Morning all -

As we all know the BlackBerry 99** series camera is missing autofocus and a few other technical 'things'.

I've been a gadget nut for years and am an original member of the CrackBerry MOD team.

But, for the life\love of me I can't figure out how to take decent photos with my BlackBerry 9900. Maybe it's because I'm spoilt with my iPhone 4S...

Anyway, what's the 'best' way to focus, if you will, with the BlackBerry 99**?

Thanks in advance

Ivan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    12-31-11 08:00 AM
    It's a fixed focus camera. You cannot change that fact unfortunately.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-31-11 11:12 AM
    For what I need a cell phone camera to do, the 99xx works fine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-31-11 11:16 AM
    That's doesn't sound good. The camera on my Thunderbolt was awesome. I like to take pics when I'm out hiking or kayaking, and I don't want to carry a camera.

I haven't upgraded to the 9930 yet but if the camera is bad, it's a reason not to for me.
    12-31-11 11:19 AM
    Not sure what you expect as decent photos but all I do is point and snap photos. If I want to take photos of anything closer than 2ft, I use the zoom and stand atleast 2ft away from the subject.

The camera isnt amazing but it does take decent photos and anytime the "low light" warning comes on, just take the picture with as steady of a hand as possible and then remove the noise in postprocessing (photoshop).
    12-31-11 12:17 PM
    I've found the camera to be great outside or with sufficient light. Pictures are clear and sharp with good color. Anything in lower light is awful in my opinion. The flash washes out any faces closer than 10 feet and its impossible to get kids to sit still so I can take without flash. Needless to say, I used my digital camera for the indoor holiday photos. If you really need a good camera on your phone I would suggest staying with your iPhone or looking at the HTC Rezound on Verizon. Amazing pics, videos and display on that thing.

I have no solution to taking good low light photos with my 9930.

Sent from my Big Red BlackBerry 9930
    12-31-11 12:31 PM
    Morning all -

As we all know the BlackBerry 99** series camera is missing autofocus and a few other technical 'things'.

I've been a gadget nut for years and am an original member of the CrackBerry MOD team.

But, for the life\love of me I can't figure out how to take decent photos with my BlackBerry 9900. Maybe it's because I'm spoilt with my iPhone 4S...

Anyway, what's the 'best' way to focus, if you will, with the BlackBerry 99**?

Thanks in advance

Ivan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    What kind of photos are you talking about? Closeup?
    12-31-11 12:34 PM
    I've found the camera to be great outside or with sufficient light. Pictures are clear and sharp with good color. Anything in lower light is awful in my opinion. The flash washes out any faces closer than 10 feet and its impossible to get kids to sit still so I can take without flash. Needless to say, I used my digital camera for the indoor holiday photos. If you really need a good camera on your phone I would suggest staying with your iPhone or looking at the HTC Rezound on Verizon. Amazing pics, videos and display on that thing.

I have no solution to taking good low light photos with my 9930.

Have you tried the face detection mode? Faces come out a lot clearer.

In low light (not dark) you can also use sports mode, it softens the flash quite a bit. The flash is very strong and the flip side is in night mode with flash it lights up the whole street, turns night into day.
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 12-31-11 at 12:39 PM.
    12-31-11 12:36 PM
    Don't forget to try out different modes as other has mentioned. It certainly helps on closeup shots.
    12-31-11 01:56 PM
    Have you tried the face detection mode? Faces come out a lot clearer.

In low light (not dark) you can also use sports mode, it softens the flash quite a bit. The flash is very strong and the flip side is in night mode with flash it lights up the whole street, turns night into day.

I've tried every mode for indoors and faces are flashed out every time. Outside at night does work ok as long as there isn't any motion. I've accepted the camera for what it is. The rest of the device is just too good to give up.

12-31-11 02:16 PM
    I just snapped this one indoors in a barely lit room ... all lighting is from the flash. This is undoctored -- exactly as it was snapped. That's Sammy, my buddy who's the real source of all my CrackBerry wit and wisdom.

May not be the best camera you'll find in a phone, but it isn't bad.
    chanpisan likes this.
    12-31-11 02:16 PM
    I just snapped this one indoors in a barely lit room ... all lighting is from the flash. This is undoctored -- exactly as it was snapped. That's Sammy, my buddy who's the real source of all my CrackBerry wit and wisdom.

That's funny. You have the exact same handrailing, spindles, doors and carpets as me. Only thing I don't have is the dog. Photo looks decent for indoors, but faces come out really bad for me.

12-31-11 02:19 PM
    That photo looks good to me. I'll have to check out the 99xx photo threads here to get a better idea of quality overall. OP, I suggest you do the same!

And, no, Santa didn't leave a BlackBerry for me.
    12-31-11 02:29 PM
    Thanks for all the comments. I will certainly try the modes, I haven't even looked at them yet...

But yes, as someone asked I was talking about close ups, too. I seem to take a lot of those to post to Twitter, etc.
    12-31-11 02:44 PM
    Thanks for all the comments. I will certainly try the modes, I haven't even looked at them yet...

But yes, as someone asked I was talking about close ups, too. I seem to take a lot of those to post to Twitter, etc.
    For close up hold the phone away from the subject and zoom in to get close, use close up mode or text mode if you're taking a photo of text. You will notice a big improvement.
    12-31-11 02:48 PM
    TWo images, first is close up, and the second is close up, but with the 'text' option...
    12-31-11 03:09 PM
    TWo images, first is close up, and the second is close up, but with the 'text' option...
    I can take photos far better then that

Another tip, the camera lens( the glass above it) can get dirty with fingeprints very quick, give it a quick wipe before taking detail photos.
    12-31-11 03:13 PM
    Yeah, those are terrible. That's the only issue I have with this device.
    12-31-11 08:19 PM
    This seems almost inconceivable that RIM let this out on their flagship devices. I just upgraded from the 9800 and really wanted to move to the 9900. But I'm in construction and a good camera for interior use is a must for me. I went with the 9810 and my return period ends Jan. 30. I would return it and go with the 9900 if this issue was fixed. Is this a hardware issue or can software address it?
    01-08-12 10:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD