Is there any way to get my Bold 9930 to work with GSM? My soon-to-be former provider, nTelos (CDMA; taken over by Shentel, a Sprint affiliate) insists that my phone is locked and I would need the unlock code from BB. Called BB, who assured me that all their phones are already unlocked. Called nTelos back, with no good result. Rather than continue this unproductive game, I'd like to switch providers altogether. AT&T (GSM) at least offers the BB Classic in their new phone lineup, so I'd like to know if there is any way for me to continue to use my 9930 with them. Currently there is no SIM card in my phone; would it take the nano SIM card from AT &T? Has this happened to anyone else, and if so, what did you do?

Thanks for any advice, and apologies if this issue has been addressed already.

8/18 Update: Thanks to all for your comments and advice. I will be switching carriers, of course. And -- a new Classic is on its way!
    Last edited by tinytyke; 08-18-16 at 05:29 AM.
    08-17-16 01:28 PM
    Think it would only work on 2G bands....

If you get the phone unlocked from your current Carrier, and IF AT&T is even still offering new BIS plans.

Advice... check to see if AT&T is offering BlackBerry Data Plan (if you can find anyone that still knows what that is), and if you really must stick with a BBOS device... buy a used 9900.

As for the Classic being in their "new" phone lineup.... it is already out of production and the BB10 OS is pretty much EOL. This is greatly debated here, but the simple truth is it has been almost 18 months since it has seen anything major done to it, and there are only two promised security patches coming... one of with is about six months late and counting.

If AT&T is who you need to use, and you need a PKB device... New Unlocked BlackBerry PRIV (AT&T Branded) GSM Slider Android Smartph ? Daily Steals
    08-17-16 02:11 PM
    BlackBerry Bold Touch 9930 - Full phone specifications
    According to them the 9930 takes a mini-sim.
    2G bands GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
    CDMA 800 / 1900
    3G bands HSDPA 900 / 2100
    CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
    Speed HSPA 14.4/5.76 Mbps, EV-DO Rev.A 3.1 Mbps
    GPRS Yes
    EDGE Yes
    08-17-16 02:14 PM
    Is there any way to get my Bold 9930 to work with GSM? My soon-to-be former provider, nTelos (CDMA; taken over by Shentel, a Sprint affiliate) insists that my phone is locked and I would need the unlock code from BB. Called BB, who assured me that all their phones are already unlocked. Called nTelos back, with no good result. Rather than continue this unproductive game, I'd like to switch providers altogether. AT&T (GSM) at least offers the BB Classic in their new phone lineup, so I'd like to know if there is any way for me to continue to use my 9930 with them. Currently there is no SIM card in my phone; would it take the nano SIM card from AT &T? Has this happened to anyone else, and if so, what did you do?

The long and short here is... No. You'll be stuck on 2G and even then, that's only if you can get the service books from AT&T to load properly. Just get a new device and leave your janky carrier forever.
    08-17-16 02:35 PM
    Just get a new device and leave your janky carrier forever.
    Harsh, man, harsh!
    08-17-16 06:06 PM

You can buy a Classic fairly cheap now and you will save the BIS payment, so time to switch.
    08-17-16 06:11 PM
    You can buy a Classic fairly cheap now and you will save the BIS payment, so time to switch.
    Yep, you'll save on the BIS payment --- BUT (depending where you live & who your carrier is) you'll spend even more money on a data plan to support BB10

BIS sips data, BB10 gulps it – and yes I do have and use both OS7 & BB10 devices
    08-18-16 09:08 AM
    Yep, you'll save on the BIS payment --- BUT (depending where you live & who your carrier is) you'll spend even more money on a data plan to support BB10

BIS sips data, BB10 gulps it � and yes I do have and use both OS7 & BB10 devices
    I do perfectly fine with 750mb mobile data a month, I don't even have to connect to WiFi at work and My plan is tiny compared to standard contract these days.
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    08-18-16 09:17 AM
    BIS sips data, BB10 gulps it – and yes I do have and use both OS7 & BB10 devices
    Started out with 415Mb of data May first. I have 250 Mb left as of 08-18. You have to set your device up to sip data and keep it off when not needed. I'd love to have that sort of control on my wifes LG F6.
    08-18-16 02:11 PM
    I do perfectly fine with 750mb mobile data a month, I don't even have to connect to WiFi at work and My plan is tiny compared to standard contract these days.
    That's good, and to be honest I achieve similar with a 1GB monthly data plan and BB10, but if I use my 9900 I rarely dent 100 MB and my network provider regularly recommends that I reduce my data plan. For me BIS is free with any (giffgaff UK) data plan
    08-18-16 02:14 PM

BIS sips data, BB10 gulps it � and yes I do have and use both OS7 & BB10 devices
    Absolutely correct about the BIS. I have never had a BB10 device but I get 5GB's a month and on the 9900 I can't come close to using 500MB's! I can however compare this to an iphone and I have come as close as 4.6 GB's out of my 5.

I think the reason they gave more data on the BB plans from 5 years ago (yes I am still on the same plan that was for my 9780) is because they KNEW with BIS it uses practically nothing.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-18-16 07:05 PM
    Update: the Classic didn't work out, so back it went for a refund. Meanwhile, I found a really nice 9900 on eBay (4G; unlocked for AT&T) and it's now up and running on their prepaid plan. This is a fantastic phone; many thanks to those of you who recommended it!
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    08-25-16 04:07 PM
    Update: the Classic didn't work out, so back it went for a refund. Meanwhile, I found a really nice 9900 on eBay (4G; unlocked for AT&T) and it's now up and running on their prepaid plan. This is a fantastic phone; many thanks to those of you who recommended it!
    Cool, so BIS and everything is ok. Keyboard comparison?
    08-25-16 04:10 PM
    Ralph, because the Classic's keyboard is straight across it was kind of uncomfortable for me. I also didn't like the "candy bar" feel of the phone. Even though my 9900 doesn't have BIS (at least not yet), that's o.k. with me since I really don't need -- or want -- Gmail synced to my phone. Being able to use that slightly curved keyboard is worth it to me. It is a very ergonomically designed phone that feels nice and solid in the hand. I plan to keep this 9900 as long as possible.
    08-25-16 09:01 PM
    Ralph, because the Classic's keyboard is straight across it was kind of uncomfortable for me. I also didn't like the "candy bar" feel of the phone. Even though my 9900 doesn't have BIS (at least not yet), that's o.k. with me since I really don't need -- or want -- Gmail synced to my phone. Being able to use that slightly curved keyboard is worth it to me. It is a very ergonomically designed phone that feels nice and solid in the hand. I plan to keep this 9900 as long as possible.
    Interesting. Yes, very SOLID device the 9900, fun to use also. I love the clicky keyboard, especially my new KB it just feels so good. when I pop the sim into the iphone I am almost miserable typing on the glass.

Mine is fully up and running with BIS, Email, texting, apps galore, and having a ball. Hope you can get your BIS, it's nice to have if you can.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    tinytyke likes this.
    08-25-16 09:55 PM
    when I pop the sim into the iphone I am almost miserable typing on the glass.
    Well there's your problem. No BB "swiftkey" VKB.

Being almost unable to see my Z30's VKB without reading glasses, I dread the day I will need to use any other VKB
    08-26-16 10:34 AM
    Well there's your problem. No BB "swiftkey" VKB.

Being almost unable to see my Z30's VKB without reading glasses, I dread the day I will need to use any other VKB
    It probably doesn't help that I have the 4 inch iPhone
    Rustybronco likes this.
    08-26-16 10:42 AM