I have a Bold 9900. OS7.1.0.342. I roam a lot, so use the Network Traffic Control App to monitor usage.
    I've noticed that on radio it uploads 3 - 4mb a day even if not using aything, and if on wifi then it is uploading as much as 3 - 4mb per hour (yep, sometimes 70mb a day!). If I select the menu of running apps I see Browser, mail, home, phone, BBM (not used).
    It's my own phone, so no BES or corporate IT policy. If I pull the battery then the rate dies for a while, then slowly builds.

I use my phone for business, so no twitter, facebook or social media apps.
    Apps loaded are Mail, Phone, Blackberry Travel, google maps, tapatalk, blackberry protect, flashlight pro.

How can I find out what is uploading all the data? I have set permissions on everything to not transmit usage information. I am on a sim-only contract with Vodafone.

Thanks for any advice.
    05-23-12 08:28 AM
    Check to make sure you do not have any carrier self serve apps on the phone. I think some of these apps gather usage data and send them to the carrier.

Any free app may also be using data. They are free for a reason.

Since you are on 7.1, try enabling battery monitor in device analyzer and after a days use look into the graphs to see the details of running apps. It will show background processes, not just actual apps.
    05-23-12 08:52 AM
    Make sure the apps are not open in the background. A lot of users who are new to BB forget to close the app and just simple exit the app. For example Google Maps app will run in the background even after you exit. So, you have to shut it down using the BB menu.

To check apps running hold your BB key which will take you to the app switcher screen. Also, I don't know which country you are from, but you can make a complain to the service provider and even get them to check your phone.
    05-23-12 09:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD