..that it's illogical to have a speaker on the back of our phones? or is it just me?

OR, is it the just cheap case manufacturers fault for now allowing a cut out at the back for my speakers, but allowing a whole for my BB symbol so it can get scratched

03-08-12 09:12 PM
    it's the latter, i'm afraid.
    03-08-12 09:42 PM
    Second option.

I think having the phone speakers on the outside is good.
    At least for me it is.
    I hold my phone in my right pocket, Screen facing my leg.
    The speaker is in the optimal place.
    03-08-12 09:57 PM
    Cases made by companies like OtterBox have the speaker cut off at the right place.
    03-08-12 10:22 PM
    I was thinking in terms of, well one of my old laptops, had speakers on the BOTTOM, which I always thought was stupid! Seeing as I'm always sitting it up, of course

I suppose your way of keeping in to the front rather than the back is a good idea!

Mss-ca, you're right, but I'm a cheap-o lol! Perhaps when I have some spare money I will invest

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-09-12 12:59 AM
    I've ALWAYS thought this!! On basically all the phones I've had, even my tablets, the speakers are always in the back and in some cases you need to cup it to get to sound to come around to the front (where you are), I've always hated that.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    ria__x likes this.
    03-09-12 02:52 AM
    I always thought it was to do with acoustics. As in the sound reflects off the surface.

jaydee5799 likes this.
    03-09-12 02:58 AM
    I always thought it was to do with acoustics. As in the sound reflects off the surface.

I think so too. When you place the phone on a flat surface the sound is greatly improved as it uses the surface as a sounding board of sorts. The concept being that it has greater benefits if the phone is being used in a conference setting.
    03-09-12 04:36 AM
    ahh you see i'm not that bright when it comes to improvements of sounds but thats a logical explanation i guess
    03-09-12 05:50 AM
    My Dicota case only cost me 12 bucks and it has the cutout in the right place, Ria. The Case Mate cases are great too. They are not too expensive. Check them out!
    03-09-12 06:45 AM
    And where else are you going to put the speaker? Oh I know, let's put the speaker in front and move the keyboard to the BAC'K! Hahaha! and if your gonna do that you better move the screen there too so you can see what your typing, oh wait a minute, mine is like that NOW! Holy Crap!
    rfig, sulcopete and kpbutton like this.
    03-09-12 07:12 AM
    The nice thing is, too, that with a case like the Otterbox, because the phone is sitting a little higher off the deck when placed on a table or whatever, the cutout for the speaker allows the speaker to sit higher, causing an even more amplified sound.

And let's be honest here, $35 isn't too expensive for a two layer, silicone/polycarbonate case that also includes a screen protector. You can be cheap if you want (your phone, your choice ), but for value, Otterbox is one of the best.

JB
    03-09-12 07:18 AM
    if speaker phone is at front side then what is use of ear piece speaker on top ????
    03-09-12 07:20 AM
    if speaker phone is at front side then what is use of ear piece speaker on top ????
    The mic for the speaker phone/handset is at the front. The speaker for the speaker phone is at the back. The speaker for the handset is on the front at the top, where your ear goes. What was your question again?
    03-09-12 08:44 AM
    I was thinking in terms of, well one of my old laptops, had speakers on the BOTTOM, which I always thought was stupid! Seeing as I'm always sitting it up, of course

I suppose your way of keeping in to the front rather than the back is a good idea!

Mss-ca, you're right, but I'm a cheap-o lol! Perhaps when I have some spare money I will invest

Having speakers on the bottom lets the computer use the entire desk as a medium to blast out the Music.

On my Alienware M11x the speakers are pointed directly on the desk. This way, you can hear the rebounded sound.
    03-09-12 09:03 AM

Even the cheap �2 ebay cases have a hole for the speaker cut out already.

Despite me hating all cases I bit the bullet and bought this recently.
    Last edited by Ben1232; 03-09-12 at 09:39 AM.
    03-09-12 09:34 AM
    The OEM supplied leather holster (black / white) that comes in the box of the 9900 should have had a cut-out for the speaker.

Apparently, RIM just widened & increased the length wee bit for this holster from their earlier 9700 & 9780 OEM ones that they used to put in the sales-pack boxes. But on those 2 models, the speaker was positioned on the upper part of the back so it was perfect for that holster.

I feel RIM should have redesigned this holster for their 9900 / 9930.
    03-09-12 09:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD