Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Bold 9930 blinking red "light" next to the Notification LED

Does anyone know what the red constantly blinking "light" is that is located next to the actual Notification LED?

Thanks
    CrackBerry Addict

Its the Proximity sensor, It flashes a dim red when on a phone call. Its there so it knows when to turn the screen off when the phone is up to your face so your not pressing anything on screen. The track pad also flashes a dim red after just being touched. If I answered your question click the Thanks button!
    Thanked by 3:
    fdisnyc (09-04-2011),  Hi Tek (11-21-2011),  wtc88c (08-28-2013) 
    CrackBerry Addict

I've never noticed the trackpad flashing red.....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by BBFTW88 View Post

I didnt notice it until I was in a dark room and only at a certain angle and you have to hold your finger over the trackpad swiping for a few seconds while covering the whole trackpad. Youll notice it if you look. Its in the lower Left hand corner of the trackpad more near the middle than the edge of the trackpad. I do believe it is dimmer than the proximity sensor so its understandable that you missed it. But its there. Now that Ive trained my eye to see it, I can see it in the light too.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by DannyJK View Post
    I didnt notice it until I was in a dark room and only at a certain angle and you have to hold your finger over the trackpad swiping for a few seconds while covering the whole trackpad. Youll notice it if you look. Its in the lower Left hand corner of the trackpad more near the middle than the edge of the trackpad. I do believe it is dimmer than the proximity sensor so its understandable that you missed it. But its there. Now that Ive trained my eye to see it, I can see it in the light too.
    if you use a camera you can see it much clearer
    Z30 | HTC one (m7)
    10.2.1.2179 | Kitkat 4.4.2
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    T? Yes, please.

Never noticed the trackpad light changing color, and still don't see it.

Usually a flashing red LED "near" the notification LED would indicate a new message of some sort. The 9930 has only one notification LED that is multi-colored. Red for a new message (SMS, MMS, email, PIN, BBM, etc), blue for bluetooth connectivity, green for wireless connectivity.

But, if y'all see something else other than the norm BB notification colors, don't know what to tell ya.

CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by Craterz View Post

Usually a flashing red LED "near" the notification LED would indicate a new message of some sort. The 9930 has only one notification LED that is multi-colored. Red for a new message (SMS, MMS, email, PIN, BBM, etc), blue for bluetooth connectivity, green for wireless connectivity.

But, if y'all see something else other than the norm BB notification colors, don't know what to tell ya.

Go to a dark room, and try calling someone. There's a rapidly blinking led next to the notification led.
    Banned

Global Posts
    6,600 Global Posts
    PIN
    Not - NO!

Quote Originally Posted by BBFTW88 View Post

That is because it does not. They are talking about a very small light next to the notification LED near the top of the phone!

Quote Originally Posted by rayzian View Post
    if you use a camera you can see it much clearer
    Most digital cameras are sensitive to IR light. If you look at the end of your TV remove via you camera on your phone or other digital camera you can see the IR light flash when you push a button on the remote.

The BB is using the same IR light on a sesor to tell the phone when it is against your face.

LOL! I love it when people are so positive about things and they are wrong. Go into a dark closet and look carefully at the area near the notification LED. BEHOLD!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Mine also flick red light a lot, but when I restart the 9900 its gone, any ideas why?

See attachment, the second on the left of the LED
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bold 9930 blinking red "light" next to the Notification LED-clipboard01.jpg  
    Banned

Global Posts
    6,600 Global Posts
    PIN
    Not - NO!

Quote Originally Posted by hitman36 View Post
    Mine also flick red light a lot, but when I restart the 9900 its gone, any ideas why?

See attachment, the second on the left of the LED
    Did you read the thread reply just above yours!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    PIN

I've seen the trackpad red as well in the dark. The red light is there!
    Last edited by saadqasim; 09-05-2011 at 10:04 AM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
    Did you read the thread reply just above yours!
    Quite clearly he didnt...really annoys me when people dont read a thread before asking the same question again :/
  13. FBA
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,412 Global Posts

That is because it does not. They are talking about a very small light next to the notification LED near the top of the phone!

Most digital cameras are sensitive to IR light. If you look at the end of your TV remove via you camera on your phone or other digital camera you can see the IR light flash when you push a button on the remote.

The BB is using the same IR light on a sesor to tell the phone when it is against your face.

LOL! I love it when people are so positive about things and they are wrong. Go into a dark closet and look carefully at the area near the notification LED. BEHOLD!
    Speaking of which, you are wrong and are the ONLY one here that is. Trackpad works on infra red LED's and does indeed emit visible light, as does the prox sensor. Go into that same dark closet you refer to and see for yourself...than maybe consider locking yourself in there.
    Z10
    Steve - Besadmin
    irkan and tomgnc like this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    768 Global Posts

w**d saved my life. i saw the trackpad blinking red 2 weeks ago when i got the phone and was in the studio undoubtedly staring at my trackpad as if a creature was coming alive. the trackpad is "optical." ever look at the underside of an "optical" mouse?
    CrackBerry Addict

Actually Yes the trackpad does flash a dim red, its not the whole trackpad but a very small light. Go to a dark room and check it out. I promise im not lying, I have no reason to.
    CrackBerry User

I am also seeing the dim red blinking light. I understand that its a proximity sensor when the phone is ON, but even when i turn it off its still blinking. why is this?
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by 925jd View Post
    I am also seeing the dim red blinking light. I understand that its a proximity sensor when the phone is ON, but even when i turn it off its still blinking. why is this?
    I'm seeing this as well... Very strange

CrackBerry Abuser

Smile

I just a Nikon D70 to take an extended-duration photo of my 9930. It shows the light in the track pad but I couldn't get the prox sensor to illuminate. I tried waving my hand all around the front but to no avail.

Anyhow, I've attached a photo of the light in the trackpad for those interested.

-----

I've added a photo of the (elusive to me) top light here just to put these two side-by-side.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bold 9930 blinking red "light" next to the Notification LED-bbtrackpadlight.jpg   Bold 9930 blinking red "light" next to the Notification LED-bbproxlight.jpg  
    Last edited by bull_thumper; 09-07-2011 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Added second photo.
    Thanked by:
    irkan (11-14-2011) 
    Hi Tek likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by DannyJK View Post
    Its the Proximity sensor, It flashes a dim red when on a phone call. Its there so it knows when to turn the screen off when the phone is up to your face so your not pressing anything on screen. The track pad also flashes a dim red after just being touched. If I answered your question click the Thanks button!
    Not that this thing matters, but the curiosity is there. The attachment is an overexposed an image and one can clearly see the proximity LED position.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bold 9930 blinking red "light" next to the Notification LED-bbproxlightposition.jpg  
    CrackBerry Abuser

Smile

All right, captured that light on camera. In a dark room, it doesn't want to come on, so I used a flash light to trigger it.

I would've added this to another post to combine both images, but that will have to wait until I've learned this board better.

Cheerios!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bold 9930 blinking red "light" next to the Notification LED-bbproxlight.jpg  
    Thanked by:
    irkan (11-14-2011) 
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    T? Yes, please.

Sorry, I don't spend a lot of time in dark closets. When I do spend time in dark places, playing with a phone is not a high priority . Not to mention that my girlfriend would wonder "What the f@< are you doing?"
    Still a faithful Blackberry follower!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Sorry, I don't spend a lot of time in dark closets. When I do spend time in dark places, playing with a phone is not a high priority . Not to mention that my girlfriend would wonder "What the f@< are you doing?"
    I get that question a lot. (Maybe too much.)
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    499 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by swishhh View Post
    I'm seeing this as well... Very strange

I'm on .353 my 9900 also behaving like this. No phone calls, just standby but the proximity light always on. The only way to turn it off is by battery pull. I can't seems to replicate the problems though, as it happens randomly. No wonder my phones sometimes is very hot even when idle, and also the battery is drained supper fast.
    . WTF.
    Definatelly that's not hardware issues. More like software issues to me.
    C'mon RIM, please release the "mature" OS before releasing the phone to the public!
    I'm getting more frustated each day....

CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Dee-Q View Post
    I'm on .353 my 9900 also behaving like this. No phone calls, just standby but the proximity light always on. The only way to turn it off is by battery pull. I can't seems to replicate the problems though, as it happens randomly. No wonder my phones sometimes is very hot even when idle, and also the battery is drained supper fast.
    . WTF.
    Definatelly that's not hardware issues. More like software issues to me.
    C'mon RIM, please release the "mature" OS before releasing the phone to the public!
    I'm getting more frustated each day....

Same thing is happening to me. Started recently. My phone will be simply idling and the light just keeps flashing (not the LED one, but the little one to its left that we've been discussing).

Importantly, While doing some app updates, i had to restart alot and i started to see a pattern: when the red light was constantly blinking, my battery would drain extremely fast ... As in from 75% to red in only a matter of hours... While idling! Next I took note that when the proximity light worked as intended and only came on during phone calls, my battery will last a day or two.

Anyway, pulling the battery will fix it, but I'm wondering if RIM is addressing this. Otherwise I may exchange it while still under warranty.... Just in case it's the hardware's fault.

Id be most grateful to learn what anyone else has learned (perhaps even from tech. Support) about the misbehaving proximity light issue.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    239EDDD2

I had this issue on OS7.0 as soon as I upgraded too 7.1 it stopped.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast