Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Delete email accounts to keep romaning data cost low

Hello to everyone,
    I have asked the question before,but never really got a clear answer. So please forgive me,if this is the wrong place to ask.Anyways am gonna be travelling internationally in a few days.I want to keep my data on so that I can atleast communicate via bbm+facebook,as I'm not sure am gonna have wifi where am staying. So will deleting my email accounts, so I don't get email dramatically decrease my data cost while am away!I know I can stop data while roaming via the network options, but like said I just want to be able to bbm+ facebook
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    371 Global Posts
    PIN
    BALL. Fancy a game?

No. Not really. Unless you get lots of image heavy e-mails and read them all. I roam a lot (am roaming now) and it doesn't make a difference to me with my e-mail accounts. FB will probably use the most data FYI so limit that and stick to 2G.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Ok,this helps alot but I do get lots of image filled emails.So your saying,that once I don't "get images" or better yet, read them..........I should be fine?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Deleting email accounts will help as embedded content like pictures do eat up data too. But also consider deleting apps u don't need while traveling that may consume data without u knowing. I think this is referred to as data leaks. Apps like Google maps might do his.

BBM is compressed so doesn't eat up as much data, even with sending pics via BBM.
    Device: Z30 (10.2.1...something or other)
    Tablet: 16GB iPad Mini
    Carrier: Bell
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Don't use any map apps, I pretty much only wanna be able to bbm+FB family members whiles am away!I can't think of any other apps I have installed that takes up lots of data in the background
    CrackBerry Abuser

for the emails: You can set up a filter so only email headers (From and subject) get pushed and not the content of the email. So, you will know who sent the email and what is the subject.

You can ' get more / all ' only for the emails that you think are important and leave the rest.

You can set up the filters from the device (email set up) or from [insert your carrier].blackberry.com

If you do not want to receive even the headers for particular or all email accounts, no need to delete them. Simply set a filter to 'DO NOT FORWARD TO DEVICE' for that specific email id or all email id's.

Another suggestion - disable AUTO REFRESH for all apps. i.e. FaceBook / Twitter / Weather apps etc. Set them all to refresh manually. So, you refresh them only when you need to or when you connect to WiFi.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Just in case you didn't understand what I meant by applying filters, here are two screenshots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Delete email accounts to keep romaning data cost low-picture-3.jpg   Delete email accounts to keep romaning data cost low-picture-2.jpg  
    CrackBerry Abuser

my remedy may not work for you. i seem to keep my old phones so i just use an old bb and load my main email on it.
    i have 9 email accts on my bb ( my employees emails accts come to my bb ) so my usage while traveling would be phohibative.
    it is just easier than deleting 8 accts for a few days and setting them up again
    Have 4 BB
    Bold 9900
    Torch 9800
    Bold 9700
    Bold 9600
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Well I only have 2 accounts attached to this phone.