It seems to me Crackberry is dying. Nothing against Crackberry, but rather I think it's a consequence of loss of enthusiasm for Blackberry. Let me explain....

Here I am, a user of Blackberry's flagship product. I look to see a new OS (.649) is released. Within 24 hours of release, a 24 hour period goes by with no posting on the new OS. Zero posts, nada! Loss of enthusiasm by users, indeed.

I return to see new threads almost daily, describing problems with the music player. Apparently, most of these posters are so new to message boards and to the internet, that they can't search and see the volumes of information that has already been posted on these issues.

Despite the many who have these problems, some claim that they don't experience these issues. Given the deterioration in quality postings around here lately, I don't know if they truly have a problem-free player. Perhaps they just don't hear well. Perhaps they can't follow directions and duplicate the problems appropriately. I just don't know, because it's dead around here and you don't know what you're going to get in terms of posting quality.

The new OS has been released now for a few days, and I don't even see the usual "does this fix the battery drain?" posts, and I don't see the predictable "I don't get any battery drain, you must be doing something wrong" posts. Then of course, the obligatory posts asking you to wipe and reinstall your OS for everything that goes wrong. It's like the old Microsoft days - if something is wrong, just reinstall Windows, and stop complaining. If you're getting blue screens, it must be your problem. RIM and its fans are like Microsoft and its fans. There you go.

I don't love iPhone or Android. I prefer some things with respect to the Blackberry platform. However, the company needs a shocker with BB10, or the platform and brand are dead. That's my opinion.

Is Crackberry dying? Is Blackberry as a platform being abandoned to those who don't know their technology, and come here asking for help with their second-hand device? What are your thoughts?

Rant over.
    wolfee48 and sagec like this.
    08-29-12 12:02 PM
    Perhaps you are looking in the wrong place for 'newer' posts? Almost 2000 posts in a Hybrid thread. Just because no one has asked about the newest OS don't mean there's a lack of enthusiasm, not everyone goes rushing into installing a new OS if they are happy with what they already have. Also, there are many new posts daily from both new and seasoned owners alike, that's what makes CrackBerry special. It has a wealth of knowledge and expertise unsurpassed by any other Blackberry site.

Perhaps any lack of 'interest', if any, could be attributed to people being happy with their devices, and new owners unaware of sites like CrackBerry if something does go wrong. I think most posts tend to be software related rather than hardware. I also agree that the least used tool on CrackBerry is the search button!
    08-29-12 12:21 PM
    CrackBerry activity is always up and down. There are days/weeks when it is a drag and I only post once or twice a day. But then there are days when it just explodes!

A couple months ago nobody cared about hybrid OS’s for OS7, but now I’ve seen an increase in posts about them like a new growing trend. There really hasn’t been much new going on lately and I’m hoping that is because users are using the search method instead of posting the same thread over and over. The answer is out there if you just search for it.

As for 7.1.0.649… I haven’t even cared about the official release because I followed the leaked version and was not impressed. 7.1.0.580 has been excellent for me.

Sometimes a quiet CrackBerry is a good thing… no problems or issues are being experienced widespread.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    08-29-12 12:29 PM
    I just searched the new 7.1.0.649.... a thread with 32 pages was found?
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-29-12 12:41 PM
    I just searched the new 7.1.0.649.... a thread with 32 pages was found?
    That would be ironic.... except I think that's for the 9900. I'm referring to the just-released version for the 9930.
    wolfee48 likes this.
    08-29-12 12:44 PM
    Then of course, the obligatory posts asking you to wipe and reinstall your OS for everything that goes wrong. It's like the old Microsoft days - if something is wrong, just reinstall Windows, and stop complaining. If you're getting blue screens, it must be your problem. RIM and its fans are like Microsoft and its fans. There you go.
    If most posters would post a thorough description of a problem along with all details of their device environment along with what they have methodically tried then maybe they would get better responses off the bat. Usually it starts out with a title like "Please!!!!!!!!! Help me!!!!!" and takes oh 4 pages for the poster to give enough details to get real help.

To get good answers one has to ask the correct questions.

Sent from my flip-phone.
    08-29-12 12:51 PM
    7.1.0.580 has been great for me. I'm not interested in 7.1.0.649.
    08-29-12 01:10 PM
    Crackberry isn't going anywhere; it's most likely a combination of some subforums going quiet from lack of issues as well as trolling, plus with little additional information regarding future devices there's not much to drive the excitement level (and number of new threads) up. And of course there's the users who've actually left after switching devices, not everyone sticks around if they don't have a BlackBerry. And let's not count out those who tired of seeing negative/trolling posts and started visiting less.

Also, it's summer - everyone's off doing this or that because kids are home from school, people want to be outside, etc.
    wolfee48 likes this.
    08-29-12 01:15 PM
    That would be ironic.... except I think that's for the 9900. I'm referring to the just-released version for the 9930.
    9930 is not very popular..
    jayemmbee likes this.
    08-29-12 01:18 PM
    I think its just because there isn't much new and exciting things to post about. BB10 is still months away, the news are just regurgitating the same old stuffs, with the occasional new information in tiny bits and pieces. So understandably, the forums have quieten down a bit. I don't think its a loss of enthusiasm for the BlackBerry brand, its just that there are not that many things to discuss or talk about at this point. With the playbook being more than a year old and OS 7 coming close to a year too. So a lot that should be said have been said already, and i think most people do not wish to keep repeating themselves. Now everything is resting on BB10, and if there isn't news about that, there just isn't much to post. Even nowadays i find myself posting a lot less compared to when new devices were coming out. Every once in a while an interesting thread pops up and people start posting more.

But you can be sure once BB10 hits, the forums will be busy again with all sorts of threads.
    wolfee48 likes this.
    08-29-12 01:19 PM

I agree unfortunately. The local Verizon establishment by me is covered with Droid/iOs stuff. Not one BlackBerry device was displayed. I'm not sure how Sprint stores are.

No matter what Verizon advertises or pushes... I still choose BlackBerry and my 9930. I can't wait until BB10 comes out and I can tell all my peers "I told you so". We are going to see an increase in "trendy users".

Feeding my CrackBerry addiction with Tapatalk�
    08-29-12 01:42 PM
    Yep I know my neighbor hes a manager at a couple of verizon stores and he was saying that Blackberry just isn't selling so after release he moves them out for the droids or apple. They can order you one of course but just not keeping them out in the kiosks.
    Hgouck likes this.
    08-29-12 02:31 PM
    As one poster mentioned.... these type of boards go up and down on usage.... another reason that things may be quiet is that Crackberry admins have made it clear they want to stop Trolling and Flaming whenever possible.... I for one have noticed not as many issue on that front... might be why it looks qieter....

As for the OS updates.... does not matter what Platform you use... OS updates are a roll of the dice.... When I did the IOS 5.0 update... my Ipad battery went from going a couple of days of use to four hours.... it was a known issue but did not affect all users.... another update fixed the issue..... such is the way of updates.....
    wolfee48 likes this.
    08-29-12 02:53 PM
    I agree unfortunately. The local Verizon establishment by me is covered with Droid/iOs stuff. Not one BlackBerry device was displayed. I'm not sure how Sprint stores are.

No matter what Verizon advertises or pushes... I still choose BlackBerry and my 9930. I can't wait until BB10 comes out and I can tell all my peers "I told you so". We are going to see an increase in "trendy users".

Feeding my CrackBerry addiction with Tapatalk�
    Yeah me too. I can't wait until bb10 - assuming it is at least a modest hit with the NA public which would mean the apps "feature gap" gets closed. I used to show off my playbook. But the issue with it was there was such a dearth of apps that anyone could dismiss it by asking does it have... Blah blah. If bb10 is technically amazing out of the gate but gets ignored by especially the carriers (bad sign) I will not be telling anyone "see I told you so".

Sent from my flip-phone.
    wolfee48 likes this.
    08-29-12 02:54 PM
    If bb10 is technically amazing out of the gate but gets ignored by especially the carriers (bad sign) I will not be telling anyone "see I told you so".

Sent from my flip-phone.
    So true. We can only wait and see.
    08-29-12 03:00 PM
    Nothing new to talk about. People pointing out RIM's issues (aka Trolls) don't even have anything new. What are people going to post - Hey Look At The Stock Price.

I believe September 27th is the date of the next quarterly results. There will be a flurry of posts then if the numbers are great, and a flurry of posts then if the numbers are terrible.

And wait for BB 10.
    08-29-12 03:15 PM
    I think Crackberry is busier than ever in my opinion. More and more I see so many threads in which people are returning to blackberry.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    wolfee48 likes this.
    08-29-12 04:55 PM
    People have lives. There are days that I'm so busy that I literally forget to eat. Then there are days when I'm on CB all day.
    Additionally, not everyone wants to jump on every new OS. I'm perfectly happy with .391. I upgraded to .5xx and there was suddenly a mic problem AND I'd lost Device Analyser with no suitable replacement.
    So....I don't post in new OS threads. When a truly wonderful one comes out I'll upgrade. THEN I'll post about it.
    mzceetee and pantlesspenguin like this.
    08-29-12 06:38 PM
    For me CrackBerry is still going strong. Always with news,tips etc. But like RIM for the next 3-4 months is going to be a little be slow until the release of BB10, until then we might see a slow crackberry.
    08-29-12 08:44 PM
    It goes in cycles. I expect over the next month or so we'll see more activity.
    wolfee48 likes this.
    08-29-12 10:53 PM
    Hi all,

I must admit that I have been away for a while. There were no more leaks for my old 9700.

But now having got a 9810 for the missus, and a 9900 for myself - I am back.

Part of the reason I frequent Crackberry is because my carrier here in SA is still on 7.0 for our phones. So you have problems with them straight out of the box. So for me, the first thing is to come here and get the latest leak. This has resolved all the issues we had with the stock standard release.

I must admit that you still see the usual 'Please help me' posts - but I think that it is usually a noob problem and not necessarily one where the OP is just too lazy to look for the solution. Unfortunately this creates a lot of duplicate posts. But still, it gives me something to read through on those boring days.

Is CrackBerry dying? I think not. Has it slowed down a tad? Perhaps - but not significantly to me. Perhaps more people are finding solutions to their problems with the existing posts, without having to post a question.

Cheers all

Craig

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-30-12 12:04 AM
    Considering the state of RIM, it's to be expected that forums about blackberrys will be down in traffic. However, if you're thinking that crackberry is dying, you must not have spent much time at the "other" forum where blackberrys are discussed, which I'm a refugee from. Talk about death warmed over. The few in-bred regulars left there attack anyone who posts anything they disagree with. One of the moderators, who shall remain nameless, really ought to find a bridge and jump off it for all good he is doing. His attitude is toxic. Even the owner of the forum is AWOL. Relatively speaking, crackberry is the very fountain of youth.
    08-30-12 12:37 AM
    With plummeting sales, this is to be expected
    southlander likes this.
    08-30-12 04:56 AM
    Because blackberry is being outsold by android and iphone

With plummeting sales, this is to be expected
    exactly!
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 08-30-12 at 07:51 AM.
    08-30-12 07:28 AM
    NO, Crackberry is NOT dying. To many Crackberrian faithfuls, it's just a normal slow down period that happens every once in awhile.
    08-30-12 07:35 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD