So i got my bold 9900 recently and i have been charging it using the provided bb wall charger so im not sure what the deal is, but if I try charging it using a micro usb plugged into anything other than a blackberry wall charger it wont charge.. the red led will apear for 10 seconds then dissapear or just no reaction at all. Is anyone else having this problem? Or could it be a defective charging port? It will only charge fine if i plug the cord into a computer or another "newer" micro usb BB wall charger.
    08-28-11 09:51 PM
    Wont charge with a belkin usb plug for me either. Get message saying power source is insufficient

Does work with charger for my hp touchpad however
    08-28-11 10:08 PM
    It charges with every micro usb I have thrown at it... Not sure what your problem could be I'm afraid. I don't see why it shouldn't work with any other charger

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    08-28-11 10:08 PM
    could be the charger is going bad, spitting out uneven current or something like that.
    08-28-11 10:54 PM
    I have the same issue for a Belkin wall USB charger and a vehicle charger - get the same message. These both work for older devices, so something has changed. Could it be the new "J" battery?
    08-28-11 11:15 PM
    Should also mention that I got a new vehicle USB charger from Verizon they guaranteed woudl work. Although the message does not display, neither does the power bolt appear on the battery icon on screen.
    08-28-11 11:18 PM
    I tried using an Apple USB charger (looks similar to the BB one) and doesn't work either.
    08-28-11 11:20 PM
    Same problem here, I have loads of old Blackberry chargers in the house and at work that I use to charge my 9780 fine. Tried a couple of them and one shows the red light for about 5 seconds then nothing. The other one I just tried shows the Lightning bolt but wont charge it.

The other thing I like about the older Blackberry chargers is the cord length, seems the new one is short like my crappy HTC and iPhone I no longer have....
    08-31-11 01:54 AM
    and all my chargers with same USB (nokia, samsung) work on my 9900. i wonder why your's isnt charging.
    08-31-11 04:50 AM
    I tried an old charger that works with my 9780 (this has an adaptor on the end so you can use both mini and micro USB) and I get a messege like "Your device canot be charged with this power source"
    08-31-11 05:28 AM
    Sometimes, if the current and Voltage spec of the adapter is not correct then the BB refuses to charge.
    Check the Specs of the other charger and compare with the original BB charger
    08-31-11 05:34 AM
    So far all my micro's work, android and even my apple charger usb base works..
    08-31-11 06:53 AM
    So i got my bold 9900 recently and i have been charging it using the provided bb wall charger so im not sure what the deal is, but if I try charging it using a micro usb plugged into anything other than a blackberry wall charger it wont charge.. the red led will apear for 10 seconds then dissapear or just no reaction at all. Is anyone else having this problem? Or could it be a defective charging port? It will only charge fine if i plug the cord into a computer or another "newer" micro usb BB wall charger.
    this issue has been over flogged.

just get a new BB charger.

sefini
    08-31-11 07:17 AM

sefini
    I'll just replace to 2 I have at work, the 1 in the car and the bunch of old chargers I have at home then! Sorry but I don't have cash to through away and I believe in saving the planet!
    Last edited by rayhead; 08-31-11 at 12:01 PM.
    08-31-11 07:48 AM
    Some micro-USB wall-chargers are either too old, or are cheaper and don't have a specific piece built into it(I forget what it's called because I just woke up over here:P), but it can lead to an unsafe amount of power being drawn in, so the BB doesn't pull current from it.

I have like 4 dozen micro-usb wall chargers, mostly from other phones. THey seem to work but the BB one works best anyway so...
    Steve306 likes this.
    08-31-11 07:56 AM
    i just tried a monster USB car charger that i plugged BB USB into and nothing at all.... not sure whats going on either

however, any wall charger i throw at it works fine... just not that monster car charger
    08-31-11 08:17 AM
    i just tried a monster USB car charger that i plugged BB USB into and nothing at all.... not sure whats going on either

however, any wall charger i throw at it works fine... just not that monster car charger
    Call it a punishment for buying a monster product

My universal laptop charger with a usb port does not work as well.

Just one of those things
    08-31-11 09:39 AM
    I tried various other micro USB chords and they all seem to work fine. Why would you want to use something other then OEM blackberry chord though? It comes with it, not liek you have to go out and pay more for it...
    08-31-11 09:43 AM
    The charger has to output at least 750mah for it to charge. I use a charger at work that I bought on ebay for 99p that outputs at 1000mah and it charges fine.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    rayhead likes this.
    08-31-11 10:08 AM
    ya not sure what the monster one outputs at... its quite odd... doesnt matter... going to get a BB car charger instead lol
    08-31-11 03:27 PM

sefini
    I bought 4 of these phones for the family. We have 5 cars, so each one needs a new car charger. I usually keep a charger at work, as does my wife, . . .

Even if I am willing to buy more chargers, it isn't obvious what works and what doesn't. In addition, the battery life is less than my old phone, so it needs to be charged more often, so I want to be able to plug it in more often.

This is a nuisance.
    09-20-11 03:11 AM
    I have quite similar problem except that prior to upgrade to the latest OS, I was able to charge perfectly fine with BB charger and other types. After upgrading I'm unable to charge regardless to whatever brand of charger and it is showing error message that the source doesn't have enough power or something along those lines. I have to restart the device to fix it. However, hours later the charging problem arises again.

This problem is still there after twice upgrade to 2 different OS versions on Torch 9810 also one time upgrade on Bold 9900 from .261 to .540.

Any solutions, guys?
    Last edited by fusioncal; 11-28-11 at 09:56 PM.
    11-28-11 09:53 PM
    Belkin Power Pack 2000 works with my Z10 but not with the Bold 9900.
    05-20-13 01:44 AM
    Ok I had same issue, been using charger all of suddent BB Bold doesn't charge with it. Tried different cables, same issue.

So I connected the USB cable to my laptop & took out the battery (while the cable is connected). I pressed the power button with just cable attached and battery still out.

Then I placed the battery back in (while cable is attached), Yes, I started seeing the Yellow Charge Icon on screen & now charging!

Hope this works for anyone having same issue.

Ty
    05-28-13 10:13 AM
    Sorry guys, wished I had seen this one sooner, as I have the solution.

With the charger plugged in, Open the engineering screen (many threads here on how to do it) > go to OS engineering screens > battery > battery charging screen > press the blackberry button and then select Force AC.

Presto!

At least it worked for me on a 9900 and 9860 that lost the ability to use any other charger with an OS update (strange stuff).
    col281 likes this.
    05-28-13 10:20 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD