CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    695 Global Posts
    PIN
    27654C86
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Broke the sim card reader

Hello

My 9900 has been sitting in its box for over a month now since I got a new phone, but today I took it out because I wanted to do something on it. I cut my sim card from regular to micro-SIM, and I left the sim adapter inside the phone. So when I took it out today, the adapter was inside, and as I was removing it in order to insert another regular sim card I have, it wasn't coming out because it seemed as if it was stuck to something. I tried forcing it a little bit and I ended up breaking one of the four pins that read the sim card, you know the four golden ones.

I didn't actually break it, but it's sort of like bent and not sitting correctly like the three others. I tried making it sit straight like the rest of them but it's still not reading the sim card and says "Insert SIM Card".

Broke the sim card reader-imag0126.jpg

I believe it is pretty clear in the picture what I am talking about.

I am assuming I'll need a new sim card reader/house, so is it easy to replace? I still have warranty till 2013, should I just give it to the BB service center and pay for its repair over there or is it going to be too over priced? I am assuming if they fix it, then the general warranty stays in tact?

Thanks guys
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    468 Global Posts

Default Broke the sim card reader

I did the same thing on the 9800 I used to have. I think it cost around $75 to fix. I never use the adapter anymore, just slide the smaller sim into place. Friction hole it in place, at least it does on my 9900 and did on the 9800.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    729 Global Posts

I tried an adapter a few months ago and damaged the SIM tray. The tray only costs about $5 on eBay so if you have the skill it isn't expensive to repair but I gave it out and had it repaired here in Miami for $45. You don't really need the holder, just align the micro SIM and it will work. That is how I have it right now on my 9900, just add a bit of tape over it to keep it secure.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    695 Global Posts
    PIN
    27654C86
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Thank you for your replies.

Ouch, $75 is a lot of money but I guess if it'll keep my warranty intact then I should just go for it in case I decide to sell the phone soon, and I guess I am going to do that since I am already liking my other one.

@DannyAves Yeah, I've seen the trays on eBay and Amazon but I read on how to install it and it seems pretty difficult, especially since it'll require some soldering as it is sort of glued to the motherboard rather than held by a screw or whatever. I am also not confident in local repair shops as from previous experiences, they seem to screw up more than fix, and I also fear that they would replace some genuine internal parts with aftermarket ones and of course I'll not know since I won't be watching them repair it.

I'll visit the BB service center on Tuesday and see how much it'll cost me to get it fixed. I am not in a hurry since the warranty still expires in May 2013 and I am not actually using the device at the moment.

Thanks again for your advice, I appreciate it.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    695 Global Posts
    PIN
    27654C86
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

I found this video to be very interesting:

I might as well see if there's anyone who can fix it that way rather than removing the whole thing and gluing it to the board.