OMFG!!!!! I just got a new Bold and I removed the SD Card partially but the Battery was blocking the SD Card and it snapped and half of the card is stuck within it. How do I get it out?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    lavieenrose318 and henrykarl like this.
    09-02-11 07:15 PM
    OMFG!!!!! I just got a new Bold and I removed the SD Card partially but the Battery was blocking the SD Card and it snapped and half of the card is stuck within it. How do I get it out?

Sorry to hear that. Do you think some delicate tweezers might work? Worked for me when mine got stuck in my laptop, not sure if they would fit in the BB though

09-02-11 09:32 PM
    DO not put anything else inside the slot, it will only make things worse. Instead take the phone and the battery out and slam the phone against your palm or a bed. this will eventually get the memory card loose but before u start slamming, tap the phone gently against a hard surface to make the chip loose. This is a long process but must be done to avoid any damage. Good luck.
    09-02-11 09:41 PM
    Didn't you read CrackBerry Kevin's post about this young grasshopper?! :/
    09-02-11 10:13 PM
    Before attempting to remove it yourself, consider taking it to a repair store.
    If you can reach the broken end of the card, you may be able to carefully and gently wiggle it free. If the card is recessed and you can't reach it by hand, a pair of small tweezers used for electronics may work. Good luck.
    09-02-11 10:32 PM
    This is one of many many issues with bold 99xx I think you should take the phone to your service provider. They may even issue a new phone.

09-02-11 11:44 PM
    This is one of many many issues with bold 99xx I think you should take the phone to your service provider. They may even issue a new phone.

. I'm pretty sure the carrier would not give them a new one, this isn't a manufacter issue, a human mistake issue. Either take it to the carriers repair center or if within the 14-30 day return period...but if it were me, I'd just take it up to the carriers repair center...I'm sure they can remove the broken micro SD card quickly. Others be warned: DO NOT try putting the micro SD card in with the battery still in place, REMOVE the battery...then everything's pretty simple

henrykarl likes this.
    09-03-11 01:14 AM
    It was posted all over the place not to remove the SD card with the battery on.

Any human with an IQ level above 80 would know that you can't take the SD card out with the battery obstructing it.

Carriers wont help him as this is a pure human mistake.

Good luck buddy, try to be smarter next time and no need for the OMFG OMFG

Just makes you look ********
    You are very ignorant and quite "********" yourself. Considering you can take out the SD card out of the former bolds while the battery remained in, it does seem logical to do the same. Two, the SD card broke when I removed battery. Thanks everyone for your help. I am taking the phone to Rogers today. Thanks BoldExtreme.. For nothing.

09-03-11 10:09 AM
    I find it absurd that adults (?) will lower themselves to name calling because someone has asked for help. BlakBairy, my first 9930 was giving me messages that no memory card was inserted while I had an 8 gb SanDisk in the phone. I pulled the battery and removed the card. I reinserted the card and battery. Everything was ok for awhile and then I got the message again. Again I pulled the battery then the card and did the whole procedure again. On the third cycle of this the sd card must have been loose or something....idk what exactly, because shen I pulled the battery (yes, I pulled the battery first!) It got stuck on the sd card and snapped it. I tried eveything to get the small piece out to no avail. I took it to the Verizon store and they tried with no success. They replaced the phone. I am beginning to think that there may be a problem with memory cards in some of these phones. We are not the only ones who have had this happen. My new phone is fine, and I have not had any trouble with my new memory card (re loaded it from my back up). Good luck with your replacement. Since these are supposed to be "help" forums let's try to help each other, not resort to name calling.

09-03-11 03:52 PM
    hi guys, as per the video on youtube regardin this problem at

I've posted my solution on youtube (in a comment), but i think i should post it here too

cheers!

FIXED!!!

i'm assuming you have the bottom broken piece of the micro sd.

1. buy fast drying super glue

2. clean the broken face of the micro sd card

3. dab a tiny tiny bit of glue on the broken edge only

4. lay the glued piece on cardboard and slide it facing up and down first. this removes any excess glue sticking out the sides (VERY BAD)

5. slide gluded edge in flushing stuck piece inside

6. wait 10 seconds.. and remove

REMOVE BATT B4 DOING THIS FIX. LOL!!!!!!

so happy now!
    lavieenrose318 likes this.
    10-15-11 02:01 AM
    Just use another SDcard and press it, turn it over, i assuming it will be coming out.
    10-15-11 03:03 AM
    Huh??? What exactly are you trying to tell us?
    10-15-11 08:21 AM
    Ok so I had this happen right after I got my 9900 and was stuck between a rock and hard place because I couldn't get the battery out because the SD was in the way after I tried to remove it and it was wedged in there so I couldn't get the SD back in the slot...

