I was wondering if the delay is not as bad as we may think. Multiple sites (including How RIM is getting left behind )
    say that the bold was in the middle of its production but was delayed to upgrade the hardware and the processor/chip-set. Does this mean an upgrade from the current 1.2 GHz processor? Could it be something that might be capable of running QNX in the future? It seems, that since these phones will be almost obsolete already, that they would be obsolete for sure when QNX based phones come out.
    06-17-11 03:19 PM
    doubt it. from what I understood it was more of RIM developing another device that was marginally better than the 9780, then it was scrapped because they realized better specs were needed to keep up with the competition. the 9900 was the device they ended up developing
    06-17-11 03:38 PM
    yes, sg8330 is right. Sounds like they were going with an 800mhz processor that will be in the lower end devices like the new curve. But rim quite smartly (?) had a reality check and realised that they need to make a much bigger improvement to make an impact and actually have a chance of competing with other devices. So they bumped it up to 1.2ghz and so need to run it through carrier tests all over.

For me, hearing this, it's worth the short delay for the better specs. The 9900 running the 1.2ghz with liquid graphics ofc looks very high-quality and runs so smoothly.
    06-17-11 06:02 PM
    I think it is a very smart move on Rim's part. Everyone complained that they released a tablet without finishing it. The smart move here is to get it done and get it done right. I will wait no problem. I just hope the old Tour holds up.
    06-17-11 06:33 PM
    I think it is a very smart move on Rim's part. Everyone complained that they released a tablet without finishing it. The smart move here is to get it done and get it done right. I will wait no problem. I just hope the old Tour holds up.
    While I agree wait and get it right, they should have known better than to kick out another series of phones way underpowered?! It shouldn't have had to be stopped in production and change. It should have been right from the beginning! This phone could have been out in June. If that would have happened 9930 would have sold well. Now, sept or oct? Seriously? I have no doubt it will still sell well but they are losing customers everyday with all the new androids out for the summer and now it looks as if the iphone 5 will beat out the 9930. Thats going to hurt them! And now with all the troubles with the os7 phones. I have almost zero faith that the QNX transition could go smooth. No way QNX handsets are out within a year!
    06-17-11 07:14 PM
    yeah i heard something about them switching the processor to a QualCOMM Snapdragon
    06-17-11 07:24 PM
    The slow processor is one of the problems RIM is facing today but it's not the only one and it certainly isn't the major factor of people turning away.

RIM makes beautiful hardware, in fact I don't see too many phones out today that even matches the beauty of RIM handsets.

The problem is the software; its antiquated.

As an example, take maps and navigation. BB do OK but nothing spectacular.
    Now look at the Androids Google Map and Navigation. Its free and it blows away most stand alone GPS. Free text to speech, 3d maps and just the speed.

In fact I cant really see any BB apps that can match the Android on price and performance .

BB - charges for everything and the apps are not cheap compare to Android.

They need to get rid of BIS for the consumer and let exchange work along with host of other basic functions.

Don't use the same old excuse like "The iphone didn't even have copy and paste when it came out".
    The difference with Android is they are listing to the consumer and giving them what they want. So what if they don't have something currently, it will in the next set of phones / os./software. and it won't take years.
    06-17-11 10:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD