I have noticed that the browser uses a lot of memory if I do not pull my battery everyday. It will start out at around 5mb and them jump to 85mb in a day or two. Is this a memory leak? How do I stop it? Perhaps if I use Opera mini, would that stop it?

Thanks for helping out a newb.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-27-11 11:57 AM
    I have noticed that the browser uses a lot of memory if I do not pull my battery everyday. It will start out at around 5mb and them jump to 85mb in a day or two. Is this a memory leak? How do I stop it? Perhaps if I use Opera mini, would that stop it?

Thanks for helping out a newb.

Is it not that big of a deal? The most memory it has used was 185mb.

09-27-11 06:07 PM
    When in the browser press Menu/Options. It will give you choices to clear your browsers cache.

09-27-11 09:46 PM
    When in the browser press Menu/Options. It will give you choices to clear your browsers cache.

I do this regularly and it does not correct the issue.

Thanks for posting.
    09-27-11 10:44 PM
    I do this regularly and it does not correct the issue.

Thanks for posting.

You're not alone. Happens here as well

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-28-11 10:47 PM
    Yup, have to reboot daily. Or, if you're lucky, it will crash and clear all that memory.
    09-28-11 10:52 PM
    AHas anybody found a fix for this? I am running .362 if that matters.

09-29-11 02:29 PM
    I don't have this issue on my 9900. My last restart was just over 2 days ago and my memory is down 0.7 mbs.
    09-29-11 02:34 PM
    I don't have this issue on my 9900. My last restart was just over 2 days ago and my memory is down 0.7 mbs.
    Do you open many tabs or mostly read one page at a time?

09-29-11 03:57 PM

Once in a while I'll have a couple of pages open, but every time I am done browsing I close the browser. When I check its memory usage its still using lots of memory.

10-01-11 11:49 AM
    I have been having the same issue with the 9860. First I thought some background apps were sucking up the BB7 memory through the browser, I removed them and it only helped a little bit. Sure enough the Browser memory is up over 122MB after a memory clean it did nothing! :@

This literally cripples the blackberry making the back button unusable, multi-tasking impossible and eventually the phone will just crash and reboot are the imminent battery pull has to be done.
    10-04-11 08:57 PM
    I have been having the same issue with the 9860. First I thought some background apps were sucking up the BB7 memory through the browser, I removed them and it only helped a little bit. Sure enough the Browser memory is up over 122MB after a memory clean it did nothing! :@

This literally cripples the blackberry making the back button unusable, multi-tasking impossible and eventually the phone will just crash and reboot are the imminent battery pull has to be done.

I know it sucks. I haven't had my phone crash or freeze, so I guess I shouldn't trip. Perhaps I will not do a batter pull for a while and see what happens.

10-04-11 10:36 PM

I rarely have more than three tabs open at any given time. I do enjoy surfing on this phone. I'll try to let it go for several days without a reboot to see what happens. I usually end up restarting for apps or some other reason after 2 or 3 days.

10-04-11 10:41 PM
    Has anybody found anything out about this?

I even wiped my phone and installed .362 again using app loader.

When I pull the battery the browser memory is around 5mb as soon as I open the browser is shoots up to 65 and I don't even open any web pages, I close the browser and the memory never is given back, it actually grows. It seems like you have to do daily battery pulls to keep all the available memory.

10-08-11 10:01 AM
    I found out some more info about this. If javascript is turned off less memory is used by the browser and also the battery life is better. Also if you do not use the browser for the day vs just visiting a couple web pages with java on there is a noticeable difference in battery life. If you turn off java and visit a couple of pages vs not using the browser for the day, there is a less noticeable difference in battery life.

I think RIM needs to come up with an os where all the memory used by browser is returned to the phone when the browser is closed because it is not.

kbz1960 likes this.
    10-10-11 11:41 AM
    Why would RIM make an OS where a core app will not return its memory once closed properly?

10-14-11 07:44 AM
    Not to sound unuderstanding but I've had my 9930 for 4 weeks now and have never pulled the battery to restart. Wish you were not having these problems.
    10-14-11 08:01 AM
    Not to sound unuderstanding but I've had my 9930 for 4 weeks now and have never pulled the battery to restart. Wish you were not having these problems.

I'm not really having a problem or having crashing problems. I guess I'm just a little OCD about having as much free memory as I can.

10-14-11 12:51 PM
    Has any body found a solution for this?

I have also tried several memory freer apps, but the browsers memory never returns. I could have 90mb tied up in the browser any time. Some times if I have a day of heavy usage I will start to see the little thinking clock bc the memory is running low. Would be nice to get the browsers memory free.

Rebooting is the only way I have found to get it back.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold® 9930 using Tapatalk
    11-25-11 11:33 PM
    Yup, lots of reviews said that the OS7 web browser is a "major" improvement to previous OSes
    But I'm sorry I tend not to agree with it.
    Yes it does "improve" slightly, but still uncomparable to iPhone or android devices.
    The "improvement" I notice is that when I open the crackberry mobile site.
    I usually open a lot of new tabs. In my 9780 with os 6 the web browser or the phone usually crashed when I opened about 5 new tabs.
    In my 9900 with os 7 , it crashes when I open about 10-15 tabs
    Mind you, this is a mobile site.
    If it was a full site, beyond 5 tabs, the browser and the phone already laggs as ****
    And it may crash or reboot by itself.

By the way about the battery pull question, I finally have a perfect solutions.
    Since the battery in this phone is sucks big time.
    I decided to purchase the spare battery and desktop charger bundle.
    So now , everyday, somewhere in the middle of the day, I always do a "battery pull" when I changed my battery

11-26-11 01:04 AM
    Yup, lots of reviews said that the OS7 web browser is a "major" improvement to previous OSes

But I'm sorry I tend not to agree with it.

Yes it does "improve" slightly, but still uncomparable to iPhone or android devices.

The "improvement" I notice is that when I open the crackberry mobile site.

I usually open a lot of new tabs. In my 9780 with os 6 the web browser or the phone usually crashed when I opened about 5 new tabs.

In my 9900 with os 7 , it crashes when I open about 10-15 tabs

Mind you, this is a mobile site.

If it was a full site, beyond 5 tabs, the browser and the phone already laggs as ****

And it may crash or reboot by itself.

By the way about the battery pull question, I finally have a perfect solutions.

Since the battery in this phone is sucks big time.

I decided to purchase the spare battery and desktop charger bundle.

So now , everyday, somewhere in the middle of the day, I always do a "battery pull" when I changed my battery

Have you ever used the native browser? Its a huge step up. Its a joy to browse on this device. If you know all the keyboard shortcuts, set the options right and use auto text zoom, then its a great browser.

Its just the memory thing that bugs me.

11-26-11 10:48 AM
    I always use the native browser, I don't use 3rd party browser.
    Seriouslly what have change since os 6 ?
    Can't really find any difference in the browser.

11-26-11 11:31 AM
    I always use the native browser, I don't use 3rd party browser.
    Seriouslly what have change since os 6 ?
    Can't really find any difference in the browser.

Just a lot faster but not visual changes but who wants it faster? thats stupid -.- xDDD
    11-26-11 12:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD