Circumstances Change, and So Does My Tech
    As much as I love that Bold interface, I feel it's time to go back to BB10 sooner than later. I have ordered a used white Q10 on Amazon, ....
    No need to apologise, your circumstances have changed and BB10 will undoubtedly serve you better. Thanks for all your reports and good luck in the new ventures.

As you know, I was also a big fan of the 9900 and especially the trackpad/toolbelt, and I had been very cautious about my move to the Q10 - but I can't see myself going back now. Because of the trackpad, the 9900 is way better for editing documents and large sections of text, no question there - but there are far more pros than cons to using the Q10 with it's more modern OS (BB10), which means I am prepared to live with the occasional frustrations of no trackpad; on balance I now have more options, to get more done, more quickly.

As a fan of the trackpad I will look forward to seeing the Classic when it arrives but until then, I'll work with the Q10 and my trusty (and much loved) 9900 is confined to the drawer.

Posted via CB10
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    09-20-14 06:42 AM
    A few weeks into this experiment and I am thrilled. BB7 is so much better than using Good. It's just night and day.

It's the little details in messages and calendar that make the difference. BES looks up contacts from AD quickly and correctly. Joining phone calls is efficient and the extensions are picked correctly, as opposed to Good which is painfully stupid on this.

The calendar is tougher to read on the small screen, but at least all the appointments update correctly, as opposed to Good. The keyboard shortcuts are very nice to use.

And I LOVE the trackpad. I can completely understand the devotion to BBOS for messaging and calendar in an enterprise setting.

Now, it can't be my primary personal phone. The iPhone 6 is perfect for that job, but the combination of the two is the best I've ever had.

If Good were actually good, that might change things. But there seems to be no danger of that ever happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09-20-14 07:52 AM
    Actually there may be interesting opportunity for someone (maybe BlackBerry) to go hire some of the folks who designed BBOS, and pair them with some real Android and iOS experts, to make something far better than Good. That could sell a lot of BES12 licenses.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    09-20-14 06:42 PM
    Frankly for me my Bold 9930 has become my default go-to handset (bridged to the PB for larger screen) and I use my Q10 for more specific tasks. The precision of the track pad & keyboard layout on the Bold is really unbeatable. Also I am comfortable with what the Bold 9930 can and can't manage and change devices when appropriate.
    Last edited by christopherk67; 09-21-14 at 02:39 PM.
    09-21-14 04:48 AM
    After a 9780, the display failed me , I bought a 9790 that I really like a lot. But I bought anyway a 9900 on Ebay, hopefully it will be as advertised, meaning almost new. Can't wait to have it, to use it, to send sms all day
    The difficult choice in the morning: 9790 or 9900
    anon(6038817) and xristfer like this.
    09-21-14 02:25 PM
    Still Bold for now, but moving on to a new venture

My friends, a writing opportunity has presented itself that I cannot pass up.

But to take this opportunity, I must change and rearrange some priorities.

So, it is with a heavy heart that I must stop maintaining my Still Bold blog.

I will still be posting in the BBM channel, and in this thread from time to time. But circumstances have changed, and I must change with them.

Please read my latest blog post for details.

Thanks, as always, for your continued interest and support!

I leave you with one of my all-time favorite BlackBerry spots. It describes so perfectly why I love BlackBerry, and may give you a hint as to where my creative efforts will now be focused.

Cheers.

BlackBerry - Bold 9900 Campaign - Anthem on Vimeo

BlackBerry - Bold 9900 Campaign - Anthem on Vimeo
    Newfangled, I will miss your BOLD experiment postings. Good luck with your new opportunity and post when you can.

The 99xx is still the best communication device.
    anon(6038817) and xristfer like this.
    09-21-14 07:25 PM
    Circumstances Change, and So Does My Tech

Attachment 298185

If there�s one thing you can expect in life, it�s that circumstances change. And I often describe myself as a �fickle technology geek�, anyway. So I�m not sure how I thought I could possibly commit to using the same smartphone for an entire year, let alone a 3-year-old smartphone like the BlackBerry Bold 9900/9930.

