Hello!

I recently upgraded from a Blackberry 9000 to a 9900. My old BB used OS 5 and the new one has OS 7 and I used BB Desktop Software to transfer my files and settings across. The old images ended up in the "Picture Library" with the same (correct) file name format i.e.

IMGXXXXX-YYYYMMDD-HHHH.jpg

However when I tried to take photos with my new phone the new image file formats are:

IMG-YYYYMMDD-XXXXX.jpg

X = the image number, sequential
    Y = year
    M = month
    D = day

This means I've lost the timestamp information on images taken on my new BB. Is there some setting I need to change because I can't see one in the Options menu whilst inside "Camera" ?! I thought all my BB settings were supposed to be imported across from the old phone ?

Please help!
    11-20-12 05:46 PM
    The time isn't part of the file name anymore. (And there's no setting to change it.) But the timestamp is still part of the file's properties. Just look there.
    11-20-12 06:18 PM
    When I copied the old image files over using BB Desktop Software all the file properties became "Created" and "Modified" on the date / time the transfer was made. That's okay because those files had the time stamp in the file name.

However if I upgrade again in the future, or I need to perform a restore from backup, all the timestamps in the file properties for photos taken on this new BB will be gone ?! That would be a disaster...
    11-20-12 06:34 PM
    Why would you copy the old image files using the BlackBerry Desktop Software?

If they are on the Media Card (which is the preferred location), just move the card over.
    11-20-12 08:38 PM
    I'm using BB Desktop Software primarily for the "Backup" feature to generate .bbb files every few days to give me a record of what's on my BB at a certain point in time. If I instructed the BB Desktop Software to backup the Media Card as well I'd lose the timestamp when I tried to restore from the .bbb - for example if I lost my phone.

I tried manually backing up images from the Media Card or device memory to my computer, but as soon as I copy the image files to my computer the "Created" timestamp becomes the date of the transfer ! Backups aside, at some point I'll need to send the image files to someone and the timestamp will be lost. The time is critical to my line of work :/

I'm sure someone must've encountered this problem before...
    11-20-12 09:19 PM
    Update:

I looked at the EXIF data using Adobe Photoshop CS5 and it shows the correct timestamp is still stored on the image file even after copying the image to another location. That's a relief, but I can't see this EXIF data on BB OS 7. Any .bbb backup I restore to a replacement BB (in the event I lose my phone) will be a nightmare to manage...

I guess the question now is: does anyone know an automated way to transfer EXIF timestamp to the image filename, or even better an app that allows BB to read EXIF data ?
    11-20-12 09:39 PM