CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Extreme phantom data useage!!!!!

I have had the 9900 since its release date just over a year ago. On Sunday, I did the latest OS packet update (likely unrelated). On Wednesdy morning I had some horrinle battery life (died in about 3 hours) but I just chalked it up to maybe a bad charge. Thursday (yesterday) I again had horrible battery life and also received an automated text message from my provider warning that I had reached 75% of my monthly 6GB data useage already. I thought perhaos the poor battery life and the exxtreme data useage was related so I called my service provider and they said there had been a sudden spike in mh data useage (roughly 250MB per hour) and they suggested verifying my settings on my apps i.e. location based services, "follow me" settings, etc. so I did. A few hours later of my phone sitting idle on the charger, i got another automated text message saying i had now reached 95% of my data! So i deleted ALL third party apps and just left Blackberry apps on my phone and went to bed. Woke up this morning and had another automated text message saying i had gone OVER my monthly data useage by $17! In 10 hours of sleeping with my phone on the charger dormant! I called my provider again and they said i used 3.7GB, yes 3.7GB OF DATA YESTERDAY!!! ON A BLACKBERRY!!! I have been on the phone with them for over 2 hours already today aand now have to leave my daata services off as noone can find the source of the 260MB per hour draw and at $0.50 per MB it costs me roughly $13 an hour just to have my data on right now! HELP!!!!!! Could this be a virus? Is there something I can use to help determine the cause of the data useage???

CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    K Ink Wink

Hi Joel, welcome to CB!

Your service provider is taking you in the right direction imho by asking you to verify settings. You said you removed all third party apps from the device, so may I know what's running on the 'berry? You might want to check Social Feeds, Twitter, Facebook and other such native apps for their refresh timeout. Keep all of them at 1 hour or thereabouts. Each refresh will cost you data. Also please list your OS version for further troubleshooting. Thanks!
    Children of tomorrow live in the tears that fall today
    Will the sunrise of tomorrow bring in peace in any way?
    Must the world live in the shadow of atomic fear?
    Can they win the fight for peace or will they disappear?

-- Black Sabbath: Children of the Grave
    CrackBerry Abuser

there are tools for analyzing traffic.
    #BB10devTeam
    CrackBerry Abuser

If all else fails, u can either wipe your bb and install a new or replace it , i can understand you must be hopping mad
    Bold 9900 - .746 Large Rogers + .714 Large Sfi + BL Returns 1.00 + BL Returns 2.00 = ADR < 1% (EDGE)
    Bold 9900 ServerSurfers wallapaper pack - 794WallPaperPack
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

My current OS is 7.1.0.746 I even deleted Faccebook, Yahoo and Windows Live Messengers, literally everything I could think of to cleaar this issue up but im stuck!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Quote Originally Posted by maxb1ack View Post
    there are tools for analyzing traffic.

What program do you suggest? I tried looking at a bunch in App World but i couldnt find any that report data per program, just total data useage.

Global Posts
    35,123 Global Posts
    PIN
    pin:tang

You have Options->Application Management, which will give you a good clue what's being used heavily. Also in Options, hold alt and press b b d a, which activates the Device Analyzer. Start the Battery Test, draining too quickly, and in a couple hours you'll have the file consuming the most power.

I do agree however, that a wipe and fresh (from download) OS install, and selective database restore. BB Protect is perfect for this.
    WAPers do it With A Passion

Z/Q Warrior ..` `..` `..` `.. `.. Born to  ..` `..` `..` `..` `.. Upgrade Guide

BB10 - If you don't, kittens will die .................................................. ......................................Kevin - "I call you the PITA I love"