i cant install the new os in my 9930 for verizon ive tried deleting the vendor files using app loader and desktop maanger tried doing a device swipe tried everything in the book really. my phone just doesnt seem to see the file at all ps this is the .362 update running .353
    10-03-11 11:11 PM

Here's my short-version OS install guide if anyone needs a refresher...

ELITE1's Quick OS UPGRADE GUIDE

1. (Optional) Uninstall any previous OS from your PC.
    2. Download OS to PC. Use Internet Explorer to do so, not Firefox or Chrome. (For leaked versions, the browser is irrelevant though.)
    3. Following successful DL, run OS file to install OS on PC.
    4. On BB, go to BBM Options, scroll down to Backup section. Ensure Remote Backup is enabled AND also conduct a Local Backup to media card.
    5. Go through any 3rd party apps that have option to save settings to media card, and conduct Backup to media card from menu within each of these apps. (Examples: all Bellshare apps such as BerryBuzz & BerryWeather; QuickLaunch; Shao's apps such as Wallpaper Changer & SixTools; Show Me The Images; etc).
    6. Connect BB to PC. Open DM and backup device. Close DM.
    7. (Optional) Use desktop program like BBSAK or BBMCP to backup 3rd party apps.
    8. On PC, navigate to
      •64-bit: Computer/C:/Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader and delete file therein called Vendor.
      •32-bit: Computer/C:/Program Files/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader and delete file therein called Vendor.
    9. (Optional/Recommended) Run BB Boss or Shrink-A-OS/BBHybrids Tool.
    10. In same AppLoader file where you deleted Vendor, double-click on Loader to initiate OS upgrade. Follow onscreen instructions.

Hope this helps....
    EVOP likes this.
    10-03-11 11:16 PM
    Hope this helps....
    where do i find the 32 bit file
    10-03-11 11:23 PM
    Hope this helps....
    actually i found it but inside the common files folder there is no rim folder only in the 86 one
    10-03-11 11:26 PM
    Try this, it was the fix for me:

Vendor.xml Locations:
    C:\Users\*user name*\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader

I could not find the vendor file in the AppLoader area. What you have to do is when you open C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files....etc, you must first go to "tools" and check the box to "SHOW all hidden files". You will then see the 2nd vendor file there. Delete it and download the file. Go into DM and plug in and DM will see the new update!! Click on it and away you go.

I've had it for about a week and have seen improvements in web and battery life. No issues at all. Good Luck...
    kidmac13 likes this.
    10-03-11 11:26 PM
    smh i still cant find the second vendor file
    10-03-11 11:51 PM
    Second?? Should only be one....

Delete the OS upgrade & start from scratch...
    10-04-11 12:14 AM
    There are 2.....You have to go into tools (maybe on IE) and check the box allowing hidden files to be shown. Once you do that, go back to \Program Files (86x)\..... and follow the string and you will see \Research In Motion, click on that and you will see the 2nd vendor.xml delete it and go back into DM and it will see the new build once you connect your 9930 to DM
    10-04-11 12:20 AM
    Try this, it was the fix for me:

Vendor.xml Locations:
    C:\Users\*user name*\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader

I could not find the vendor file in the AppLoader area. What you have to do is when you open C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files....etc, you must first go to "tools" and check the box to "SHOW all hidden files". You will then see the 2nd vendor file there. Delete it and download the file. Go into DM and plug in and DM will see the new update!! Click on it and away you go.

I've had it for about a week and have seen improvements in web and battery life. No issues at all. Good Luck...

Thank you beyond so much for that. ive never had issues with an os, since my original bold, but ive spent hrs trying to get the latest os on my 9900.
    10-19-11 08:34 AM
    Disregard.
    10-19-11 08:50 AM
    Its hilarious to me that this is so complex, what typical user would know how to do this stuff, or even care to find out?
    RIM, THIS IS WHY PEOPLE BUY IPHONES. FIGURE IT OUT.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-19-11 10:37 AM
    Its hilarious to me that this is so complex, what typical user would know how to do this stuff, or even care to find out?
    What you fail to understand is that this is not the normal process when you are updating your phone with a version of the OS that your carrier has approved. Those updates are not complex at all... and are the types of updates that most users will bother with, if they even bother updating their phones at all.
    10-19-11 10:40 AM
    Disregard.
    Roger that.
    10-19-11 10:41 AM

The OP is attempting to install an OS offered by another carrier. No reason RIM should make it easy to do this. When your own carrier releases an updated it can be made available OTA (don't need a computer to update - much more simple than an iPhone update!!) or by connecting to Desktop Manager (about the same complexity as an iPhone update).
    10-19-11 10:49 AM

Complex? This is how I updated my 9930 last night.

1. Plug in 9930 to computer via USB
    2. Download and install new OS
    3. Put check mark where it says "Launch Desktop Software on Exit"
    4. Click "Update" when DM starts and recognizes a new OS version is available to be installed.

Even the iSheep can figure that one out I think. Even if it's not the vender specific OS like the OP is asking about deleting one file isn't rocket science.
    elphie28 likes this.
    10-19-11 12:12 PM
    Thank you so much for this version, otacon 72. I just updated my 9930, and it was a breeze!
    Last edited by elphie28; 10-21-11 at 08:52 PM.
    10-21-11 08:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD