Does that make me crazy? I mean the Galaxy S3 is a great phone, but I just miss having a physical keyboard. I've used Blackberries in the past, from the 9000, to the 9700, to the Torch, and then the Torch 2. I've also used iPhones 4 and 4s, as well as the Motorola Atrix and now I'm on the Galaxy S3. I guess you could say I'm indecisive, I tend to get a new phone every 6 months lol.

I never got to try the 9900 though, because when I switched from iPhone 4 to BlackBerry, only the Torch 2 was out for AT&T so I jumped onto that and went back to the 4s in a few months.

Anyways, enough background info, the reason I want to try the 9900 is because I just miss having a physical keyboard. I have a damn headache trying to type on these touch screens. Honestly the S3 is a great phone, but I just can't get used to the touch keyboard on it. Money isn't an issue, so I'm thinking about jumping over to the iPhone 5, but the crappy maps and lack of anything new is holding me back, or going to the 9900.

My reason for not pulling the trigger on the 9900 is because I feel like technologically, it's a step back from where I'm at. The camera is worse than what I have. There is no front camera. There's no InstaGram, which is kind of a big deal for me. The phone is going to be slower than the S3.

So I'm just trying to see if there's anything you guys can say to convince me to try out the 9900. I'm impatiently waiting to see the BB10 QWERTY device, just in case anyone was wondering.

Thanks for your input!
    09-28-12 01:04 AM
    I have been where you are. I have an iPhone 4, had a 9900 up until a couple months ago, and have a SGS3 now. Here's what I found.

I got rid of the 9900 due to poor battery life regardless of settings or OS optimization, the screen size (browsing was a nightmare for me, I'm near sighted and even with glasses I had a hard time), and the lack of apps I loved from iOS like flipboard and Instagram. There's a BB alternative but it's not the same. The apps I could still get like Tapatalk weren't the same quality on the BB. The keyboard is a dream but I was as fast as I was on the iphone (definitely the king of touch screen keyboards, although SwiftKey 3 is a very close second on the SGS3's system.

For me, going back to a tiny screen was a deal breaker. Yes there was some lag issues as well and I had the issue where the touchscreen became unresponsive in the sun. The 9900 is the king of BBs but it's definitely a step down from the sgs3 - even going back to my iPhone from the screen size of the SGS 3 is hard to adjust to, I can't imagine going from the 3 to the 9900.

Hope that helps, I'm one of the ones in the position of having used all of them. I can tell you this, I didn't use the 9900 as much as I use my iPhone and Galaxy, I would pick up my iPod Touch or my iPhone on wifi instead to look up something online and I was carrying two devices again so I could listen to music (one too many incidences of battery drain while playing media and the sd card corrupting and it not recognizing my music until I did a battery pull).

Sent from mah brainzzzzz via Galaxy S III and Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by reeneebob; 09-28-12 at 01:26 AM.
    RomeyyRomeee and anon(73368) like this.
    09-28-12 01:24 AM
    I agree with the post above. I have an S3 and tried a 9900 a couple of months ago but just couldn't put up with it for the same reasons. And I actually found my typing on the S3 with SwiftKey faster.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    reeneebob likes this.
    09-28-12 01:56 AM
    Just look at what you use your phone for.. I have always used BlackBerry phones and switched to Android for a short time, but realized I don't even use those 10 million apps they have.. I use my phone for communicating and my 9930 does that very well! The processor is fast, camera works well and the apps that I actually use work! I can't stand typing on a touchscreen because there is no accuracy... your phone will pretty much type for you.. I LOVE typing on my Bold!

So you just have to look at your pros and cons. There are more important things I like about BlackBerry than I like about any other platform.. and I'm not tempted at all anymore to switch.. I get what I need with my 9930 and I LOVE it!!
    09-28-12 01:58 AM
    After my 9900 bricked last August I siwtched to iphone 4, hated it so I switched to Iphone 4s, hated it so I switched to Samsung Galaxy S2 HD, hated it went without a device for three weeks, realized everything I needed was in a 9900 again, and its the only phone I every loved + I had the original 9000!

You can do it, nobody really needs a S3, people just buy it without thinking.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Bobert_123 likes this.
    09-28-12 03:19 AM
    like has been mentioned above, you want to evaluate just what you use it for.

Personally, I'm not a big on using my phone for apps and multimedia. I use it for work and I'm in contact continuously with my clients either via calls, emails or sms/IM. For these purposes, I still prefer my Bold 9900. I've used both the iphone and SG3 and although I'd never dispute they're technically more advanced (the antenna reception on SG3 is amazing for example) for me the form and function of the Bold wins out. If I've got to write something (like this, for example) I'd never dream of using one of the others, too much hassle. I'd even take my Curve 9360 over the iphone or sg3 for my work. i tend to use the sg3 as a mini-tablet for browsing the internet etc.

If you've not tried the Bold before, then it would be a nice good, if possible, to try before you buy. Don't look at me though, you'll only get my Bold when you pry my cold dead fingers off it :-)

Sent from my  BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-28-12 07:29 AM
    I went from iOS to webOS, to android, to a bb storm, back to webOS, to windows phone and then, last week I bought a used 9930 on ebay.

I agree with the others, list out what you want from your device.

I wanted quick access to notifications, good email and calendar support for work, and a good text messaging platform.

for apps, if I have access to facebook, some rss feeds and reddit, then I'm satisfied.