So what I did was took a small plastic tool I had from changing the case of my 9700 a while back and applied gentle pressure to the SD card and got it to go back into the slot then removed the battery and swapped SDs. This is a design miss though with RIM...

The key IMO is don't panic, take your time and go slow with it and you can usually work through it...

PG
    10-15-11 10:23 AM
    You are very ignorant and quite "********" yourself. Considering you can take out the SD card out of the former bolds while the battery remained in, it does seem logical to do the same. Two, the SD card broke when I removed battery. Thanks everyone for your help. I am taking the phone to Rogers today. Thanks BoldExtreme.. For nothing.

Hmm. Really? From BlackBerry's "Start Here" document for the 9900/9930, step 2 (available here):

The media card is optional. If a media card was
    included, it might already be inserted.
    Remove the battery before you insert or remove the
    media card.
    Who's ignorant?
    10-15-11 10:47 AM
    Man, some of you guys really make it hard to post. I like reading posts on things I think someone should already know about, and sometimes I read a post that SHOULD be something I know and am glad someone ELSE posted it. When I got my first bold I messed up the battery door becuase I was trying to take it off like a Curve, and I found a crackberry video- ohhhhhh DUH!

There's no crying in Crackberry. (I did know about the card issue, though hahaha).

I hope you get that card out, that really sucks. I actually said "Oh NO!!" when I saw your post. My deepest sympathies through your time of need.
    10-15-11 11:18 AM
    OMG, this Juuuust happened to me.

Damnit this sux so bad, I've had this sd card for years now... have so many pics and videos on it. Yea, I've backed up my bb, but that stuff doesnt backup so I guess I took it all for granted... worst of all, I just got a new puppy and have the cutest pics of him on it and now those are gone!!!!!

This new blackberry is hands down THE worst, it has soooo many issues and was released way too soon.

We should get free complimentary memory card recovery services for this.
    Last edited by lavieenrose318; 01-03-12 at 12:47 PM.
    01-03-12 11:05 AM
    Dear posters.
    Don't be mean.
    It's mean.
    However, i must say I am sorry for you.
    It does suck that RIM didn't make it hotswappable. That would have been nice and expected from a high end device such as this.

Keep in mind that even after you get your card out, You will NOT be able to save the data on the card, so I would make it a point to replace it soon.
    01-03-12 11:17 AM
    The fact that CB Kevin made the same mistake makes me think its not that hard to make this mistake, however I think a little common sense is in order. As with any electronic device, if it doesn't move easily, you probably aren't doing it right. But this is NOT a rim issue. Instructions are clear.

Sent from my Big Red BlackBerry 9930
    01-03-12 11:58 AM
    thanks, that actually did work!

so glad i randomly happened to have some loctite super glue precision laying around.

i actually could only find the cement glue at first, but then i had flashbacks of me buying the cement glue and super glue for some reason i don't remember...

anyhow... thanks!!!!!!!!! you have partially made my day, now i just want to see if someway somehow my memories can be recovered from this card. *fingers crossed*
    01-03-12 12:00 PM
    Go get yourself a cheapie card reader and try that. If it gets stuck again, then break open the reader and try a recovery service. Card readers are really cheap, so if it doesn't work you'll only be out a couple bucks. You may even have a few microsd card adapters laying around if you're like me. Try one of those perhaps.

01-03-12 12:02 PM
    oh and btw, when my micro SD card broke i was NOT trying to take it out in anyway shape or form. I was simply trying to get the battery out, to reboot b/c my camera went frozen once again. I know to take the battery out before trying to get the sd card out.

My battery was stuck and I was trying to dislodge it, I didn't think my sd card would be effected. What I had not realized was that my memory card had gotten a little bit loose as I was trying to get the battery out... and when I finally used a credit card at the bottom of the battery to get it out, it clearly placed pressure on the card and broke it dead in half. (the same credit card that had to be used to open the backing in the first place)

This was my dream blackberry-- touchscreen and buttons/scroll pad. I mean, loooved it... best of both worlds!!! Bought one for my mom, my sis, and myself a few months back ( at like, what? $650 a pop + tax). But geez louise we ALL (mom, sister, and I) have had so many problems with the Blackberry 9900: screen freezing (having to constantly take battery in and out in and out), sounding distant when we're on the phone with people (speaker malfunctions), visual voicemail/voicemail doesn't work (i get "129" error texts instead), my camera has gone black a couple of times, once for a whole week. Speaking of the camera, its not as good as my last bb camera (9700). And the phone isn't resilient at all, my sister dropped the phone from a SMALL distance-- I'd say 24-36 inches onto the floot (wood) and the screen broke.

And WORST of all--- the BATTERY life. This phone HAS to be charged e-v-e-r-y single day, like literally every 18-24hrs or it will die. I charge it at night. Full charge in the morning. By bed time it's yellow, and if I forget to charge it's dead in the morning. And that's with the wifi turned off... but usually its almost dead by mid evening-- 7ish or so.

And now that 2.5 years of memories and creativity (pictures, personal voice recordings of events/happenings/poems/songs, videos) is likely down the drain b/c of blackberry's flawed design.... Well, I may just sell this overpriced sucker and sadly enough get an iphone... which I DONT want to do b/c I want buttons and i have TOO many mac products as it stands (imac, macbook air, macbook pro, and itouch), and I like the diversity of having ablackberry phone and apple computer (its like creativity + business) . But this just blows my mind and makes me unbelievably sad.... why doesn't photos and recordings instantly sink w/o special settings like it does for iphone/itouches... *sadface* For example I lost my itouch a year ago, was pretty down about it, when I finally got a new one, and synced it to my computer ALL my photos were there PLUS ALL my videos and ALL My notes. It was THE most wonderful feeling. I can always replace music, but photos and writings can;t.

this might be a stretch, but does anybody somebody know if a broken in half micro sd card can be repaired? and data recovered? its 2012... maybe, possibly, there's a way? please let me know.

Last edited by lavieenrose318; 01-06-12 at 11:54 AM.
    01-03-12 12:28 PM
    Go get yourself a cheapie card reader and try that. If it gets stuck again, then break open the reader and try a recovery service. Card readers are really cheap, so if it doesn't work you'll only be out a couple bucks. You may even have a few microsd card adapters laying around if you're like me. Try one of those perhaps.

thanks, i do have a sd card reader, kingston one for every format... so i'll try that. good idea btw, I was gonna just start going ham on finding a recovery service.

So I'll maybe glue it a bit more securely, wait for about 24 hours then try it. i PRAY by some miracle it works, if not then I'll attempt a recovery service... if that doesn't work, then we'll know that technology isn't that advanced yet... and I'll then store the sd card somewhere safe and wait for the day we can retrieve information from broken sd cards.... if some genius is reading this, maybe you can be the person to create such thing, lol... you'd be a multi-millionaire easy
    01-03-12 12:36 PM
    I sympathize with your possible loss of all that data, but its just negligence to not have regular backup of your most important personal memories. For $60/year, I have full automatic backup of my pc and transfer sd card stuff every week, so I'll never lose personal data again.

Also keep in mind that Apple's iCloud only gives 5GB for free and it won't sync any file over 250MB. Any hd video recording on the iphone longer than about 2.5 minutes won't sync with iCloud.

01-03-12 12:41 PM
    I sympathize with your possible loss of all that data, but its just negligence to not have regular backup of your most important personal memories. For $60/year, I have full automatic backup of my pc and transfer sd card stuff every week, so I'll never lose personal data again.

Also keep in mind that Apple's iCloud only gives 5GB for free and it won't sync any file over 250MB. Any hd video recording on the iphone longer than about 2.5 minutes won't sync with iCloud.

true, i definitely should have already backed it up (kicking myself as we speak, lol), which I KEPT saying I was going to do, but life got the best of me.

I also have an automatic backup service, I use BackBlaze. I started that after 2 BIG harddrive failures (both seagate)-- now that was a true bummer, my entire undergrad life was on it plus so many files and documents. If it wasn't for facebook I would have probably been depressed for a year about that (but thankfully I was that person that always had the camera at all the parties and events and so everyone always begged me to post pics asap, which I did... and even though I very RARELY use facebook I have about 60 albums on there-- thank you facebook! lol)

But anyway, I digress... these days products are supposed to be a bit more intuitive and automatically do things we may forget to do (or they should atleast)... which my itouch did. Blackberry does save contacts and your address book quite thoroughly, but I'd take my photos and notes over my contacts any day of the week (and I have celebrities/ vps/ ceos of major companies in my address book). As far as apple not storing HD videos from the iphone is fine, since I do my most important videos on my slr.

Nevertheless I'll keep the forum posted on what works or doesn't work, as far as restoring the micro sd card that broke from the blackberry 9900, so that I can help someone else in the future. But once again sgxbb <-- you're a life saver. So glad this forum exists!
    01-03-12 01:06 PM

Funny that what happened to me on the first day I got mine few weeks ago. I took it to a pro shop and watched the tech disassemble the phone and take out the other half. It cost me $12.
    I'd highly recommend that you do not do it yourself. There are couple of special tools he used and the process require knowledge too about the phone components.
    01-03-12 02:34 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD