So what is the longest period of time you feel comfortable letting that spare battery sit before you feel it should be topped up or conditioned?

Do you worry that if the battery sits too long it might deplete or damage it?

I have read that at least ONCE a month it is a good idea to fully drain a battery and fully charge it to "exercise" it for a "better range of use" and to maintain the battery gauge accuracy on your device.

I purposely don't use automated rebooting apps because I have 4 batteries and I prefer to pull them and swap them all occasionally to give them a good workout and maintain functionality.

I do keep ONE spare battery in my car but it is a no-name brand and it doesn't hold a charge for long before it depletes too quickly, so I just don't care about it.

Any thoughts or concerns about batteries?

Also I read that Lithium ion batteries that we use do not have "memory effect" on the battery gauge but I have not found this to be the case.

Is your battery gauge always accurate?

ok I'll stop now

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-26-16 06:39 PM
    As long as we're talking about Li-ion (Lithium ion) batteries, there's not much to worry about. NiMH and NiCad baterries (the one's that wanted exercise) are pretty much history. It's always a good idea to not let a battery completely discharge, but LiIon baterries self discharge very slowly.
    05-26-16 07:12 PM
    I have read that at least ONCE a month it is a good idea to fully drain a battery and fully charge it to "exercise" it for a "better range of use" and to maintain the battery gauge accuracy on your device.
    Check out "Battery University:"

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a..._ion_batteries

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    05-26-16 09:11 PM
    I keep mine in a container of rice, in the fridge, at about 70% charge. I have three very functional HP Pre3 batteries, so it seems to be working.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-16 10:06 PM
    Check out "Battery University:"

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a..._ion_batteries

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    Interesting that it says some Industrial chargers/aftermarket chargers do not fully charge because lithium ions can be damaged at full capacity.

05-27-16 01:51 AM
    The question remains though, how long do you feel comfortable neglecting your spares, and how long might it take before they might be beyond dead or damaged?

Supposedly if travelling for a few months and you leave some devices home, it is good to NOT have them fully charged, take them down to about 30% or so.

I know that I left a fully charged Braun electric toothbrush when travelling at Christmas and it would never hold a charge after that. It was a NI-MH battery however. (better than a Nickel Cadium because it can be charged from half-way without detrimental effect.

At least JM-1's are cheap enough.

Also had a 9780 battery swell up when it was stored for about a year, I might assume that was due to neglect.

05-27-16 03:01 AM
    The question remains though, how long do you feel comfortable neglecting your spares, and how long might it take before they might be beyond dead or damaged?
    I have no scientific basis for this, but you said "comfortable," right? If I'm storing them for future use (like the Pre3 batteries, which I thought I would never see again, and then got the opportunity to buy a new one this year!), I do a charge/discharge cycle once a year. If I'm using spares (for added capacity on long days), I just rotate between them.
    05-27-16 07:41 AM
    I have no scientific basis for this, but you said "comfortable," right? If I'm storing them for future use (like the Pre3 batteries, which I thought I would never see again, and then got the opportunity to buy a new one this year!), I do a charge/discharge cycle once a year. If I'm using spares (for added capacity on long days), I just rotate between them.
    K. I"m noticing the discharge rate on my iphone (shut down) is about 2-5% a day just from sitting. So about once a week or so I do a recharge but I like to take it down as low as I can before full discharge. The battery in it, before I got the 9900, was actually shutting down on the iphone around 20% but now it doesn't seem to be. Still I plan to have a new battery put in the 5C eventually, still seems fast enough.

05-27-16 10:12 AM