I have read here on CB (Kevin?)that their personal Bold 99xxs have bricked. They have to have some idea what going on. They have to some inkling from RIM. Maybe I'm missing something. They are Crackberry. I"m afraid to charge a 9900 overnight. Keep thinking it's going to brick. How about an update or something from Crackberry please. Even if its that you have no clue. An update. Please. Am having Crackberry/forum paranoia?
    12-05-11 10:15 PM
    Mine just went last night. Now I've got it reloaded and the radio won't turn on. I've read that the .540 OS "fixes" this unknown issue that cause the brickification but not from any reliable source
    12-05-11 10:18 PM
    @BigYellow - That is messed up.
    12-05-11 10:45 PM
    Crackberry should put out some information regarding this and I'm shocked there is no news or mention of this outside of the forums!

Can't help but think RIM put the pressure on crackberry to contain this in order not to affect sales!

Tell me I'm wrong, please...
    12-05-11 11:19 PM
    From what I've seen Kevin wrote an article about his phone bricking a few times and then followed up with a update the RIM knows about the issue and is working on a fix.
    wolfee48 likes this.
    12-05-11 11:37 PM
    Crackberry should put out some information regarding this and I'm shocked there is no news or mention of this outside of the forums!

Can't help but think RIM put the pressure on crackberry to contain this in order not to affect sales!

Tell me I'm wrong, please...
    I am pretty sure there are more of us out there that have zero issues compared to who have issues. We just tend to hear more about the bad than the good unfortunatley. I haven't had any issues... knock on wood. But that may be because my OS is up to date and I reboot often.

I highly, highly doubt RIM has influence over Crackberry. Crackberry is the #1 place to get help and learn new things.
    12-05-11 11:38 PM
    Well it finally happened. Woke up and it will not turn on. I just get a red blinking light. Verizon is sending me another one. And mine WAS updated with the latest and "greatest" platform.
    12-05-11 11:59 PM
    I am pretty sure there are more of us out there that have zero issues compared to who have issues. We just tend to hear more about the bad than the good unfortunatley. I haven't had any issues... knock on wood. But that may be because my OS is up to date and I reboot often.
    You could be right there but I believe its got more to do with bad batches of phone out there since they're manufacture in several countries.
    12-06-11 12:57 AM
    Could be wrong but I think I remember Kevin abandoning the 99xx for the 9790.
    12-06-11 01:37 AM
    You could be right there but I believe its got more to do with bad batches of phone out there since they're manufacture in several countries.
    You're probably right about the bad batches. Where I live in Southern California, we seem to only get Blackberries made in Mexico. I've had a couple of issues with build quality, but no hardware failures.
    I must admit that I've started freaking out a bit because of this mysterious bricking issue affecting so many people. I bought the external battery charger and battery kit, so I barely ever connect my phone to a charger. I usually run the battery down to 10% or less before swapping with a freshly recharged one.
    12-06-11 02:22 AM
    You're probably right about the bad batches. Where I live in Southern California, we seem to only get Blackberries made in Mexico. I've had a couple of issues with build quality, but no hardware failures.
    I must admit that I've started freaking out a bit because of this mysterious bricking issue affecting so many people. I bought the external battery charger and battery kit, so I barely ever connect my phone to a charger. I usually run the battery down to 10% or less before swapping with a freshly recharged one.
    Same thing here in Toronto most of the BB I've had/seen are made in Mexico and they definitely have Quality Control issues as far as build quality goes.

Where did you buy an external charger kit?
    12-06-11 02:51 AM
    It is amazing how nobody at RIM is trying to fix the bricking problem.

Is it too difficult for RIM to monitor some phones while they are charging and detect why the phones enter a restart loop and they brick.

If a big company like RIM don't know or they don't want to fix the issue they are screwed, sooner or later will end like palm.
    12-06-11 03:19 AM
    Same thing here in Toronto most of the BB I've had/seen are made in Mexico and they definitely have Quality Control issues as far as build quality goes.

Where did you buy an external charger kit?
    They have it in the Crackberry store.
    https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=rMyD20ak
    I actually bought it from Amazon with free shipping and no tax. It's awesome. Very slim and compact. Comes with a short Y-cable, which allows you to charge your phone at the same time, if you wish. I just use it as an extension for my car charger. It takes about 3 hours to fully charge a depleted battery in the car. Probably faster at home. It has a status light which goes from orange to green when it is done. Just disconnect the charger and drop it in your pocket and it becomes a storage box for your extra battery.
    12-06-11 03:53 AM
    Happened to me last night. Not a happy camper.

Been trying to fix it. No luck so far.
    12-06-11 04:38 AM
    Dude,
    Don't fix anything, just go and change it, make RIM pay!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    12-06-11 05:25 AM
    Well it finally happened. Woke up and it will not turn on. I just get a red blinking light. Verizon is sending me another one. And mine WAS updated with the latest and "greatest" platform.
    At this point the .540 is only available for the 9900, not the 9930. Again, I have no reliable source to really make me believe it fixes anything, but it can't make it WORSE right?
    12-06-11 06:55 AM
    Are any of the phones bricking off the charger? Not nuked, bricked.

Sent from my .374/.474/.540 Hybrid 9930 using Tapatalk
    12-06-11 08:53 AM

I highly, highly doubt RIM has influence over Crackberry. Crackberry is the #1 place to get help and learn new things.
    I have zero issues with both Telus stock OS version and the leaked OS 7.1.... I think these issues are caused by a hardware problem, not a software one.

I always, charge overnight and most people had their phone nuked or bricked when they charge the phone overnight. I know I have a Made in Mexico 4 model, but even with the same manufacturing plant, some phones may have received different hardware vendor than others? No idea what's going on for sure, but I had zero issues since I got this phone when it was first released in Canada.
    12-06-11 08:59 AM
    It is amazing how nobody at RIM is trying to fix the bricking problem.
    Ummmm...... RIM confirms issue with BlackBerry Bold 9900 / 9930, working on a fix via software update
    Fnord likes this.
    12-06-11 09:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD