This is just a thread to confirm my findings really, as I was a little annoyed.

My only two previous BlackBerries have been the Storm and then the Storm2, so the charging pod slotted into the side of it. This allowed me to plug the BlackBerry in and it not only charged the phone but it also synced all of my organiser data.

I have just bought the Bold Touch 9900 charging pod and was disheartened to see that all it does it charge the phone - it doesn't sync my Outlook organiser data. To do that, I need to unplug it from the dock and then plug it straight into the phone. Is this correct or am I being an *****?

Can I expect a dock that syncs as well as charges my Bold? Were the Storm models unique in that respect?

Thanks!
    08-23-11 06:43 AM
    Most berries are just charging contacts
    08-23-11 06:56 AM
    Such a shame... But oh well. I am sure I can live with it! That's the only frustrating thing I have found with this phone so far.
    08-23-11 07:07 AM
    Most Blackberry's that have a full touchscreen (Storm, Torch) and can display landscape mode have charging docks that utilize the USB port on the side of the phone. That works OK because they can still be used as an Alarm clock or display while in the dock.
    The QWERTY keyboard style phones typically dock using battery contacts in order to keep the phone orientation upright to also allow the phone display to be visible. Of course the sacrifice here is that you get no sync. But the benefit is you are charging without plugging into (and wearing) the USB port.
    08-23-11 08:24 AM
    There will no doubt be 3rd party docks that you can use that will plug into the side while the 9900/9930 is standing upright. You would slide it in from the left and plug into the USB port for charging and syncing.
    08-23-11 08:46 AM
    I prefer not using the USB connection *too* much as I've seen too many BB's with loose, less than fully functional USB ports. Actually, I loved the 8830 "Executive Charging Station" and still wish they had kept updating the slide in docks for the newer models. Where else could you charge your BB, a spare battery and your BB Bluetooth headset!

Using BES means I don't sync to the PC - is it possible to sync over Bluetooth? Heck, I think my old Treo was able to sync over wifi?!
    08-23-11 08:52 AM
    If you are on BIS I see this is beneficial as you would like to sync as often as you can with minimal effort. I've been on BES so never thought about this issue.
    08-23-11 09:13 AM
    I had a pod for my 9630 / 9650.. was the same setup. I just use it as a bedside alarm clock, so it works fine for me. I like the green light too.
    08-23-11 09:17 AM
    OK cool. Does anyone know if I am able to sync my organizer data through Bluetooth or Wifi?
    08-23-11 09:38 AM
    caustion with this dock. it is very shallow and my 9930 has already slipped out and fell onto the floor. it also sometimes takes 2 or 3 times to get it into the dock with the contacts connecting right.

hoping there is a good aftermarket one soon.
    08-23-11 09:56 AM
    Will someone make a video review of the charging dock? It appears to me that the dock is too shallow and will not hold the device well. I have tried a few searches to see if anyone has a review out. The only one I could find was not very clear.
    08-24-11 11:00 PM
    cant wait for my charging pod. ordered at shop crackberry and it is supposed to ship this week...
    08-25-11 07:55 AM
    I took delivery of my charging pod today, and to my shock it came with it's own charger. That doesn't usually happen!

It's tiny too, but works great.
    08-25-11 07:56 AM
    This is just a thread to confirm my findings really, as I was a little annoyed.

My only two previous BlackBerries have been the Storm and then the Storm2, so the charging pod slotted into the side of it. This allowed me to plug the BlackBerry in and it not only charged the phone but it also synced all of my organiser data.

I have just bought the Bold Touch 9900 charging pod and was disheartened to see that all it does it charge the phone - it doesn't sync my Outlook organiser data. To do that, I need to unplug it from the dock and then plug it straight into the phone. Is this correct or am I being an *****?

Can I expect a dock that syncs as well as charges my Bold? Were the Storm models unique in that respect?

Thanks!
    Check out Funambol Mobile Sync. You won't ever have to plug in your device ever again to sync it. You install a plug in in Outlook and an app on your device. I have been using it for several years over three different devices.
    08-25-11 08:30 AM
    I took delivery of my charging pod today, and to my shock it came with it's own charger. That doesn't usually happen!

It's tiny too, but works great.
    I was shocked too. Highly recommend it.
    08-25-11 08:33 AM
    Picked mine up at the local Vz store (took forever for them to get any accessories) and I'm happy with it. A lot of ppl complained that it wasn't stable enough and that they to reseat it all the time to get the contacts lined up.

True it's not as stable as the pod for say the 9650 but your pod should be set back on your desk, not where you're flinging your hands all over. Just don't be an ***** and smack it.

I havent had a problem getting the contacts lined up to get it to charge. I did numerous tests of setting it down and the only way I've gotten it not to contact was when I intentionally set it down lopsidded.
    08-25-11 05:44 PM
    Today had mine delivered from Play.com for just over �15 post free......so impressed I have ordered another one as I think it is a good idea to have one in my living room as a charging point top up. Very good and fab value for money. I used to have one for my 9780 that I bought on ebay that charged and also had an additon usb coil lead built into the side of the moulding that worked pretty good. In my office now I have the new 9900 charging pod and right next to it I have a USB and just connect the usb when I sync....simples! (BTW, I am typing this on my new 9900 and for a years I had the doub le type issue with a sticky key on the 9780 keypad....Yee haa this is friggin awesome)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by magician1; 08-25-11 at 06:18 PM.
    08-25-11 06:16 PM
    I have not had any problems at all with the charging connections not lining up or it falling out of the dock.
    08-27-11 08:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD