Good Afternoon All,

I went searching through the threads and was unable to find anything regarding the quality of the camera on the BB 9900/9930. Would be possible if some owners could take some outside/indoor/low light pictures? I am a massive picture taking freak and I am going through withdrawals right now using this Pantech Link GoPhone. Thank you everybody for your time and have a nice day!
    08-02-11 10:34 AM
    With good lighting the camera does quite well. Does not so well with poorer lighting. I would give it an average but then again I have used the 8mp Galaxy S2 which would take really detailed shots.

The 9900 camera is more than good enough for casual use and the touch screen makes it's control of the hardware work well.
    BBxpress likes this.
    08-02-11 10:38 AM
    I saw this picture which I believe was taken with the Bold.

http://tbreak.com/tech/files/bold9900_samplepic.jpg (sorry I forget what the html code for shrinking a picture is)
    Not bad for a phone and the browser could very well be messing it up. A photo program might make it look better.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...online-634164/
    BlackBerry Bold 9900 Smartphone Review | t-break: Tech @ Its Fastest
    Last edited by flyersfan76; 08-02-11 at 01:42 PM.
    08-02-11 10:48 AM
    With good lighting the camera does quite well. Does not so well with poorer lighting. I would give it an average but then again I have used the 8mp Galaxy S2 which would take really detailed shots.

The 9900 camera is more than good enough for casual use and the touch screen makes it's control of the hardware work well.
    I have seen conflicting things. Some say auto focus some say not. Can you confirm either?
    08-02-11 01:25 PM
    My Bold 9650 takes pictures that are of higher quality than an iphone 4....
    ...The more phones I play with the more I believe MP isn't the most important thing.
    ...My Bold 9650 has a 3.2mp camera and it takes excellent pictures.
    08-02-11 01:55 PM
    ...The more phones I play with the more I believe MP isn't the most important thing.
    ...My Bold 9650 has a 3.2mp camera and it takes excellent pictures.
    MP has little to do with picture quality. MP has more to do with the size of the picture that you can blow up before it gets grainy, distorted, etc.
    08-02-11 02:47 PM
    MP has little to do with picture quality. MP has more to do with the size of the picture that you can blow up before it gets grainy, distorted, etc.
    I would believe that for sure! For a short time I had an affair with an HTC EVO that had an 8mp camera.....
    ....My Bold handed that phone it's asssss when it came time for picture taking and email.
    ....The EVO ate batteries like there was no tomorrow which is why I dumped it.
    08-02-11 03:00 PM
    Then there is something wrong with your iPhone 4 camera. I have both devices.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-11 03:21 PM
    I might be wrong here, but like some have said the megapixel really isn't what makes a picture clearer, it's the lens itself, and since most smartphones have mini lenses, even if you have a smartphone could have 10MP, and device with a larger lens and only 5MP would actually take a better pic. Not a photograher, but have heard this from those who have experiance in it.

08-02-11 03:25 PM
    I think the iphone 4 has one of the best cameras on a mobile device that I've seen. I've never owner an apple product and can easily say that.

I was excited for the cameras on the new bbs but I'm afraid they will lack auto focus. I'm pretty sure they will have an all focus lense instead. I believe they are cheaper to produce and are better for videos.

08-02-11 03:28 PM
    I think the iphone 4 has one of the best cameras on a mobile device that I've seen. I've never owner an apple product and can easily say that.

I was excited for the cameras on the new bbs but I'm afraid they will lack auto focus. I'm pretty sure they will have an all focus lense instead. I believe they are cheaper to produce and are better for videos.

Yeah i have seen several vids that say all focus but some stat sheets saying auto focus so wasnt sure. I did see one vid the guy said its the same camera thats in the playbook
    08-02-11 03:39 PM
    I'd have to disagree about the iPhone 4 camera... I had a samsung captivate that took brilliant pictures... I cringe every time my wife shows me her pictures... Horrible. I dislike using her camera as well... It's just so basic and kiddie feeling. Just my opinion and by no means am I flaming the iPhone.... Just my observation
    08-02-11 05:53 PM

bold 9900 camera is an auto focus camera - I have used it and I can confirm that.

08-02-11 06:38 PM
    bold 9900 camera is an auto focus camera - I have used it and I can confirm that.

Well guess that confirms that that's for the info. Either way I will be happy with it. Heck I am happy with the pics my 9700 takes

08-02-11 06:42 PM

Aww come on, please upload some camera pictures!?
    08-02-11 07:09 PM
    Then there is something wrong with your iPhone 4 camera. I have both devices.

I do as well - in fact I've got ( direct access ) to 6 iphone 4's....
    ...And frankly the pictures they take look no better than the DROIDS.
    ...They have a washed out look to them.

The Blackberry 3.2 MP camera pictures have a glossy look to them and look much better....
    ...You will look long and hard on this forum to find somone harder on RIM than me.
    ...And I'm happy to hold RIM to higher standards - the camera isn't their problem.
    purijagmohan likes this.
    08-02-11 07:40 PM
    It's the same 5mp camera as in the playbook.

Also, while a "bigger lens" allows for more light to hit the sensor - the most critical component of image quality in a mobile phone camera is the sensor itself/ its size.

Each pixel is an actual physical component of a sensor. As cameras get smaller, the sensors get smaller as well. Pixels then become smaller too. Also, with increasing the megapixel count of a sensor, the pixels decrease even more.

Having a smaller pixel means there is less area of a pixel for photons to be absorbed by the pixel. Less photons hitting the pixel means there is less electrons inside the sensor being converted to a image signal. This signal is then required to be boosted (like turning up the volume on your stereo) in order to form a usable image. Unfortunately, starting with a weak signal and then boosting it, introduces artifacts in the image (noise/coloured spots). Because of these artifacts, your overall image quality is reduced with smaller sensors/pixels/higher pixel count.

Wonder why your cell phone camera is pretty crap in lower light compared to your DSLR? This is why.

Bigger pixels = higher sensitivity/better quantum efficiency = better

Current technology for most sensors in mobile phones puts pixel size at 1.75um/1.4um. 8-12mp cameras will likely have 1.1um pixels with sub-micron pixels popping up sometime in 2013. Scary. Typical DSLR pixel pitch is >5um.
    wu-wei likes this.
    08-03-11 12:44 AM

I hope you're right. Several videos I've seen confirm it does NOT have auto focus. I guess I'll have to see it to believe it. The focus it has seems to be software based.

Watch that from 11:25. They confirm it is an ALL FOCUS like on the PlayBook.

I've also heard a rep refer to it as an EDOF (extended depth of field) camera which is basically the same thing.

Here's a nice explanation between EDOF/All Focus Vs. Auto Focus

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu...us_Underst.php

Edit: In a nutshell...EDOF cameras...

Pros
    •(despite the high technology that goes into making them) probably work out cheaper to manufacture (after the original R&D)
    •are more robust
    •don't need expensive two-stage shutter buttons
    •produce better video output
    •have no 'shutter lag' or auto-focus delay - shot to shot times can be less than a second, making EDoF great for 'action' environments
    •assume no photographic expertise on the part of the phone user - photos can be snapped instantly without worrying about subject movement or focus

Cons
    •there's no way to get crisp images of anything closer than about 40cm, i.e. no macro photography
    •because the overall camera unit is smaller, the sensor will be smaller, so there may well be issues with gathering enough light when conditions aren't ideal
    Last edited by UrbanGlowCam; 08-03-11 at 01:00 AM.
    08-03-11 12:50 AM
    The 9900/9930 will have a 5.0 megapixel camera. Also it will be able to record videos in 720P HD. So it will be a pretty good camera built into the device.
    08-03-11 04:04 AM
    i know what is auto focus (bold 9700) and all focus (nokia e7)..as I said, bold 9900 is auto focus, i have used one..it takes great shot and HD video...it also has a close up scene mode..if you don't believe that it has auto focus from someone who has used it, then wait to confirm it yourself

08-03-11 07:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD