Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Emergency Alert Messages App-Should this be working now?

Has anyone seen this app work recently? Only seen one useless message come through on 9/4/12. It appeared to come from NWS with no info on which particular flash flood area they were recommending “evacuation.” I’ve seen nothing since then.

Seems rather odd that with the state of New Jersey (where I am now), and many surrounding states, in a state of emergency as a result of Hurricane Sandy, that none of the state or local emergency management agencies have chosen to use this system that cost us mobile users to purchase and implement.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN

Default Re: Emergency Alert Messages App-Should this be working now?

Agreed with the system already in place it should be used. BBM will work when all else fails. Anyone else remember 911.
    [B]Real BlackBerry Phones Have Real Keyboards
    Q10 the finest BlackBerry
    CrackBerry Genius

Well, I'm here next door in NYC and emergency alerts cannot be contained. LoL.
    They are consistently coming in and appear to coincide with my BerryWeather alerts seamlessly.

Weird. Not sure why you have not seen them. I have received about 20 or so today alone.
    MY TAKE ON THE Z10... I DON'T KNOW HOW, OR WHY, BUT IT WORKS!!!
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,733 Global Posts
    PIN
    pine

I too got one some time ago but nothing for some time.
    CrackBerry Addict

Default Emergency Alert Messages App-Should this be working now?

This past month in Portland, OR BeWeather has alerted me of several different weather alerts and flash flood watches from the NWS. Nothing from the Emergency Alert App. Additionally, this summer I receiver Amber Alert text messages but nothing from Emergency Alert.

Sent from my Bold Dakota
    CrackBerry Genius

Wow. This is so weird!!!
    Not sure why no one received these alerts!
    At about 10:00PM last evening when things really started getting rough, I started receiving NYC alerts almost every 5 minutes!!! At least another 50 came through. I was getting so tired of dismissing the alerts I tried to turn them off in the options. Didn't work. They still kept coming!!! I had to perform a battery pull for the new setting to take effect. At that point I didn't need anyone telling me not to drive or that I should remain inside. It was quite evident. lol.

Maybe it's a carrier thing as far as delivery?
    IDK, but I can surely say that it worked so well for me that it was annoying...........
    MY TAKE ON THE Z10... I DON'T KNOW HOW, OR WHY, BUT IT WORKS!!!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by MADBRADNYC View Post
    Wow. This is so weird!!!
    Not sure why no one received these alerts!
    At about 10:00PM last evening when things really started getting rough, I started receiving NYC alerts almost every 5 minutes!!! At least another 50 came through. I was getting so tired of dismissing the alerts I tried to turn them off in the options. Didn't work. They still kept coming!!! I had to perform a battery pull for the new setting to take effect. At that point I didn't need anyone telling me not to drive or that I should remain inside. It was quite evident. lol.

Maybe it's a carrier thing as far as delivery?
    IDK, but I can surely say that it worked so well for me that it was annoying...........
    We're going through our 11th day without power, several state-wide emergencies, and this thing still doesn't work. the Mayor here appears to spend all her time on Facebook, so we're getting zero useful information. I got a data plan alert about going over my limit while I search the web for any information about what's happening here, so Verizon is profiting over our public official's failure to communicate.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,733 Global Posts
    PIN
    pine

Quote Originally Posted by traveler View Post
    We're going through our 11th day without power, several state-wide emergencies, and this thing still doesn't work. the Mayor here appears to spend all her time on Facebook, so we're getting zero useful information. I got a data plan alert about going over my limit while I search the web for any information about what's happening here, so Verizon is profiting over our public official's failure to communicate.
    I read that some carriers are waving charges. Call V and ask. Good luck for your recovery.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Quote Originally Posted by BlazorBoy View Post
    I read that some carriers are waving charges. Call V and ask. Good luck for your recovery.
    I spoke with VZW and got them to credit me with the overage charges, with the billing period restarting next Tuesday. No one knows how long this will take. The local electric utility is telling some of my neighbors they won't have service until the first week in December.

I also wasted some time (and battery) speaking with a RIM tech support person about this problem. Finally got them to understand the problem. Thought we were making progress until the RIM support person instructed me to download the latest VZW blackberry OS...the same exact one I'm running now. Needless to say, I'm not proceeding, since a re-image and re-sync will take over 3 hours, and I don't have enough battery, and I'm not falling for this nonsense.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,187 Global Posts

I have never received anything on my Bold
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,607 Global Posts
    PIN
    295E4D69

I have my 9900 11 months now and not once have I ever received an emergency message or test until today. For the past 30-45 minutes I've received 8 TEST messages. I'm glad it works but it is annoying.
    New York Yankees
    It's Hard To Be Humble
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

VZW was waiving all extra voice charges (beyond basic service), and gave me a credit for the data overage I had for searching the web for local area info (of which there was none).

BTW, this policy VZW used appears to be a 180 degree change from what they did to New Orleans area Katrina survivors. VZW disabled all New Orleans area customer’s accounts so any survivors found their phones no longer worked for outbound calls, and were disabled for inbound follow-me-roaming after they left the NOLA area.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

BBM only works when you have someone else you want to reach and they're running it, too.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

So far, it looks like only T-Mobile is transmitting them, Verizon is not, and no word yet about AT&T, at least in the NYC metro area.

I just downloaded the CMAS provider table from the FCC’s web site, and found that the “in-part” election carriers include these familiar names:

Verizon Wireless – Washington, DC
    T-Mobile USA, Inc. – Washington, DC
    Sprint Nextel – Reston, VA
    AT&T Inc. (including affiliates) – Washington, DC

“In-whole election” carriers include:

Sprint Nextel – Green Bay, WI

“No election” carriers include:

Sprint Nextel – Kimball, SD

Not one cellular carrier is listed as providing this service within the NYC metropolitan area. Unless if Verizon changed their mind after October 24 (the last update to the publicly available carrier table), they are not listed as providing this service within the largest metropolitan area in the US (which includes, NY, NJ, CT, and PA). That’s NOT what Verizon customer service is telling their customers.

Congress allocated $106 million for the original warning system, with Verizon assisting with the technical specifications documents on which it’s based. And now Verizon hasn’t been transmitting messages from that system during what is probably the worst storm conditions in this part of the US in a century.