Hey Crackberries,

I'm about to get a new 9930 and I've been reading some reviews. One guy said that a sales rep told him a "trick" to extend battery life. Apparently you don't charge the battery upon purchase, but let it die out completely and then charge completely. Then repeat this 3 times. He claims to be getting 2 days of battery life.... I'm wondering if anyone can debunk this myth for me? Or support it?

Thanks
    01-27-12 07:51 PM
    There's a sound logic behind it...
    I'm going to try it.

To be continued on Sunday...
    James Wang likes this.
    01-27-12 08:35 PM
    Please remember to post back your results!!
    01-27-12 08:37 PM
    There's a sound logic behind it...
    I'm going to try it.

To be continued on Sunday...
    01-27-12 08:38 PM
    Every battery manufacturer will tell you to charge it fully before use. Opinion differs beyond that. The Li-Ion doesn't have a "memory" per-say, but some will claim longer life with deeper cycles. Considering you'll put it through hundreds in it's life, that draining it completely isn't good, and the bricking after a severely low battery level some 99x0 users have experienced, I'd advise against it. *

* The preceding wisdom was based on experience and research. There's only one rocket scientist on this forum to my knowledge, and it ain't me
    01-27-12 08:41 PM
    Good luck. No way in he** I'd go for it. I've read too many posts about people thinking their bb bricked cuz the battery level got too low. Hope it goes your way.
    01-27-12 08:42 PM
    Hey Crackberries,

I'm about to get a new 9930 and I've been reading some reviews. One guy said that a sales rep told him a "trick" to extend battery life. Apparently you don't charge the battery upon purchase, but let it die out completely and then charge completely. Then repeat this 3 times. He claims to be getting 2 days of battery life.... I'm wondering if anyone can debunk this myth for me? Or support it?

Thanks
    That is bs. You should never let a lithion battery drain completely
    Last edited by albertinik; 02-02-12 at 11:49 PM.
    01-27-12 08:44 PM
    Lolxx I never let battery charged fully and never let it drained fully and guess what my phone is giving me a good battery life which is acceptable for me and on top of that I always carry and extra battery just in case
    01-27-12 08:47 PM
    I don't take what Reps say seriously.

Heck heard rumor from a user that Sprint Tech is telling people to speed up there phones buy putting in bigger memory card.

Um ya...........
    01-27-12 08:55 PM
    Hahahaha John that is actually a funny rumour man, thanks for sharing

One of the Rep told me that 9900 do not have touch screen
    01-27-12 09:00 PM
    I thought it was pretty bs too but I wanted to consult crackberry. don't think i'll try it
    01-27-12 10:24 PM
    I actually tried this on my 9900 while running 7.0.0.190 and IMO it helped or maybe it might have been my OS was just settling in i put 7.1.0.205 on my 9900 and i did the full battery drain 2 times so far and i have not bricked my phone so if you want to try go for it if not don't only do it if you feel comfortable but like i said i feel it helped so it wouldn't hurt to try and btw i get 30 hours+ on a full charge...
    01-27-12 10:41 PM
    I did not do this before the first full charge. However after not being able to reach 100% no matter how long it charged I did run it almost dry once. Li-ion batterys do not do well being fully discharged "Repeatedly". Once will do it no harm and I believe it refreshed my batterys idea of what "full" should be. Wulf, I am not a rocket scientist either but my battery life is consistantly stellar (18 hours) medium to heavy use, 24 hrs with light use. And my BB reaches 100% everytime.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-27-12 10:41 PM
    alexis and albee you two have made me waver again now... theres got to be scientific evidence on this
    01-27-12 10:44 PM
    I did not do this before the first full charge. However after not being able to reach 100% no matter how long it charged I did run it almost dry once. Li-ion batterys do not do well being fully discharged "Repeatedly". Once will do it no harm and I believe it refreshed my batterys idea of what "full" should be. Wulf, I am not a rocket scientist either but my battery life is consistantly stellar (18 hours) medium to heavy use, 24 hrs with light use. And my BB reaches 100% everytime.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

You are correct. In general it is much better to constantly top-up these types of batteries versus regularly letting them drain out. That said, a full cycle is useful every couple of months to re-sync the battery with the phone for accurate status readings.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-27-12 11:06 PM
    there are an equal number of people on both sides... case is not closed...
    01-28-12 10:48 AM
    A lot of people are already doing this, some even do it on every OS install.
    01-28-12 11:00 AM
    Hey Crackberries,

Thanks
    apparently the new lithiums don't need to have this process done on them.

but iv been using this on my 9700 for 2.5 years now and my battery hasnt given out yet. SO it must be working. In terms of how long it lasts the 9700 has superior battery life anyway. i think 2 days is the given.

this way just increases the life of the battery
    01-29-12 07:32 PM
    Just a word of warning...charging from an extremely low battery seems to be one of the common things that are mentioned in the posts about bricking 9900s.
    01-29-12 07:57 PM
    Definitely too risky. I would hate to brick my phone.
    01-29-12 08:08 PM
    If you are seriously looking for info about batteries and how to maintain them I would recommend reading here http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a..._ion_batteries . It is very helpful in understanding batteries.
    But to answer the OP question. Long term it is not good to drain your phones battery all the way down on a regular bases. But your phones battery maintenance system will shut your phone off before real damage can be done to the battery.
    01-29-12 08:12 PM
    Sounds like crap. Sales reps always hear some random stuff and pass it off as fact.
    01-29-12 08:55 PM
    I decided to contact an expert:

For our batteries, this is our recommendation on how to care for the battery and allow for optimal performance:

We suggest that for 3-4 consecutive cycles, please try to fully drain the battery until the phone shuts off automatically, and then charge your battery for an additional 2-3 hours after the device indicates a full charge. This will recondition and also recycle battery life for best performance.

Thank you,

Seidio Customer Service
    If I was a 99x0 user, I'd still be a little leary of this, but knowing me, I'd do it.
    James Wang and CDM76 like this.
    01-30-12 06:54 PM
    Thanks everyone for the responses. It's still really up in the air it seems. Since I honestly only use my phone for texting, emailing, and calling, I hope the battery will be good enough without me having to do this.

But does this process have to be done as soon as you get the phone? Say I used my phone for a week and decided battery wasn't lasting long enough. What if I tried the process then?
    01-30-12 07:01 PM
    Ok guys I denied doing this couple of days ago on this thread but then I cannot resist it and actually drained my battery once and charged it. My phone is not bricked and am going to do it again. Then I will post about any battery life difference, only if I suspect any
    01-30-12 07:07 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD