I upgraded to OS7.1 .284 and notice my boot times to the home screen range from 6-7 minutes. That is way longer than when I was on the stock OS7 which use to be around 2 min or so.

What are your boot times? Do you get that hang right under the E on the load screen?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-20-12 08:15 PM
    Check for memory clean being enabled in security. Chances are it is.
    06-20-12 08:55 PM
    Is that suppose to help? It was on and so I unchecked it.

06-20-12 10:45 PM
    Nah, I just toss out advice for craps and giggles.

Of course it's supposed to help!
    Ben1232 and newshutr like this.
    06-20-12 10:55 PM
    First laugh of the day.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    06-21-12 05:13 AM
    I upgraded to OS7.1 .284 and notice my boot times to the home screen range from 6-7 minutes. That is way longer than when I was on the stock OS7 which use to be around 2 min or so.

What are your boot times? Do you get that hang right under the E on the load screen?

I use to get that booting pause at that point and have seen some others report they've had that too. For me I assume it was a dodgy app. I deleted some apps I didn't need or really use and it went.

Now, my bb reboots in 2 1/2 mins.
    06-21-12 05:19 AM
    I have my memory cleaning enabled and I don't have a long boot time. It boots in about 70-90 seconds. How would memory cleaning being disabled effect boot time? I can't disable mine, it is grayed out and has the small lock icon next to it.
    06-21-12 09:05 AM
    I have my memory cleaning enabled and I don't have a long boot time. It boots in about 70-90 seconds. How would memory cleaning being disabled effect boot time? I can't disable mine, it is grayed out and has the small lock icon next to it.
    That setting has always had an impact on boot times. Odd yours isn't.

It's gray because you have an IT policy. Some of the OS releases had it, even though those installing it aren't on BES.
    wolfee48 likes this.
    06-21-12 09:10 AM
    My boot time is now down to about 2 min.

wolfee48 likes this.
    06-21-12 09:13 AM
    After my last leaked OS upgrade (with a shrinked OS) my boot time to homescreen with reception dropped to 2min15sec.
    06-21-12 09:15 AM
    That setting has always had an impact on boot times. Odd yours isn't.

It's gray because you have an IT policy. Some of the OS releases had it, even though those installing it aren't on BES.
    Yeah, that's why I asking. Odd indeed. As for the IT policy, I upgraded to 7.1.0.402 back when it first leaked, but forgot to remove it when I downgraded. So that is where I picked it up. Just too lazy to get rid of it. I wonder if the amount of apps you have can affect the boot time. I notice after re-installing all my apps after a wipe, boot time takes a little bit longer the first reboot or two.
    06-21-12 09:21 AM
    It might also be grayed out if you have encryption turned on. I'm on Sprint, and I don't have an IT policy (that I know of), and mine is grayed out.
    wolfee48 and BigBadWulf like this.
    06-21-12 09:30 AM
    My boot time is now down to about 2 min.

Is that your final answer?

Yay you!
    06-21-12 09:30 AM
    Yeah noticed that too but didn't know about memory cleaning and how it affects boot time, also does having loads of songs and pics affect boot time like it does on a pc.
    06-21-12 09:32 AM
    It might also be grayed out if you have encryption turned on. I'm on Sprint, and I don't have an IT policy (that I know of), and mine is grayed out.
    Encryption is turned off. If you loaded .402 on your device, it enabled the IT policy unless you removed it.
    06-21-12 09:35 AM

Mine takes at least 5 mins,sometimes longer. It used to be much faster - a couple of minutes I think when I first got it and now I come to think of it the longer boot time may have started after the last OS update (I am on 7.1.0). I've barely any apps on it. It hangs for quite a while doing its thing. Needless to say I dread having to re-boot it and when I do I go off and do something else.
    06-21-12 09:48 AM
    Yeah, that's why I asking. Odd indeed. As for the IT policy, I upgraded to 7.1.0.402 back when it first leaked, but forgot to remove it when I downgraded. So that is where I picked it up. Just too lazy to get rid of it. I wonder if the amount of apps you have can affect the boot time. I notice after re-installing all my apps after a wipe, boot time takes a little bit longer the first reboot or two.
    There's certainly a difference as you load it up with apps, but what's another 30-60secs?

Yeah noticed that too but didn't know about memory cleaning and how it affects boot time, also does having loads of songs and pics affect boot time like it does on a pc.
    The SD and internal storage shouldn't affect boot time any. It will have a minor impact on initial use after boot, while the indexing happens. More stuff, more boot lag.

I can't confirm, but imagine the larger your databases are, ie address book, memos etc, the longer the boot.
    06-21-12 10:03 AM
    Boot time is roughly 3 minutes, if not a bit more.
    06-21-12 10:15 AM
    No, I'm not even on OS7. Do you have a password enabled? I wonder if that's a factor ...
    06-21-12 10:23 AM
    There's certainly a difference as you load it up with apps, but what's another 30-60secs?
    Yeah... I'm not not too concerned.

No, I'm not even on OS7. Do you have a password enabled? I wonder if that's a factor ...
    Password is enabled. I disabled it and it is the same. No worries though. Just trying to cram more BB knowledge.
    06-21-12 10:28 AM
    I think I enabled memory cleaning after reading a thread on CB about recovering leaked memory. My memory leak is so bad after upgrading that I was looking for easy fixes. Regardless, memory cleaning didn't help that much and with the extra time added to boot time, it just makes more sense to do a reboot every so often.

I really hope BB10 doesn't require a lot of reboots because based on my PB, you do occasionally have to reboot and after the 2.0 update, it takes even longer!

06-23-12 03:41 PM
    Mine boots in about 45 seconds, just clean your phone with memory cleaning and log, if so do a battery pull if you haven't from weeks!
    06-25-12 05:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD