The classic is a good upgrade, but there are thing better and faster on OS7 so I'm using the 9900 on WiFi as a 2nd device. Still nothing faster than the Bold/9900.

Does anybody know if there is a Free Talk app? This would allow messaging.

Holster the Classic and pocket the Bold?

Posted via CB10
    rayporsche likes this.
    12-29-14 08:50 AM
    The classic is a good upgrade, but there are thing better and faster on OS7 so I'm using the 9900 on WiFi as a 2nd device. Still nothing faster than the Bold/9900.

Does anybody know if there is a Free Talk app? This would allow messaging.

Holster the Classic and pocket the Bold?

Posted via CB10
    WhatsApp? Viber?
    Mr4aces likes this.
    12-29-14 08:52 AM
    WhatsApp? Viber?
    Thanks I'll check it out

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 09:16 AM
    Also LogicMail for e-mail downloading it via Opera Mini browser of course: LogicMail for BlackBerry

Google Voice via browser to send texts and verify calls/messages to the number.
    12-29-14 09:51 AM
    Also LogicMail for e-mail downloading it via Opera Mini browser of course: LogicMail for BlackBerry

Google Voice via browser to send texts and verify calls/messages to the number.
    Looks like this will work as it does not require a phone number. I'll check it out to night and let you know

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 12:06 PM
    WhatsApp? Viber?
    Will not work because they require a phone number.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 12:07 PM
    BBM ?

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 12:08 PM
    Let me check tonight. Problem is not everybody wants to use BBm

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 01:18 PM
    Hi Mr4aces, I'm not sure that this is what your asking but this might be your answer. If you are on Tmobile with a Simple Plan, you can get a data plan sim card for only $10 more a month. This way you could put your old sim back in the 9900 and have its full functionality and put the data sim card in the Classic for the great browser and other things that require data only. This plan was meant for tablets, but it will work in a phone too. I told several friends and they are doing it this way. I'm almost tempted to do this myself. Of course, the only caveat is you need to be on Tmobile. I've been with them for years and have been happy. I just BlackBerry and Tmobile would get along so us Classic users can wifi calling. Another reason why I like my 9900 better, but don't get me started. So I'll stop before I lose it completely. Hope this helps.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 12:14 AM
    Hi Mr4aces, I'm not sure that this is what your asking but this might be your answer. If you are on Tmobile with a Simple Plan, you can get a data plan sim card for only $10 more a month. This way you could put your old sim back in the 9900 and have its full functionality and put the data sim card in the Classic for the great browser and other things that require data only. This plan was meant for tablets, but it will work in a phone too. I told several friends and they are doing it this way. I'm almost tempted to do this myself. Of course, the only caveat is you need to be on Tmobile. I've been with them for years and have been happy. I just BlackBerry and Tmobile would get along so us Classic users can wifi calling. Another reason why I like my 9900 better, but don't get me started. So I'll stop before I lose it completely. Hope this helps.

Posted via CB10
    I'm with ATT but I'll call them. Great idea!
    Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 12:41 AM
    I'm with ATT but I'll call them. Great idea!
    Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    If you dont want to use BBM or your phone number, there is Kik, WeChat, Telegram, Line.
    12-30-14 09:26 AM
    thanks these all require a phone line

How do you get a sms number assigned to your phone?
    12-30-14 12:03 PM
    thanks these all require a phone line

How do you get a sms number assigned to your phone?
    Kik doesn't need phone number? Needs an account doesn't it.

What about LiveProfile? Has a pin like BBM.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    12-31-14 05:02 AM
    Kik doesn't need phone number? Needs an account doesn't it.

What about LiveProfile? Has a pin like BBM.
    No App for kik on BB world for OS7
    Thanks for trying.
    I will give the search one month them after on the Classic I will see if I can live without the 9900. I'm keepping the Classic,

BTW Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    12-31-14 01:55 PM
    You have to download kik straight from the kik website. If I recall correctly, BlackBerry sued kik for copying BBM too closely (or something like that), and kik is not on BB App World.
    01-08-15 10:25 PM
    I was wrong... soooooo wrong :P

kik appears to have removed the BlackBerry apps from their site. You used to be able to get them there.
    01-08-15 10:31 PM
    Bought a SIM card adapter. I assume I can get a duplicate SIM card of my Classic and use the 9900 as a secondary phone as long as I only have one on at a time? Or does ATT know by the device name? I also noticed on the Classic it allow you to change the device name, but on the 9900 is is fixed. Does having two different types of devices OS7 an BB10 cause problems with Desk Top and Links with the same device name? I set up two different BlackBerry ID's.

Bought a Classic using the 9900 as a 2nd device. Anybody know if there is a Free Talk app that will -img_20150205_194143.jpg
    02-05-15 10:08 PM
    I'm in Canada and swap my SIM back and forth between my 9900 and Q10 with no trouble. I don't know if AT&T is more strict with device IDs than our carriers in Canada. Of course, if you can switch, you won't have BIS on the 9900 unless your AT&T account is still set up with it, and I doubt that. You can use LogicMail and Opera Mini Browser to get by on a regular data plan though.

I think -- but I'm not sure -- that cloning a SIM is probably illegal. I wouldn't do it. But, if you do it -- make sure to follow your own advice and do not turn the devices on at the same time. I'm not sure what the result of turning them both on at the same time with identical SIMs would be, but I doubt it would be good!

Some of the carriers here will allow you to switch the SIM on your account through their web-based self-serve system. So you can have two different SIMs and just change which one is active. If I recall correctly, you have to use each one every 60 or 90 days, or the card expires permanently. I don't know if AT&T allows that.

Be careful with the SIM card adapter in your 9900. If the edges where the sim fits into the adapter are not flush, you can rip off the contacts in the SIM card slot. Very few people have the soldering skills necessary to fix that.

When switching the micro-SIM from the Q10 to the Bold 9900, I just used the adapter once, to get a visual on where the card should be. Now I don't use the adapter. I just position it in the slot on the 9900. It's a tight enough fit that the card doesn't move. You can probably do the same thing with the nano-SIM from the Classic.
    02-08-15 12:52 PM
    I'm in Canada and swap my SIM back and forth between my 9900 and Q10 with no trouble. I don't know if AT&T is more strict with device IDs than our carriers in Canada. Of course, if you can switch, you won't have BIS on the 9900 unless your AT&T account is still set up with it, and I doubt that. You can use LogicMail and Opera Mini Browser to get by on a regular data plan though.

I think -- but I'm not sure -- that cloning a SIM is probably illegal. I wouldn't do it. But, if you do it -- make sure to follow your own advice and do not turn the devices on at the same time. I'm not sure what the result of turning them both on at the same time with identical SIMs would be, but I doubt it would be good!

Some of the carriers here will allow you to switch the SIM on your account through their web-based self-serve system. So you can have two different SIMs and just change which one is active. If I recall correctly, you have to use each one every 60 or 90 days, or the card expires permanently. I don't know if AT&T allows that.

Be careful with the SIM card adapter in your 9900. If the edges where the sim fits into the adapter are not flush, you can rip off the contacts in the SIM card slot. Very few people have the soldering skills necessary to fix that.

When switching the micro-SIM from the Q10 to the Bold 9900, I just used the adapter once, to get a visual on where the card should be. Now I don't use the adapter. I just position it in the slot on the 9900. It's a tight enough fit that the card doesn't move. You can probably do the same thing with the nano-SIM from the Classic.
    Thank for your valued insight regarding BIS. You did not state whether you are using the same device ID on the 9900 and Q10. Of course I don't want to go into this half blind and lock up my phones(s).

So, if I understand correctly if I take the SIM card out of the Classic (Q20) and install it in the 9900 I will have phone and data service but NO email and MMS/SMS. I did a search for Logicmail on my phone but will wait till I'm home to review on my PC before I down load it.

Will Logicmail upload my mail via WiFi without phone service? What I'm saying is could I use the Q20's SIM to upload and setup Logicmail, then remove the SIM card and receive mail and MMS/SMS? I know without the SIM card there would be no phone service.

The reason for all this madness is being able to keep the Twitter picture files separate, as the mobile devices does not allow you to access folders with the FB and TW app but consolidates the pictures into one viewing file. It creates a problem when the files are over 300 when searching. I am able to use Twitter and FaceBook now via WiFi but it would be a big plus if I could receive emails on the 9900. Which would be nice if I need more than 10 email accounts.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-15 11:40 AM
    I currently have a Passport as main phone with data plan and talk and text, Samsung Alpha as second phone that shares data from main phone for 10$ per month, installed the Rogers One Number app on the Samsung phone so now when someone calls or texts, both phones ring and I can send texts and place calls from either device using my main phone number. It actually works quite well, but this may only help you if you are with Rogers in Canada.

Posted via CB10
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    02-09-15 11:47 AM
    I currently have a Passport as main phone with data plan and talk and text, Samsung Alpha as second phone that shares data from main phone for 10$ per month, installed the Rogers One Number app on the Samsung phone so now when someone calls or texts, both phones ring and I can send texts and place calls from either device using my main phone number. It actually works quite well, but this may only help you if you are with Rogers in Canada.

Posted via CB10
    ATT will charge me $40 for the same service
    Your lucky to have this for $10 I would gladly pay $10 but don't want to pay $480/year

Posted via CB10
    02-09-15 12:05 PM
    I am using the same BlackBerry ID on both devices. All of the fields are identical. I never really thought about that being a problem, and I just logged into BlackBerry World with both devices at the same time. It doesn't seem to be a problem. I can install apps on either one. I can't be sure that this would be the same in the U.S., but I can't imagine why it would be different either.

If you use the SIM in the Bold 9900, you will have the ability to call and use SMS, but not MMS. You can also enter your AT&T APN and use LogicMail or Opera Mini (but not the regular browser or email) over your cellular data connection. There are a number of other third party apps that will work with cellular data as well, once you've set the APN.

With respect to your other questions:

-You can download LogicMail via wifi without the SIM card -- or with the SIM card over cellular data once the APN is set.
    -You can use LogicMail via wifi without the SIM card -- or with the SIM card over cellular data once the APN is set.
    -You cannot get SMS without the SIM Card on any phone.
    -I know nothing about facebook or twitter, so others will have to help there.
    02-09-15 02:07 PM