likely sounds petty, but usability is a funny thing.

I think the 9900 is one of those handsets that may not impress all that much with a casual glance. Use it for a few weeks, though, and you start to appreciate just what a remarkable piece of design it is. To me, it's even worth the less-than-spectacular batter life.
    09-23-12 09:58 AM
    I think the OP has already decided, but I'll chime in anyway

The 9900 is awesome, frankly. The screen may be physically smaller than the 9810's, but it's the same resolution. Looks gorgeous.

I carried around a 9800 for a year before I got my 9900. It's actually a nice phone, but it's WAY heavier and thicker. The 9900 slips in a pocket much easier. Never did like the too-narrow keyboard on the 9800, but the 9900's is absolutely the best mobile keyboard you'll ever see.

After using my Bold for about a month, I realized I really liked not having to turn my phone sideways to do stuff. I know that's a little weird, and likely sounds petty, but usability is a funny thing.

I think the 9900 is one of those handsets that may not impress all that much with a casual glance. Use it for a few weeks, though, and you start to appreciate just what a remarkable piece of design it is. To me, it's even worth the less-than-spectacular batter life.
    I keep telling them, but I always get someone who feels the need to "Defend their phone". LOL

But yeah, all the awkward things about the 9800/9810 are non-existent in the 9900, and the screen size (for people with decent eyes obviously) should never be let you sway towards the 98 hundred series phones. The size difference just isn't that much when get to spend time with each one. If screen size really is a major issue than I really wouldn't recommend either. If your a casual user and or on a budget than sure, the 9810 is a really nice phone. Money aside, its really no contest.

Think of the 9810 more as "A Compromise" as opposed to "Having it all". That's the best way I can describe it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-24-12 08:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD