Has anyone figured out how to fix the direct sunlight issue a couple of us have had? Like the screen not responding to touches? Is it specific to the build line? Like mexico 4 vs mexico 5? Just wondering. And don't flame on me for not searching! I'm just asking a question.

Many thanks ahead of time for the reply.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-03-12 02:23 PM
    This is normal in this type of screens as they are capacitive screens, and in strong sunlight changes the storage capacity to the surface - the effect of the whole touch screen, this is why such a reaction.

Pete6 likes this.
    05-03-12 02:28 PM
    os 7.1.0.318
    05-05-12 12:05 AM
    This is normal in this type of screens as they are capacitive screens, and in strong sunlight changes the storage capacity to the surface - the effect of the whole touch screen, this is why such a reaction.

Well as up till now I had two different phones with capacitive screens before I got my 9900. None of them had any sensitivity issues under direct sunlight. Neither the HTC Desire Z, nor Nokias E7. The first one only had readability issues outsides.

At the moment I'm running the .318 DoCoMo version of 7.1 and sometimes the screen seems to react somewhat off while being in direct sunlight. Having said that I can't compare this to any other software version. I more or less updated the second day after I got my Bold to .318 and sticking with it for now.
    05-05-12 12:38 AM
    I didn't have the issue until I upgraded to 7.1 - but now I can't shake it. I've used every 7.1 build I can find, leak and official, and I'm still troubleshooting so I'm using the 9900 again for a bit (it's been cloudy here the last couple of days) but it's really starting to irk me. In the 2 years I've had touchscreen this is the first time I've ever had this problem, so I'm not buying the "all capacitive screens do this" argument.

I will say it's peeving me greatly.
    robkd likes this.
    05-05-12 12:42 AM
    Lol @ "flame on me"

I thought it was just me having that issue. between that and my zero key sporadically metta world peace-ing on me, I thought it was my phone acting up. this is relief

05-05-12 01:13 AM
    Lol @ "flame on me"

I thought it was just me having that issue. between that and my zero key sporadically metta world peace-ing on me, I thought it was my phone acting up. this is relief

We got called liars lol

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-05-12 01:38 AM
    We got called liars lol

lol what?!

05-05-12 02:06 AM
    Oh yeah, a poster uploaded a video that HIS 9900 worked in sunlight, so all of us claiming to have the problem were exaggerating, lying, or incompetent and caused it ourselves through user error.

Good times.

Sent from my BB Bold 9900 using Tapatalk.
    05-05-12 03:32 AM
    LOL well maybe he is a lucky one. Bc mine is definitely still doing it.
    05-05-12 03:34 AM
    Here's the thread. Scroll to post 125 where he "calls me on it"

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...19/index9.html

05-05-12 03:43 AM
    Oh yeah, so stop lying that your BB doesn't work in sun because you are spewing misinformation about BB to destroy RIM.

Or something.

05-05-12 03:47 AM
    Oh yeah, so stop lying that your BB doesn't work in sun because you are spewing misinformation about BB to destroy RIM.

Or something.
    Well idk what YOU have going on... But I really am having a problem. I didn't attribute it to sunlight directly until ya'll mentioned it. I just thought that I wasn't pressing things as accurately in sunlight because I keep my brightness at level 10 because I HATE it when my phone dies and this seems to help.

Why would I lie to make bb look BAD? Didn't we just go through this?!!! BB til I die!!!!
    05-05-12 03:54 AM
    Well, at least I know I'm not as crazy as I seem to myself. I refuse to sit and b#*:h about it. Time to pack it up and send it back to the shop.

05-05-12 08:10 AM
    I was on my deck just yesterday in direct sunlight and I didn't notice a change in the behavior of my 9930's touch screen, now mind you, I don't make it a habit of standing in direct sunlight using the touch on my phone. If I'm enjoying myself on a beach (with no umbrella), I'm not worried about how or why because it's not that serious. If your in direct sunlight ALL the time while using your BlackBerry device....maybe you might want to consider a different type screen on a different phone......there's plenty to choose from
    05-05-12 08:33 AM
    Well idk what YOU have going on... But I really am having a problem. I didn't attribute it to sunlight directly until ya'll mentioned it. I just thought that I wasn't pressing things as accurately in sunlight because I keep my brightness at level 10 because I HATE it when my phone dies and this seems to help.

Why would I lie to make bb look BAD? Didn't we just go through this?!!! BB til I die!!!!
    Lies! Lying heathen! Lol

Didn't you get the memo that If one person doesn't have the issue and 10 people do, those 10 people are trying to spread misinformation?

It's so stupid. Almost as stupid as a phone that only works outside when it's overcast lol

05-05-12 10:47 AM
    Well, I didn't start this thread to begin any sort of bashing. I left for droid and iphone and came back because of several reasons. An unusually difficult touchscreen isn't one of them. Thanks for the input guys, I'm definatly headed back to the phone shop monday.

05-05-12 10:52 AM
    I think it's been determined to be software related...so until there's a fix it may be pointless to swap it out.

05-05-12 11:23 AM
    I had originally thought that it might be software related. But I'm seeing light leakage on the side of the device just over the usb port. I could adapt to software issues, but not build quality. I'm half tempted to pull it apart, and fix the blasted thing myself. I'm with at&t and they aren't all that great with warranty swapping. I sent my 9860 back because of the home buttons going bad, and they sent me one with the exact same issue. It might be time to set it down for a bit and wait for BB10 to be released.

05-05-12 11:57 AM
    Let us know if a hardware swap helps?

05-06-12 12:25 AM
    i just noticed this the other day. its definitely not user error and im running .402 i'm curious if it is the hardware
    05-07-12 03:43 PM

Or something.

Well we are serious? for some users like me, we have this issue in 7.1
    And its not the screen itself but the trackpad, cover trackpad and screen works!
    05-08-12 03:05 AM
    Lol I know, I was joking about what I was accused of.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-11-12 10:23 PM
    Lol I know, I was joking about what I was accused of.

yea she was just being a bully

05-11-12 11:40 PM
    I am just wondering, those of us with sunlight problems, do you have a screenprotector applied?
    05-12-12 01:37 AM
86 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD