I haven's seen any active threads on this issue recently so I thought I would ask; For those of us that still use the BOLD 9900 and prefer it over OS10 how much longer do you think the phone will be usable? I was thinking of purchasing one or two extra to have in case they become difficult to find. I was wondering if its possible they will become unusable on the networks? My understanding is they operate on BIS. Is it possible the carriers may stop supporting BIS? And if they do how would we synch our mail? Thanks
    07-31-15 08:20 AM
    In China, the BIS has been stopped already. So it may happen someday in your country. Here without BIS, we use app like smartmail to sync emails. And it's good and fast enough even though not that fast as BIS.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-15 09:49 AM
    Thanks.

So if BIS goes away our e-mail would go from a push-service to a pull-service? Is that the same as what OS 10 is all about? I am not too well versed in this stuff and just starting to educate myself on it.
    07-31-15 10:32 AM
    Yeah, I think so. About the BB10's method I am not so sure whether it's push or pull.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-15 11:30 PM
    Yeah, I think so. About the BB10's method I am not so sure whether it's push or pull.

Posted via CB10
    There is not one answer.
    In OS10 it depends on what mail protocol is being used in the account setup. E.g. POP is pull but active-sync can be either pull or push

Posted via CB10
    08-01-15 07:57 AM
    There is a pretty high chance BIS will end soon. I think I'd be willing to bet on it. I'm a huge 9900 person however as soon as BlackBerry pulls the plug on BIS your phone will be useless. I doubt blackberry will release an update to allow us to use out BIS enabled phones.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-15 01:14 PM
    Here is a way to get emails without the use of BIS for OS7 (maybe 6)

http://forums.crackberry.com/tips-ho...ut-bis-996682/
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    08-04-15 01:46 PM
    Here is a way to get emails without the use of BIS for OS7 (maybe 6)

http://forums.crackberry.com/tips-ho...ut-bis-996682/
    I'd add to this that LogicMail (mentioned in the thread linked above) supports IMAP IDLE, which permits the instantaneous delivery of emails, without the need for polling.
    rayporsche and fkornre like this.
    08-04-15 08:34 PM
    There is a pretty high chance BIS will end soon. I think I'd be willing to bet on it.
    Depends what you mean by 'soon'; this year, next year ...? Personally, I doubt that John Chen will want to give up on the substantial BIS income that is still being generated from millions of legacy BlackBerry users. If they turn off BIS now, the likelihood is that (although some will move to BB10) many users will migrate to alternative platforms. Yes it will force legacy users to change, but better be certain of the direction that people will go before pulling the plug on BIS. I don't think that BlackBerry is looking for any further lost income. BlackBerry needs to focus on getting BB10 (or whatever other OS they might be about to deploy) to a state that the majority of legacy users see substantial benefits in upgrading - it's clear from the CB forums that at present many legacy users don't yet see those benefits.
    Last edited by mushroom_daddy; 08-05-15 at 09:22 AM.
    terminatorx likes this.
    08-05-15 05:34 AM
    Depends what you mean by soon; this year, next year? Personally, I doubt that John Chen will want to give up on the substantial BIS income that is still being generated from millions of legacy BlackBerry users. If they turn off BIS now, the likelihood is that (although some will move to BB10) many users will migrate to alternative platforms. Yes it will force legacy users to change, but better be certain of the direction that people will go before pulling the plug on BIS. I don't think that BlackBerry is looking for any further lost income. BlackBerry needs to focus on getting BB10 (or whatever other OS they might be about to deploy) to a state that the majority of legacy users see substantial benefits in upgrading - it's clear from the CB forums that at present many legacy users don't yet see those benefits.
    Blackberry would be braindead if the would pull the plug on BIS as long as they can make some money with it. They will be the last doing that.

There is a *much* higher chance though that you can't get BIS any longer in countries. Mobile service providers will simply close the service when their benefits drop below a certain level.

It is just a matter of time to reach that point as no new customers come in but only walk out.

Posted via CB10
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    08-05-15 06:41 AM
    I share your concern. I also upgraded to OS7 from OS10 by digging out my Bold which I fortunatley hung onto. I also have a backup Bold with a very fine crack in the screen. I noticed that Verizon now longer has the Bold on their site - as of about a month or so ago.
    08-05-15 07:10 AM
    In China, the BIS has been stopped already. So it may happen someday in your country. Here without BIS, we use app like smartmail to sync emails. And it's good and fast enough even though not that fast as BIS.

Posted via CB10
    Smartmail, what is that exactly? Is it an app for bbos that integrates with the os email, or a standalone email app?
    08-05-15 11:38 PM
    Smartmail, what is that exactly?
    This might be SmarterMail, an email server system that is compatible with all sorts of clients
    see here: Windows Mail Server Software, Secure Email Server, Exchange Server Alternative

Disclaimer: I've never used it, I'm not recommending it, and I have nothing to do with the company
    Last edited by mushroom_daddy; 08-07-15 at 06:30 AM.
    terminatorx likes this.
    08-06-15 07:36 AM