I felt my reasoning was sound. As great as the Z30 was, it didn�t have everything I wanted in a smartphone. And since there was no single device in existence (yet) that could do everything I wanted, I decided to take a multi-device approach. I wanted to separate work from play. I would use my smartphone primarily for communication � phone calls, emails, texts, IMs, etc. � and I would supplement it with other devices (like a tablet or iPod) and use those for distraction, entertainment, and everything else. The ultimate communication device, for me, was the Bold 9930. This was due mainly to its fantastic combination of physical keyboard, tool belt with trackpad, and touch screen. Typing out and editing text on a smartphone has, for me, never been easier and more efficient than on the Bold.

Overall this arrangement has been going great for me, but in the 2 months I�ve been doing it, my circumstances have changed.

I have recently started writing for a website by and for BlackBerry fans dedicated to telling BlackBerry�s story and promoting brand awareness. This new writing opportunity has made me realize that if I�m going to be covering all things BlackBerry, I should probably have a phone running their most current OS.

This wasn�t the only reason I decided to upgrade (again � I�ve used a BlackBerry Z30 and Q10 in the past). As great as the Bold is for a 3-year-old phone, it�s definitely showing its age and limitations compared to the rest of the ever-advancing technology world. Several deficiencies were made apparent to me during a recent business trip, in which GPS could never seem to find my exact location, the phone lagged or locked up when attempting to use multiple applications at once, and I had to uninstall apps due to the 4 GB internal storage being maxed out. There were several good things about my travel experience, as well, such as being able to crank out emails, texts, Tweets, etc. with precision and speed using the keyboard and trackpad, always having a strong 3G signal no matter where I was, and decent battery life (as long as I closed apps after using them).

As much as I love that Bold interface, I feel it�s time to go back to BB10 sooner than later. I have ordered a used white Q10 on Amazon, which will hopefully be delivered by the end of this week.

I also ended up returning the PlayBook. The battery was expanding - probably due to age - causing the back to bulge out. I decided to use that money towards the Q10 purchase.

I briefly considered getting a Q5, but it is not supported on Verizon, and I am still in a contract until July of 2015. I would love to be on a GSM carrier like AT&T because there seems to be a greater selection of phones that are compatible with GSM networks, but I didn�t want to pay early termination fees, and I still really like being on the best network in the country and not having to worry about getting a signal when I need it.

Here are some things I will miss about the Bold:

• The tool belt. The track pad makes it so easy to navigate around the OS and apps, as well as copy, paste, and edit text with minimal movement. And dedicated call, back, and menu buttons only enhance the functionality of the phone. I know I don�t have to worry about looking at my screen and making a gesture to hang up a call. I press the �end call� button and it�s done.
    • The keyboard. I�ve used a Q10 before, and while its keyboard certainly lives up to BlackBerry�s best-in-class standards, I still liked the keyboard on the Bold more. The curving rows seem to make it more comfortable somehow. And the tactile feedback is different
    • OEM charging pods. It�s so convenient to be able to just dock my phone on my night stand by my bed at home or at my desk at work and let it charge. I have it set to bring up the clock when docked, and because it�s standing upright, it�s easy to see from anywhere. This is a feature I wish BlackBerry would bring back in its phones, or at least make them all compatible with wireless charging so that it�s easier to charge them without fiddling with cables.
    • Highly customizable notifications. This is one of my favorite features of BB OS 7. You can customize your notifications to the point that when the LED flashes a certain color, or when a certain notification tone plays, you know exactly who is contacting you and on what service without ever having to pick up the phone! This is another feature that I hope BlackBerry some day brings to BB10. There are some 3rd party apps out there that seem to mimic this functionality, but it�s not quite the same.
    • Dedicated camera button. I know, it�s a relatively trivial thing, but it�s so nice to have!
    • The overall look and feel. There is just something about the design and look of the Bold that is unique and brilliant. It�s really an iconic device and many of its design and styling elements have carried over into BB10 devices. It�s just a great looking phone.

Here are some things I am looking forward to in going back to the Q10:

• BB10. In all the ways that really matter (to me), it�s a better, sleeker, faster OS that will be able to handle what I throw at it. Multi-tasking, social network and cloud storage service integration, the Hub, and host of other features will help me keep up with my communications.
    • Apps. They really do matter. And though I will still be using my Q10 primarily as a communication and productivity device, the combination of great native apps plus the ability to run Android apps means I will have a much better quality and selection of apps than is available on the Bold.
    • BBM. It�s the best, most secure cross-platform IM and social networking app around. On the Q10, I�ll be able to make use of ALL the BBM features (like video calling) and the updated, sleek interface.
    • Larger screen. It�s not much larger in the grand scheme of things, but every pixel helps!
    • LTE. It definitely makes the overall experience smoother when emails, images, videos, etc. download quickly.
    • Dedicated Micro HDMI video out. This is another oft-overlooked but powerful feature that I will take advantage of at home and work. Yes, you can charge your phone AND have it connected to an external display at the same time!

Yes, I am fickle when it comes to technology. In the past 3 years I have owned a LG Optimus V, BlackBerry Curve 8530, Galaxy Nexus (Google Play Edition), Nokia Lumia 521, iPhone 5, BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry Q10, and BlackBerry Bold 9930. As you can see, BlackBerry has been my favorite, but I just love trying different devices and platforms! Although, for the sake of my pocketbook, I hope I am able to be content with the Q10 at least until my Verizon contract is up in 10 months!

I'm so sorry I let you down, my friends. I should have known committing to use a 3-year-old device for a year was a tall order for me. But circumstances have changed, and so must I!

I learned so much over the past 2 months. I've connected with great people and have so appreciated all the support and feedback. It's been simply amazing.

I will be keeping my BBM channel, but changing its name and theme to better share all my ongoing tech experiences.

Cheers!

No need to apologize - you gave it a good go!

As you say, sometimes things and life circumstances change, and you have to consider changing with them. Thanks for attempting to use the 99xx as your daily driver. the 99xx is THE best communication device, IMHO.
    09-21-14 07:33 PM
    Definitely no apologies needed. I'm working on my fourth "retirement" and know all about changing opportunities... Never a minute's rest for those who put their heart into their efforts. Best wishes in your new venture and may it be satisfyingly profitable! Let's all hope we can someday join efforts on the perfected BB platform... Maybe the Q99??
    09-22-14 04:10 PM
    I loved your 1st article on the Bold 9930. I had originally bought one because of the price. However I do not feel under phoned with it. (if that�s a proper statement) I recently Bought a Playbook and the two together are perfect for me. Looking forward to your next installment.
    xristfer likes this.
    10-11-14 12:56 AM
    I used my BlackBerry Bold 9900 for a month and it didn't feel anything less than my Q10 the entire time.
    xristfer likes this.
    10-11-14 01:02 AM
    Though email management and synching is a bit more efficient on BB10.
    10-11-14 05:01 AM
    Here is an excerpt from an article I recently wrote. Listed are some of the Q10’s fantastic features that have really jumped out at me compared to my Bold:
    • Speed and responsiveness. The difference is significant. It’s stunning, really. The efficiency with which BB10 handles multitasking and switching between different apps and tasks is very impressive. I had become accustomed to waiting a while when trying to do certain things on my Bold. The little ticking clock icon would be an all to familiar sight. Not so on my Q10. I have yet to throw something at it that has caused it to freeze or hang. Some Android apps may take a bit to load, but once loaded, they run fine. Overall, it’s a refreshing and welcome improvement.
    • Larger screen. The screen on the Bold isn’t horrendous at 2.8″ and 640 x 480 resolution, but the Q10’s 3.1″, 720 x 720 screen is definitely an improvement. The Q10’s display has a pixel density of 330 ppi (higher than the iPhone 6), while the Bold’s is 286 ppi (impressive considering it’s a 3-year-old phone). The Q10 has a larger screen with higher resolution and greater detail. And it really shows.
    • Modern UI and design language. BB10 looks sleek and elegant, yet simple. Native apps have a more consistent design language and style and are easy to navigate. There are some good apps on BB OS 7, but there is really no consistency between them in terms of navigation elements or layout, and they didn’t really tie in with the OS design elements.
    • Apps. There is a greater selection of apps on BB10 and the overall quality is much better. Good native BB10 apps look amazing and run brilliantly. And Android apps have never been easier to install with OS 10.2.1. You can install Android APK files with a couple of taps. And in 10.3, the Amazon Appstore will come already integrated with the OS. App development for BB OS 7 is, for all intents and purposes, dead. It is what it is and it will never change or improve from what you see today. The app situation on BB10 just keeps getting better and better.
    • Calendar. You can access and manage all of your calendars from all of your email/cloud accounts easily in BB10. One of my biggest peeves with the Bold was that you cannot wirelessly sync multiple calendars from a single account. For example, if you have a Google calendar that you share with someone, you cannot have access to it via the native calendar app. You can only wirelessly sync your primary calendars on each account. This is one of the limitation of BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service). At one time, Google and others supported multi-calendar sync via BIS, but have long since ended that support. You can get around this by using paid third party apps, or by syncing your calendars via Outlook on a Windows desktop/laptop, then connecting your phone to your computer via USB and syncing your calendars with it using BlackBerry Desktop, but this is a method from a bygone era when people had to sync their Palm Pilots and PDAs with their computers every day.
    • GPS and maps. GPS on the Q10 is so much more accurate and responsive than in BB OS 7. The BlackBerry Maps app is much also more robust and user-friendly on BB10. On my Bold, I had to download the Google Maps app because I could never use the BlackBerry Maps app to do search queries like “restaurants” or “movie theaters”. On BB10, you can enter such a search term in BlackBerry Maps and it works beautifully. Also, GPS navigation is built into BlackBerry Maps on BB10, whereas you have to use a separate app called “Traffic” on BB OS 7.
    • Browser. If there is one thing that is a huge improvement in BB10 vs BB OS 7, it’s the browser. The BB10 browser is the most amazing browser I’ve ever used on any mobile device. It’s insanely fast, renders websites in beautiful detail and proper formatting, and because it supports Adobe Flash, you can watch videos and use websites that other platforms just can’t. No more checker-boarding!
    • The Hub, with social media integration. I’m not sure how I ever got along without the BB10 Hub. It’s a unified inbox on steroids. No other mobile platform comes close to this functionality, even with third party apps. All your emails, texts, IMs, social media, calls, voicemails, and more are in a single area and can be viewed in a single, unified feed. Or, if you prefer, you can view each type of message in its own feed. There’s even a “Priority Hub” where you can see the most important messages so you can be sure you’ll never miss a thing. It’s never been easier to manage all your communications on a smartphone. The Hub is clearly one of BB10’s strongest features.
    • Cloud storage integration with file manager. Cloud storage is extremely useful. It allows people to store files in the cloud that they can access from any internet-connected device. It also allows people to easily share files with each other and collaborate. The Bold was released at a time when cloud storage was not nearly as popular as it is today, and it shows. There are some apps that give you some access to cloud storage services, but functionality is limited and performance is sluggish. BB10 allows you to integrate the most popular cloud storage services with the built-in file manager. On my Q10, I have seamless and instant access to my Box, Dropbox, and OneDrive accounts whenever I need them. I can automatically back up my photos to any of them. I can attach files to emails and photos to social media posts from any of them without having to toggle back and forth between apps or websites. It’s absolutely brilliant.
    • Active frames. No other mobile OS can handle true multi-tasking like BB10 can. Active Frames allow you to toggle back and forth between up to 8 apps at a time. When an app has been minimized to an active frame, many of them display relevant information pertaining to that app. For example, a weather app might display the current temperature where you are, the Twitter app will show the latest tweets from your feed, etc. Active Frames give you the flexibility to interact with multiple apps in a virtually seamless way without losing your work or waiting for apps to resume or start up again.
    • Battery life. The battery life on my Bold was actually quite respectable…when I made sure to turn off all non-essential services and close all unused apps. I had to install an app that would automatically turn off WiFi so that it wouldn’t drain the battery constantly looking for available connections. On my Q10, I don’t really have to worry as much. It makes efficient use of the battery regardless of how many apps I may have in Active Frames or whether or not WiFi is enabled. I can get through an average day with power to spare.
    • Dedicated micro HDMI output. I can connect my Q10 to an HDTV with a micro HDMI to HDMI cable and watch videos in full 1080p, play a game, or give a presentation. No expensive dongles or adapters needed. I can even have my phone hooked up to a charger at the same time because the video out port is not the same port that is used to charge it!
    • The ability to quickly compose a tweet or fb post from the home screen by typing “tw” or “fb”. This little feature comes in so handy, and it’s one of those features you can only use on a BB10 phone with a physical keyboard. You just type “tw” or “fb” followed by a space, and then the text of your post. It’s so simple and so useful!
    • Holding left shift to activate “trackpad anywhere” functionality when editing text. This is a little hidden gem that many people don’t know about. When you are typing and editing text on a Q10 (or Q5) running OS 10.2.1, you can hold down the left shift key and use the entire screen as a trackpad to move the cursor and select any amount of text you want. Why do you need a trackpad when your entire screen can be one?

