Hello everyone,

I am having problemas connecting to BB services, even using wi-fi.

Recently I purchased a BB 9900 in Portugal, got it set up and working. Everything was fine until I landed in Angola.

I knew that both the two mobile operators (Unitel, Movicel) would not support BB services (Appworld, BBM), at least so far.

But I tought I would be able to reach these services by Wi-Fi, it was a surprise when it not go according to plan.

Was my assumption wrong? Do BB services require another setup?

Below are the details and the message errors:

SIM card from Unitel
    WI-Fi only. Mobile Network disabled - we cannot connect you to blackberry app world. please ensure that your device is connected to the wireless network and try again.
    With Network on and Wi-Fi: Blackberry app world is not currently available in your country. please check blackberry.com/appworld for updates
    BBM does not work. But Blackberry ID returns values (my details).

Set up:

data services: on
    while roaming: prompt

Mobile Hotspot: cannot start mobile hotspot due to a temporary network problem. please try again later.

Thanks in advance
    06-14-12 06:14 AM
    In order to get my BB Services (BIS) to function over WiFi - I had to call my mobile operator and have them activate it (this was a few years go tho).

When travelling with Roaming Off (for Data Services) I still get all my private e-mails, BBMs etc.
    06-14-12 06:40 AM
    I actived the services (BIS) while in Portugal. Do I need to do the same in Angola?
    06-14-12 07:13 AM
    You need an active data plan with whoever is providing your cellular service.
    06-14-12 07:53 AM
    I am connected via Wi-Fi.

Do I still need a data plan from the mobile operator in order to get BlS?

Cant I get BIS via Wi-Fi?

p.s. The APN of the mobile operator was set up upon arrival.
    Last edited by kraidx; 06-14-12 at 08:47 AM.
    06-14-12 08:44 AM
    Cant I get BIS via Wi-Fi?
    Only on OS7.1

Sent from my BlackBerry� Bold�
    06-14-12 08:53 AM
    I have OS 7.1
    06-14-12 09:02 AM
    I have OS 7.1
    You also have a SIM card from a carrier who doesn't support BB services... remove it, and replace it with the one you set up the phone with in Portugal. There is a conflict of service books.

Sent from my BlackBerry� Bold�
    Last edited by Phill_UK; 06-14-12 at 10:20 AM.
    06-14-12 09:06 AM
    Yes you need a Blackberry Data Plan from your mobile phone carrier in order to use BIS via wifi.
    06-14-12 09:57 AM
    Yes you need a Blackberry Data Plan from your mobile phone carrier in order to use BIS via wifi.
    I think you need the BIS activated SIM in the phone too. I just tried as Phill suggested and no BIS on 7.1 over wifi when the SIM is out of the phone.
    06-14-12 10:01 AM
    You also have a SIM card from a carrier who doesn't support BB services... remove it, and replace it with the one you set up the phone with in Portugal. There is a conflict of service books.
    I have inserted the SIM card from Portugal and it connected to BBM, without the Wi-FI but only for 30s or so.

Tommorrow I am going to try the same SIM card on a Wi-Fi to see what happens.

Is there a way to solve the conflict of service books? I would like to use the Unitel (Angola) SIM.

Movicel (Angola) is supposed to support BB services, I am going to get a SIM to see if it works.

Thanks for the support
    Last edited by kraidx; 06-14-12 at 04:49 PM.
    06-14-12 04:46 PM
    With your working SIM in, turn data roaming off and connect to Wifi and you should see the BIS symbol by the wifi. If in doubt about using roaming data, turn of the mobile network and stay on wifi.

To get BlackBerry service you need a BIS activated SIM in the phone, even if just using wifi for your data. If you cannot activate BIS on the United SIM, you will need to try a Carrier that has BIS service.
    Last edited by robsteve; 06-14-12 at 06:52 PM.
    06-14-12 06:48 PM
    I have inserted the working SIM, disabled data roaming and switched off mobile network.

Still appworld and BBM did not work.

Also tried msn, it returned the message "data services unavailable". I was able to access Twitter and Facebook.
    Last edited by kraidx; 06-18-12 at 04:32 AM.
    06-18-12 04:20 AM
    As you said you have OS7.1 but I suggest you to check update bundle 1149 recently.

Its working (wifi) on my 9900 after I updated OS7.1.0 bundle 1149.

I been to Angola and I was carrying UAE card on which I have put data pack for just internet using (not much sure but kind of GPRS). It worked fine, infact I didnt use Unitel on my bb.

Recently Unitel started BIS services for their postpaid (billing) customers. (it is not for prepaid users)

As per my exp on travel to other countries I found on my BB running BIS as EDGE and GPRS also.

This time in Angola, I will try following
    Putting Unitel sim in my BB and recharge just any of normal internet browsing pack such as 3G, GPRS and see if its working with OS7.1.0 bundle 1149.

if anyone have more ideas please share.

Hello everyone,

I am having problemas connecting to BB services, even using wi-fi.

Recently I purchased a BB 9900 in Portugal, got it set up and working. Everything was fine until I landed in Angola.

I knew that both the two mobile operators (Unitel, Movicel) would not support BB services (Appworld, BBM), at least so far.

But I tought I would be able to reach these services by Wi-Fi, it was a surprise when it not go according to plan.

Was my assumption wrong? Do BB services require another setup?

Below are the details and the message errors:

SIM card from Unitel
    WI-Fi only. Mobile Network disabled - we cannot connect you to blackberry app world. please ensure that your device is connected to the wireless network and try again.
    With Network on and Wi-Fi: Blackberry app world is not currently available in your country. please check blackberry.com/appworld for updates
    BBM does not work. But Blackberry ID returns values (my details).

Set up:

data services: on
    while roaming: prompt

Mobile Hotspot: cannot start mobile hotspot due to a temporary network problem. please try again later.

Thanks in advance
    08-25-12 11:48 PM
    Some things will work on WIFI without a sim card in the device if you have 7.1 installed, for example you can use APP World to download apps.

However

You must have a BLACKBERRY DATA PLAN, or the BBCODE attached to any other smart phone plan in order for the BBEMAIl/BBM to work.

BBM/EMAIL Can't work over wifi, it requires a BBCode attached to your plan, you have to call your carrier and get a blackberry data plan.
    08-25-12 11:59 PM
    I do have the bundle 1149.

That is what I did:
    "Putting Unitel sim in my BB and recharge just any of normal internet browsing pack such as 3G, GPRS and see if its working with OS7.1.0 bundle 1149."

Still didnt work.

Let me know if you managed to use BIS with a Unitel prepaid card.

As you said you have OS7.1 but I suggest you to check update bundle 1149 recently.

Its working (wifi) on my 9900 after I updated OS7.1.0 bundle 1149.

I been to Angola and I was carrying UAE card on which I have put data pack for just internet using (not much sure but kind of GPRS). It worked fine, infact I didnt use Unitel on my bb.

Recently Unitel started BIS services for their postpaid (billing) customers. (it is not for prepaid users)

As per my exp on travel to other countries I found on my BB running BIS as EDGE and GPRS also.

This time in Angola, I will try following
    Putting Unitel sim in my BB and recharge just any of normal internet browsing pack such as 3G, GPRS and see if its working with OS7.1.0 bundle 1149.

if anyone have more ideas please share.
    09-02-12 03:36 PM
    I tried using wi-fi with and without a SIM, it didnt work.

I had a BB data plan for my portuguese SIM. I was under the impression that once you connected the 9900 once to BB services it would work over wi-fi. I even tried using the Portuguese SIM over wi-fi to see if it would reach BB services. It didnt.

Some things will work on WIFI without a sim card in the device if you have 7.1 installed, for example you can use APP World to download apps.

However

You must have a BLACKBERRY DATA PLAN, or the BBCODE attached to any other smart phone plan in order for the BBEMAIl/BBM to work.

BBM/EMAIL Can't work over wifi, it requires a BBCode attached to your plan, you have to call your carrier and get a blackberry data plan.
    09-02-12 03:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD