Hi everyone,

I have a strange issue with my 9900 display. It occurred to me first when the rather dark gradient background image is shown on startup of the Blackberry App World, but shows as well with dark colors in general. Here is a "screenshot" I took with my camera when the display shows a rather dark grey background image with no gradient (color code 3B3B3B) in full-screen mode:

Clock ghost image on Bold 9900 display-img_6019.jpg

See it? The 7-segment digits of the Clock app are "ghosting" through here, even though the clock app is not even running, so I am pretty sure this is not intentional. The digital clock is what the display shows most of the time because I love to use the bedside mode (with low-light settings though), and as it switches on automatically after getting inserted into the desktop charging dock, it is also shown a lot of time over the day with full brightness.
    The issue appears to be permanent, i.e. the ghost digits do not fade away. They do not occur when the display shows anything bright or is totally black (even if the backlight is on such as when the camera app is running but the lens is covered).
    Did anybody else see this on her/his 9900? I thought images burning into the display are a typical CRT, not LCD, issue. It's not vital but somewhat astounding this can happen nowadays.

Regards,
    Joe
    11-05-12 02:03 AM
    I have heard of 'image burning' on LCD screens if a static image is displayed for too long. Might this be the case since you leave the screen on for the whole night while it's charging?
    11-05-12 03:52 AM
    Probably, yes. I'm still wondering if this is a quality issue, and also if it keeps getting worse. The device is just 8 months old. How will that look in a year from now?
    I know that mobile phones are easily replaced nowadays, especially as we are facing Blackberry OS 10 which I'm looking forward to very much. Still I think a display should last considerably longer, no matter what it displays, and for how long. While the 9900 is a perfect phone otherwise, this creates a remarkable loss of confidence in its quality.
    11-05-12 06:34 AM