That said, here are some of the things I miss from my Bold:

• The tool belt. The trackpad on legacy BlackBerry phones (and on the forthcoming Classic) makes it easy to navigate around the OS and easily select and edit text with minimal movement. As great as touch screens are, it’s difficult to place a cursor in exactly the place you want on the first attempt. BlackBerry has made it as easy as possible to use a touch screen to select and edit text, but the trackpad is still the gold standard for this. Physical call, menu, and back buttons are also extremely useful and convenient.
    • Dat keyboard. The Q10’s keyboard is great, but for me, the Bold’s still edges it out. The tactile feedback on the Bold is better for me. That, in combination with the texture and size of the keys and the curve of the rows made it extremely easy and comfortable to type.
    • Charging pod. When I wanted to charge my Bold, I never had to fiddle with cables. I had a charging pod on my night stand next to my bed and another on my desk at work. This is an extremely practical and convenient feature that I wish BlackBerry would bring back to all of its handsets. At the very least, it would be great to see wireless charging as a standard feature.
    • Notification, LED, and sound customization. Legacy BlackBerry phones offer unparalleled notification, LED, and sound customization features baked right into the OS. Some of this functionality can be had on BB10 with third party apps, but BlackBerry mysteriously left this out of the OS. Perhaps they thought it wasn’t necessary or needed anymore? Or perhaps they wanted to focus their limited resources and money on more important features. Regardless, this is one of the reasons many legacy users are hesitant to upgrade. It’s not a deal breaker for me, but it is something I miss.
    • Bedside mode schedule. BB10 does have bedside mode, which allows you to silence all notifications but still allow phone calls through. It does not, however, have the BB OS 7 feature that allows you to define a schedule for bedside mode to automatically activate during certain hours when your phone is charging. I knew that when set me Bold in its charging pod between the hours of 10 pm and 8 am, it would automatically enter bedside mode. This is a subtle but extremely convenient feature that I miss in BB10.
    10-12-14 08:39 PM
    "Dat keyboard. The Q10’s keyboard is great, but for me, the Bold’s still edges it out. The tactile feedback on the Bold is better for me. That, in combination with the texture and size of the keys and the curve of the rows made it extremely easy and comfortable to type."
    That one item is the one that is the most important which keeps me coming back to my BB9900 even though my 9900 sometimes does not get a signal and I have to reset it and wfc now does not work on my 9900. I tried, again, to like my Q10 but went back to my BB9900 as it just feels right in my hand and has all the functionality I need. I use a sip program to take the place of lost WFC on TMO with my BB9900 (TMO supposedly has a ticket in for me with no time frame on when it's gonna be fixed).
    10-13-14 07:25 AM
    03-16-15 04:53 PM
    Excellent. I went to your site and found it an interesting read.
    I tried a Lumia 830 (windows phone) for three weeks but could not get myself to like it. I am a hi tech fanatic too and try out and study on all the new technology goings on. I still use my go to daily device-BB9900 (and of course I have 2 BB9900's standing by as backups). The BB9900 bug has bitten me. hahaha. I tried BB9900anonymous but it did not help. hahaha
    03-16-15 05:12 PM
    I enjoy my iPhone 5 but I miss my 9930. I liked OS7 but the lack of being able to get all group texts because so many people I communicated with did iMessage was what finally sunk my Bold. Actually I was using the Curve at the time because the Bold's space bar issue. Both of those OS7 phones were awesome I still have them. I should really move the 9930 on to someone else to use.
    03-17-15 12:42 AM
    Wow awesome. I used the 9900 and loved it. It was my favorite Blackberry prior to the Classic. For productivity, no phone comes close to it. The keyboard is great! That's why I have the Classic. Sorry but I'm not going back haha i'm going to enjoy reading through this thread though

Posted via CB10
    03-17-15 05:57 PM
    How very strange ... I have also gone back to my Bold 9900 this week (from my Q10). I just had to try out that trackpad again. I am mostly happy with my Q10 but I do still on occasions get irritated with it's lack of accuracy while selecting & editing text. I'm sure I will not last long with the 9900 (there are too many advantages to using BB10) but it has been fun 'dusting off' my 9900 and I've 'updated' the software to 7.1 v2930 using the recommendations & guidance outlined in the CB forums:

03-19-15 06:48 AM
    Welcome back!!
    03-19-15 09:39 AM
    I just switched to my 9930 from my z30. This phone is tops for email/sms/calling.
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    03-23-15 02:36 PM
    Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 09:30 AM
    What a thought. I am finally using a Bold 9900 and I gave my friend a Q5 to update from his Bold. We're both loving our devices.
    Could you do the same with Android? What about the iPhone? Pick up an iPhone 3G and try falling in love with it after using an iPhone 6. I'm not going to say that it won't happen, but I suspect that the odds are much less than 3,720 to 1.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-15 02:27 PM
    I went from a Q10 to a Bold 9930 [I posted much earlier on at the beginning of this thread] and enjoyed the experience so much that the Bold became my n� 1 go-to device. Though the Bold does excel in emails, BBM and texting, it has some frustrating flaws such as short battery life, freezing issues with long reboots, hold being activated on a call and unable to deactivate it... I finally traded it in to get the Passport that provides for an excellent and unique keyboard experience along with accuracy. Typing is a dream and I barely look at the keys. And the Passport gives me access to a large number of productivity apps that are great for my job.
    03-31-15 06:25 PM
    And once again I find myself being pulled back to BBOS devices.

I have left Verizon, so I can't use my Bold 9930, but I've been toying with the idea of getting a 9900 or even a Torch 9810.

I'm seeing the writing on the wall. BB10 development has stagnated. BlackBerry has something new up their sleeve, and I think it's Android running BlackBerry software.

To put it mildly, I extremely dislike Android and anything else to do with Google. It will be very difficult for BlackBerry to convince me they can truly secure Android and the apps that run on it.

And BB10, while excellent in many ways, is still lacking some of the fundamental functionality that made BBOS so great. At this rate, it's looking like that functionality will never make it into BB10. QNX will live on, but I think BB10 will be in "maintenance mode" from here on out.

And here's a thought: legacy BlackBerry/BIS support may actually outlive BB10 support. There. I said it.

So yeah. I'm at another crossroads. Wish me luck!

Posted from my Q5 via CB10
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    08-18-15 11:34 PM
    And once again I find myself being pulled back to BBOS devices.

I have left Verizon, so I can't use my Bold 9930, but I've been toying with the idea of getting a 9900 or even a Torch 9810.

I'm seeing the writing on the wall. BB10 development has stagnated. BlackBerry has something new up their sleeve, and I think it's Android running BlackBerry software.

To put it mildly, I extremely dislike Android and anything else to do with Google. It will be very difficult for BlackBerry to convince me they can truly secure Android and the apps that run on it.

And BB10, while excellent in many ways, is still lacking some of the fundamental functionality that made BBOS so great. At this rate, it's looking like that functionality will never make it into BB10. QNX will live on, but I think BB10 will be in "maintenance mode" from here on out.

And here's a thought: legacy BlackBerry/BIS support may actually outlive BB10 support. There. I said it.

So yeah. I'm at another crossroads. Wish me luck!

Posted from my Q5 via CB10
    The blackberry using android forever thing is a rumour still, and should be taken as a great big grain of salt unless we hear from blackberry themselves via a press release or media release. The 9930 you have, if from verizon, has a SIM slot I believe, all you would need to do is get it unlocked (the SIM module), and there's tricks to get it working with a sim from any other carrier, be it t-mobile, at&t or the smaller carriers.
    08-18-15 11:51 PM
260 ... 7891011