I'll probably look seriously at BB10 and wp8 when they are both available, but for now the 9930 (keyboard and os in particular) does what i need from a device exceptionally well.

edit: i would suggest buying used on ebay (or elsewhere), especially with the BB10 launch so close

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    andy957 likes this.
    09-28-12 07:54 AM
    I can definitely understand where you are coming from. There is just something about BlackBerry even when you do get a really high powered phone. I have been in this position many times lol.. Anyway, you should definitely try one out before you make the decision just to make sure this is what you want. I lucked out because I get to use my 9930 for work, and my personal is the Sony Xperia ion, so I always get to get my BB fix in when needed.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-28-12 07:55 AM
    I have both a 9900 and a GS3. Both are activated. One of them is payed for by my employer.

I've had the 9900 since release. The keyboard is a dream. But you know that.

If we're honest, from a hardware perspective, the 9900 is more than a "step back." It doesn't pack near the same punch hardware-wise as the GS3. And the camera on the 9900 is crap. The GS3 is best-in-class.

If photos are important, and Instagram is important, then I have a hard time saying the 9900 is right for you.

They're both great devices. But the 9900 fills a specific role really well. That's why it's got a following. But a great camera it is not. And Instagram is not on the platform.
    09-28-12 01:59 PM
    I have a Bionic with ICS, and a Galaxy Nexus, but my daily driver is the Bold 9930. I wrestled between Android & Blackerry since the 9930 was released. I'm pro-linux and its our only OS in the house and on our 3 servers. Personally, for me the BB is best, and when the new Bold releases in 2013 I am going to hold on to my 9930 as a back up. OS7 works very well, and I am tethering to a Galaxy Tab 7.7.

I gave the Galaxy Nexus to my teenage daughter, and I've got the Bionic out of the box from time to time and tried to force myself into using it, but its a no go. I am settled with the Bold 9930.
    09-28-12 04:05 PM
    Why switch? Just use both! It takes 2 seconds to swap a sims card! That's what I plan on doing. I have a HTC Amaze 4g, but like you I miss the Qwerty Keyboard! For streaming and pictures I definitely use my Amaze. My wife has the Galaxy 2 and it is Awesome! I would think the Galaxy 3 is even nicer...
    09-28-12 10:23 PM
    I have both the 9930 and the S3. I carry both. Both are top shelf in my opinion. Depends what you want it for. I use the BB to communicate. I use the S3 for all things not Blackberry. I realize this is not an option for everyone.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-28-12 10:53 PM
    The (key)board's the thing that will capture the fingers of the King.
    09-28-12 11:53 PM
    Before you switch try the SwiftKey keyboard. It's the best keyboard out right now.

On a side note can't wait to see the bb 10 keyboard.... There working with SwiftKey I heard.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    09-29-12 12:07 AM
    Does the PlayBook have Swiftkey? It makes very useful word suggestions.
    09-29-12 06:24 AM
    It's all personal. Make a list of wants and needs and another of pros and cons.

Then figure out from these lists what is most important to you.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    09-29-12 07:30 AM
    All this chat has got me hooked. Have ordered a 9900 again. It is a communication tool and using that and an S3 for Internet stuff could be a winning combo. I'll report back!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    09-29-12 07:40 AM
    I have both the Galaxy S3 and a 9900 but I prefer the 9900 for the simplicity of the device. What I do is forward the number for the S3 to the 9900 and keep the S3 turned off. If there is something I really need to do that the 9900 can't handle, then I turn on the S3.
    Last edited by DannyAves; 09-29-12 at 08:52 AM.
    09-29-12 08:39 AM
    The 9900 keyboard is a dream to use, my laptop gathers dust because I use my 9900 pretty much all the time.
    09-29-12 12:11 PM
    Thanks for all the replies. Yeah instagram is a pretty big deal for me because I like to keep up with all my friends through there. And I've been using SwiftKey 3 since I picked up my S3 but the auto correct and everything just isn't as good as when I had my iphone.

For those of you saying I can have both devices and just switch my sim in and out, will the data and everything work the same? I know that each device has a different data plan..
    09-29-12 03:25 PM
    As for speed and battery life...if you get a 9900 make sure you load the latest hybrid 7.1 OS for AT&T...phone is super fast, zero lag compared to my Galaxy S2, and battery lasts 2 days.
    09-29-12 05:19 PM
    Thanks for all the replies. Yeah instagram is a pretty big deal for me because I like to keep up with all my friends through there. And I've been using SwiftKey 3 since I picked up my S3 but the auto correct and everything just isn't as good as when I had my iphone.

For those of you saying I can have both devices and just switch my sim in and out, will the data and everything work the same? I know that each device has a different data plan..
    Be careful...I tried that a few weeks ago and with a micro SIM adapter damaged the SIM tray. It cost $45 to repair here in Miami. Others have said that you don't need the adapter, just align it properly. Personally, I would never do it again, just forward your number to the 9900 and keep the S3 as a spare device.
    09-29-12 05:31 PM
    I'll throw my opinion in the ring here... The Galaxy S 3 doesn't have much the Bold 9900 doesn't have. Dual core processors, ffc, lots of apps. I sell these suckers all day everyday, so I know how to push em. But no way I'd ever buy one for myself. Once the cool factor wore off I'd probably never use it. My Bold on the other hand, I literally find excuses to type something out. I love the keyboard, and in terms of lag, I'm running one of Berrylicio.us hybrids, so I have no clue what you speak of. Plus I also have NFC enabled, so if wanted to use tags (ala TecTiles) I can do it too. Just my 2 cents...
    BlazorBoy likes this.
    09-29-12 05:47 PM
    Be careful...I tried that a few weeks ago and with a micro SIM adapter damaged the SIM tray. It cost $45 to repair here in Miami. Others have said that you don't need the adapter, just align it properly. Personally, I would never do it again, just forward your number to the 9900 and keep the S3 as a spare device.
    One big flaw with that plan - you can't divert SMS.
    09-29-12 05:47 PM
    One big flaw with that plan - you can't divert SMS.
    That is if you use SMS, I don't.
    09-29-12 06:07 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD