Hi. Being from England, I have only just heard of the Motorola Droid Pro - which I think has been out in the States for a while. I've just read a very positive review online and see the phone is released in England next month, so I thought I would ask if anyone has any experience of the Droid Pro and if so, what they think of it?

A Qwerty, decent screen size and access to Android apps could mean the best of all world - although maybe not. How will the Bold Touch compare, do you think?

Many thanks, bbb
    06-25-11 10:04 AM
    The Bold Touch 9900 will have a superior (but smaller) display.....and inferior apps, but superior battery life and superior email experience.

The balance of the phone while using the keyboard will always belong to Blackberry, they simply get that right.

Android is awesome.....BlackBerry is solid.......tough choice, but it depends on what your expectations are.
    mssca likes this.
    06-25-11 10:35 AM
    Droid Pro, better OS, more options, you can customize the OS any way you want it. BBOS doesn't compare to ANdroid. Battery life yet to be seen since the 9900 is not in the market yet, but Droid Pro has very good battery life for an Android phone, so it will not be any worst than the BB if not better,
    BB has a very good keyboard but so does the Droid Pro. Droid Pro it will offer you OS updates down the road as the OS is maturing, while BB OS will give you the finger and forget about you when QNX phones are out, and price it will be cheaper than the 9900.

Droid Pro is a better buy and phone in my opinion.
    Last edited by evolutionPlaybook; 06-25-11 at 11:04 AM.
    D-March likes this.
    06-25-11 10:58 AM
    Droid Pro, better OS, more options, you can customize the OS any way you want it. BBOS doesn't compare to ANdroid. Battery life yet to be seen since the 9900 is not in the market yet, but Droid Pro has very good battery life for an Android phone, so it will not be any worst than the BB if not better,
    BB has a very good keyboard but so does the Droid Pro. Droid Pro it will offer you OS updates down the road as the OS is maturing, while BB OS will give you the finger and forget about you when QNX phones are out.

Hve you use the Droid Pro?
    06-25-11 11:04 AM
    I'm sure if you search on here you'll find a lot of threads about the droid pro. Like anything some like it some don't. As far as comparing it the bold touch since no one has one it would be hard to compare but you can find some testers post on that one as well.
    06-25-11 11:15 AM
    I will give you a less biased comparison.

If you know what Android is about, you know what they are about. Besides screen size, this Pro is basically a true and true android.

If you love Blackberry, and have loved the 9000, then there is no reason not to get this phone. Flagship blackberry, best there will be for a while, with flagship features; amazing keyboard, battery life, email use. And soon to get android apps. So if you wanted android apps but wanted to sacrifice a PHONE (battery life, amazing keyboard, excellent push email) then there is no reason to. The 9900 should take care of all your needs.

Nothing against the Droid pro, most phones out now...just don't suck anymore they are all relatively good. It is now about, tailor fitting that phone to suit you. I know a girl who would not get the iphone ever simply because she would have to take off her fake nails.
    06-25-11 11:23 AM
    I will give you a less biased comparison.

If you know what Android is about, you know what they are about. Besides screen size, this Pro is basically a true and true android.

If you love Blackberry, and have loved the 9000, then there is no reason not to get this phone. Flagship blackberry, best there will be for a while, with flagship features; amazing keyboard, battery life, email use. And soon to get android apps. So if you wanted android apps but wanted to sacrifice a PHONE (battery life, amazing keyboard, excellent push email) then there is no reason to. The 9900 should take care of all your needs.

Nothing against the Droid pro, most phones out now...just don't suck anymore they are all relatively good. It is now about, tailor fitting that phone to suit you. I know a girl who would not get the iphone ever simply because she would have to take off her fake nails.
    I did not know that OS7 was going to be capable of using android apps. Are you sure about that?
    06-25-11 11:25 AM
    I've had a Droid Pro since it launched, and it's an ok phone.

The keypad is great, but too low down with no bottom lip, which makes the phone top-heavy when typing. The screen resolution is average, but very poor for an Android device, however this does help slightly with battery life. The OS is great, but even with a 1Ghz processor it still feels slow compared to my 9780. Mine came jammed full of useless VZW apps and ran like a dog when I got it, but after a couple of updates, rooting, and removal of all the bloatware, it's runs fine now. The apps are of course plentiful, and in another league compared to BB. Email is hit and miss on Android, but more often miss. BB is still king when it comes to email. Battery life is DIRE with the stock battery! The extended battery and cover are an absolute MUST! Reception is also a joke, Motorola just can't build a decent GSM radio, so battery life takes an extra battering there too.

The Droid Pro was my first Android phone, and I was hoping it would be my only phone... but it wasn't enough to draw me away from my 9780, and it certainly won't be enough to stop me getting a 9900

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-11 11:36 AM
    I did not know that OS7 was going to be capable of using android apps. Are you sure about that?
    When they go to QNX - they will be able to incorporate compatability - as they will with the playbook - but out of the box - no - you will not be able to run android apps
    06-25-11 11:50 AM
    I had the Droid Pro. I am a Motorola fan and was excited to get the device. Let me tell you, it does NOT compare to BB's qwerty keyboard, battery life, RF and call quality. The battery cover is very slippery and you can easily drop the Droid Pro. Because the screen is big, the keyboard is situated lower. I found it awkward to type in fear that the phone would slip out of my hands. The keyboard is much harder to press than any BB. My hand actually started to hurt after an hour of using the keyboard. The Droid Pro I had rebooted many times. I have read others had this issue. It was laggy. An OS update probably fixed these issues by now. I bought the Droid Pro when it first came out. The battery life was horrific. Did not last me a day. I was very disappointed. RF is good, call quality not as good as what a Motorola should be. Motorola is known for their superior RF and call quality. I can tell you, they failed with the Droid Pro. I have made many many test call comparisons with the Droid Pro vs my 9700 and Torch and all callers said the 9700 and Torch was louder and clearer. That was the deciding factor for me because calls are very important for me. I have owned 4 Android devices and the Droid Pro was probably one of the worse ones. If anyone knows me from Hofo, they know I love Motorola. I wouldn't trash a device if I didn't feel that strongly about it.

Even though the 9900 isn't out yet, I have the 9000 and I love the form factor. I can only guess that the 9900 will be similar or even better than the 9000.
    D-March and bigbamboo like this.
    06-25-11 12:18 PM
    but Droid Pro has very good battery life for an Android phone, so it will not be any worst than the BB if not better,

OK this statement makes you sound like you've never used the droid pro for an extended amount of time. The Droid Pro has a HORRIBLE Battery life. No where near any Bold or Curve. I had the Pro for almost 3 months and i got rid of it b.c the battery life sucked. It's pretty well known over on the android forum that the battery life sucks on the pro.
    06-25-11 12:55 PM
    I, too, have had the Droid Pro for Verizon and moved on. As others have stated, the battery life is TERRIBLE with the stock battery. Even after buying the extended battery, I had days where it struggled to make it though the day on a single charge. I also agree that the phone was very slippery, making it difficult to get a good grip on it. I didn't have any problems with the keyboard and could actually type very quickly with it. Personally, I wouldn't buy the Droid Pro as it's already a year old and it's unlikely that Motorola has done all that much to remedy its shortcomings.
    06-25-11 01:00 PM
    There appears to be an updated version called the XPRT (which has a rubber back, amongst other new features) although I have no idea if that will be released here: Motorola XPRT Review - Phone Arena
    06-25-11 01:07 PM
    BB has a very good keyboard but so does the Droid Pro...... Droid Pro is a better buy and phone in my opinion.
    First of all... I hold a Droid Pro when I was in US and try to type on it and guess what? I think the keyboard is not for me. I wound it is like holding an ice cream stick... Little bit top heavy.

Also, as I said many times before... which phone you like is a personal opinion rather than fact.

All the best!
    06-25-11 02:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD