If the recent photos of the Dakota are accurate, it has a 'carbon effect' on the back - instead of the faux leather of the original Bold 9000.

This would be a big mistake.

The faux leather ensured that the 9000 had good 'grip' in the hand, which is critical for a larger sized keyboard phone. It also ensured the temperature on the skin was neutral rather than cold.

Carbon on the other hand, is both slippery to hold and cold on the skin. In other words, it might look sharp and high tech - but at the visceral level (ie the deep, inner gut level) it doesn't feel as friendly and useable.

I can understand why the Dakota designers may be tempted to put carbon on the back - because they want to differentiate it from the original Bold 9000.

In doing so, however, they are sacrificing the 'tactile attractiveness' of the phone, which is just as important as the 'design attractiveness'.

Let's hope RIM remedies this flaw before the Dakota goes into final production.
    02-23-11 02:54 PM
    But if its carbon it would easier to cool.

1.2 Ghz is bound to get hot.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-11 02:56 PM
    The pleather gets worn down, somewhat slippery, and aesthetically displeasing after a while. I personally like the carbon look, but for functionality's sake I could understand them finding a happy medium between the two sides.
    02-23-11 03:13 PM
    I use an otterbox case anyway so I don't really care if it is leather, carbon or anything else
    02-23-11 03:16 PM
    There are really only 6 options for the back:

1. Suede from a Gucci loafer - the safe option

2. Padded, quilted (contrast stitched) leather from a Chanel handbag - sure to be a hit with the ladies

3. Crocodile skin - for heavily tanned men with a lot of gold jewellery

4. Burr walnut - my favourite, to match the wood grain panelling in your Jaguar

5. Polished granite - for durability and a nice added 'heft'

6. Beagle puppy ear - the softest thing in the world, the comfort option.
    02-23-11 03:31 PM

2. Padded, quilted (contrast stitched) leather from a Chanel handbag - sure to be a hit with the ladies

How in the world did you miss leopard-print Snuggie material to appeal to the tacky mass-market?

I'm sure that someone will produce a faux-leather back for the Bold.

02-23-11 03:42 PM
    And velvet for all those George Costanza fans.
    02-23-11 03:57 PM
    I'm getting the Beagle ear. Sounds comfy.
    02-23-11 04:36 PM

I like the Carbon finish. I doubt it's real carbon fiber anyway.

However I would need the walnut to match my Mercedes Benz and not a Jag.
    02-23-11 04:51 PM

All excellent options.
    02-23-11 10:38 PM
    Will they maybe offer a nun habit style back? I like to feel close to Jesus when I bbm.

02-23-11 11:08 PM
    Why does it really matter? There will be all sorts of after-market battery doors for the device once it hits the market.

02-23-11 11:13 PM
    And velvet for all those George Costanza fans.
    Let's not forget the warmest most durable material...Gortex!

02-24-11 05:17 AM
    They might even throw in something for the clumsy phone droppers out there. Kevlar .
    02-24-11 10:59 AM
    If the recent photos of the Dakota are accurate, it has a 'carbon effect' on the back - instead of the faux leather of the original Bold 9000.

This would be a big mistake.

The faux leather ensured that the 9000 had good 'grip' in the hand, which is critical for a larger sized keyboard phone. It also ensured the temperature on the skin was neutral rather than cold.

Carbon on the other hand, is both slippery to hold and cold on the skin. In other words, it might look sharp and high tech - but at the visceral level (ie the deep, inner gut level) it doesn't feel as friendly and useable.

I can understand why the Dakota designers may be tempted to put carbon on the back - because they want to differentiate it from the original Bold 9000.

In doing so, however, they are sacrificing the 'tactile attractiveness' of the phone, which is just as important as the 'design attractiveness'.

Let's hope RIM remedies this flaw before the Dakota goes into final production.
    Im gonna have to say...please shut up on this one.

Have you even held this phone yet? You know whats slippery...glass finishes, smooth finishes. Cold....you wanna know whats cold? Glass.

Gut level....this isn't a choice of picking meatloaf or pasta for dinner, this is a well thought out design. And at the end of the day, 80% of people are going to get a case for their phone and will never really see the back of it. And you SHOULD get a case. It would be akin to having a car with no insurance.

The back is one of the least important designs...as long as it looks like a blackberry from the front thats what matters. Don't you hold your phone..from the back? When are you looking at the back of your phone? Who looks at the backs of phones? Why is this even a topic?

If they decided to put the trackpad in the middle of the keyboard, I could understand. But you make something so non important, sound like it actually matters. If anything, the only problem people have had with backs, were they slide off from being clasped in a flimsy manner. They wanted stronger latches or hinges. Or durability after falls so that it stays on even after 40 drops.

This is why I hate going to forums for new devices, people always bring up the silliest (non) points to make topics just to talk about something.

If anything, talk about the processor or memory.
    02-24-11 11:41 AM
    Heavily tanned men ha ha that's racist.

02-24-11 01:14 PM
    lol cold on the skin??
    02-24-11 01:18 PM

Have you even held this phone yet? You know whats slippery...glass finishes, smooth finishes. Cold....you wanna know whats cold? Glass.

Gut level....this isn't a choice of picking meatloaf or pasta for dinner, this is a well thought out design. And at the end of the day, 80% of people are going to get a case for their phone and will never really see the back of it. And you SHOULD get a case. It would be akin to having a car with no insurance.

The back is one of the least important designs...as long as it looks like a blackberry from the front thats what matters. Don't you hold your phone..from the back? When are you looking at the back of your phone? Who looks at the backs of phones? Why is this even a topic?

If they decided to put the trackpad in the middle of the keyboard, I could understand. But you make something so non important, sound like it actually matters. If anything, the only problem people have had with backs, were they slide off from being clasped in a flimsy manner. They wanted stronger latches or hinges. Or durability after falls so that it stays on even after 40 drops.

This is why I hate going to forums for new devices, people always bring up the silliest (non) points to make topics just to talk about something.

+1. Completely agree.
    02-24-11 01:53 PM
    Well said, :d
    02-24-11 03:10 PM

Oh you poor baby ... did someone start a thread that wasn't what you would have posted about ? The horror !

People can post about whatever THEY want to. No one is forcing you to read anything. If you want to talk about processors why don't you stop having a tantrum and start a thread about it.

Telling people to shut up is rude, intellectually lame and the proper domain of pre-teens.

And BTW ... the antonym of important is 'unimportant'.
    Last edited by BBPP; 02-24-11 at 08:19 PM.
    poloandpearls and allergy like this.
    02-24-11 03:22 PM
    Oh you poor baby ... did someone start a thread that wasn't what you would have posted about ? The horror !

People can post about whatever THEY want to. No one is forcing you to read anything. If you want to talk about processors why don't you stop having a tantrum and start a thread about it.

Telling people to shut up is rude, intellectually lame and the proper domain of pre-teens.

And BTW ... the antonym of important is 'unimportant'.
    +1.

Though I don't agree with OP, the person who post that one is so rude and narrow-minded.

What can I say... please just grow up.
    poloandpearls likes this.
    02-24-11 09:30 PM
    if the OP is right... then blackberry has to send all Bold Touch owners a pair of Gloves... ala APPLE sending Free bumpers.
    poloandpearls likes this.
    02-24-11 09:51 PM
    Gents and Ladies, we are all getting somewhat antsy due to our desire for this phone. with RIM's very serious lack of provided information regarding this device, we are stuck inventing talking points until RIM communicates real, full specs or date of release.

With no new info, we just continue to circle each other in the fish tank, snapping at each other thinking it's food for the starved.

Best regards,

02-25-11 12:59 AM
    If you look at the pictures of the back of this device, the way the rest of the back curves down to the edges might provide the grip.
    02-25-11 02:39 AM

LMFAO

This is gold hahaha
    02-25-11 01:12 PM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD