New user here. Got a BB9900 from work and don't care for it. Gave it to my son to use with his pay as you go account sim on the same network and both phone and texting work. The issue is he can't connect to the internet at home on our wi-fi. Anyone know how to fix this. I've reset the phone and he does not have a data plan.
    12-09-11 05:21 PM
    First off, welcome to CrackBerry!
    As soon as you have a minute, please update your profile to include your device, carrier, and location. This makes it easier for others to help you.

A BlackBerry-specific data plan is required, aka BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service). Most BB data, even via Wi-Fi, still passes through RIM's servers.
    12-09-11 05:28 PM
    get him a BIS Account
    12-09-11 05:29 PM
    Please excuse me as I am not very BB savy. Can I get a BIS account without paying for data. All he needs is wi-fi at home.
    12-09-11 05:38 PM
    No, a BIS account is a BlackBerry data plan.
    That's just what BlackBerry calls the data service.
    12-09-11 05:43 PM
    Um, I was hooked up to the internet without a sim or media card installed. You should be able to access wi-fi, and at least some internet functions w/o a data plan.

I'm guessing you can't setup email without BIS, would have to do that via the web browser.

To the OP, welcome
    12-09-11 05:58 PM
    I'm a relative noobie, but does the phone show the wi-fi and are you able to attempt a connection?
    12-09-11 06:02 PM
    Um, I was hooked up to the internet without a sim or media card installed. You should be able to access wi-fi, and at least some internet functions w/o a data plan.

I'm guessing you can't setup email without BIS, would have to do that via the web browser.

To the OP, welcome
    Not looking for e-mail, just Internet over wi-fi without a data plan. Thanks for the welcomes.
    12-09-11 06:03 PM
    I think we posted at the same time above...

Does the phone recognize the wi-fi and attempt to connect?
    12-09-11 09:08 PM
    The phone is connected to my wi-fi and recognizes it however it won't go on the Internet or YouTube.
    12-10-11 05:50 AM
    You need an active BlackBerry data plan to access the internet even over WiFi.
    12-10-11 05:53 AM
    Anyway around this by unlocking or something?
    12-10-11 03:00 PM
    Unfortunately no. But if you're in the UK (as I am) then you'll be able to get a pay as you go plan that includes this. He only has to top up �5 or �10 per month to get all of these features. Plus he'll get BBM and internet fine when he is not connected to your home Wi-Fi network.
    12-10-11 04:55 PM
    T How come I was was able to use the wi-fi w/o a sim card and no att services going to the phone? I don't understand...I did it this way for a nearly a week before I moved from my old phone.
    12-11-11 12:26 AM
    Is there a custom ROM I can put on to do this?
    12-11-11 07:28 AM
    "Custom ROM"??

It's a BlackBerry not an Android.

There's no work around. WiFi requires the proper Service Books. Many/most carriers do not send the Service Books without the proper data plan.
    12-11-11 07:30 AM
    I was having the same issue but a reset ( alt + right hand shift + delete) made the difference for me. Can't comment on the contradictory statements regarding data plans. I've got my cell network turned off right now and am just on wifi
    12-16-11 08:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD