Thanks a million! I had lost Wifi signal strength after dropping my phone. Used this fix and it's back! Worked like a charm. Thanks for the very helpful information.
    Matt J likes this.
    01-17-13 11:39 PM
    i've had my 9900 for a bit over a year now, and i was always going over my data package which i thought was weird, because i'm almost constantly in a wifi zone. i realised that i kept dropping my wifi signal and i did a few searches but nothing came up.
    i finally tried again about a week ago and after acquiring the necessary tools i did the operation today. complete success. thanks, you actually saved me money with this (about 2-3 bucks a month of over charges lol).

the only real nerve wracking part of taking the phone apart was unhooking the keyboard. but the guy on the youtube video just flicked it off, so i guess it's not as fragile as you'd think...
    01-21-13 04:05 PM
    anyone know if this will help with the crappy wifi calling ? it's so so unstable, it never even really connects. i dont pay attention to my wifi bars but any input here?

thanks
    01-22-13 01:01 PM
    I also had problems with my wifi either dropping off repeatedly or not picking up at all. I tried this fix and it works like a charm!!! It took all of 5 mins to do. The antenna was slightly misaligned and my phone is now connecting to my wifi in rooms it never did before.
    01-23-13 09:56 AM
    that is a sweet find! may try that, in the meantime, anybody have any ideas as to how to keep the WI-FI signal on? keeps going off, does not stay on for more than a few minutes?
    01-23-13 07:26 PM
    dude, your awesome, didnt need the srewdriver though. i used my leatherman haha.
    Im assembling it right now but my antenna sticker was indeed moved.
    02-27-13 04:39 PM
    Thanks for posting this. I just tore apart my bold 9900, found the misaligned sticker, realigned it, put it back together and am golden!!!

Some days it really pays to check the forums. Thanks again for the quick fix. I to thought it was a software problem having recently installed. 7.1.0.825.
    02-27-13 11:22 PM
    I wish you could have done a before and after shot to show where it was and where it should be... as i too have poor WIFI.. only if i`m very close to router then no problem...most of the time only one bar or i lose connection...
    02-28-13 01:01 PM
    Thanks a lot.. it did work.

Really appreciate the fix.
    03-03-13 09:22 AM
    well me the great sceptic has had disappointing wifi on this phone. After upgrading to the latest os I was getting a msg about wifi not available. Anyway came in here to wine about and seen this thread. So I have some torx drivers so pulled my phone apart and my sticker was misaligned a small bit. I carefully pulled the piece off and put it back close to perfectly as I possible. Well to my amazement when I restarted my phone not only do I have full bars on my network, but I can see 3 neighbours wifi too and they have over half bars. I think that maybe by out of alignment they contacts actually cross connect or something. Mine was not out much and would never thought to move it if not for this thread. Thanks to OP . I guess time will tell if I am imagining it or not but at this point am pretty convinced as I have had a good connection here at home or at hotels I could not even find the service. I spend a lot of time in Hotels so when I get back to the one on monday it will be a really good test.
    03-03-13 10:16 AM
    Did it this morning....and today after almost 2 years am having a normal wifi connection like my old BB9000. Thanks so much for sharing this info!!
    03-03-13 06:52 PM
    I've just done this on my break. The stickers were aligned right, but there appeared to be a crumb or something which was stuck on it where it would connect.

I'm not curently in a wifi area untill I get home, but I've noticed my normall 3g connection seems faster. Is this possible or is this my imagination?
    03-04-13 12:59 PM
    good 100%, was test. thanks you
    03-07-13 03:54 AM
    Excellent post! Thanks so much. Not sure if a drop is what moved it on my 9930 (don't remember dropping it) but it was like a switch turned off. One day I had normal wifi reception, the next day it was so weak. Networks not being seen that normally were, 1-2 bars of wifi when near the router etc. Went to Radio Shack, got a T5 Torx driver and followed the online Youtube dis-assembly video. My antenna was definitely shifted. Carefully peeled it off and straightened it back out and VIOLA! 5 bars of wifi again. Took maybe 10 minutes. I've put up with crappy reception for most of a year. Thanks for taking the time to post this.
    Last edited by briandoc; 03-26-13 at 03:41 PM.
    03-26-13 02:44 PM
    Can someone show a picture of a before and after shot?
    Id love to see it since I did open mine up, but I think mine was already aligned properly.
    03-26-13 03:04 PM
    Can someone show a picture of a before and after shot?
    Id love to see it since I did open mine up, but I think mine was already aligned properly.
    03-27-13 02:55 PM
    You will see like the originally posted photo. There are two copper contacts and two tiny little plastic raised pieces that the sticker sits on. It has to fit there so that when the phone is put together it will align properly onto the copper of the sticker.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 03:04 PM
    I took mine apart to clean some Blackberry Jelly (no lie) out of the headphone jack. It was the easiest tear down and assembly I have ever seen on any phone.Just sit in front of the computer, watch the dis-assembly video and go one step at a time pausing the video as you go.The 9000 and 9900 are the best 2 to work on because they don't have that snap together crap housing.The headphone module popped right out, I washed it in the sink, used a hair dryer, and put it back together.One simple warning so you are aware and don't forget:You will need to remove 3 sets of screws. Each set will have 2 screws. DO NOT MIX-UP THE SCREWS!Keep each set separate and remember what order they came out so you can put them back in the correct places.Sets 1-2-3
    well said ... and very imp !
    04-07-13 07:30 PM
    Great find, thanks OP! Yes, my sticker was misaligned as well. You'll notice each of the stickers has two holes that will fit over two posts on the body of the phone to align them correctly. Re-aligned the sticker, smoothed it out to make good contact with the body and BAM--full fan wifi like my old 9780. Thanks again!
    05-11-13 11:07 AM
    This solve my wifi issue thanks crackberry and threadstarter great job
    05-12-13 11:14 PM
    Hi!
    The problem that i have isn't the strength signal of the wireless(because i have 4 bars of the signal). The problem is that it wan't connect. How can i fix this ?
    05-26-13 02:00 PM
    Tip my hat to you good sir, I was about to get rid of my phone because I thought the wifi antenna probably died. I even changed my phone's software to two different versions in an attempt to resolve the issue and had about given up until I ran into this thread.

Took apart the BB and sure enough, the sticker had bent and moved away from the edge. Put it in place and where I was only getting the bottom circle of the wifi signal showing connectivity albeit without any service, I know have all wifi bars illuminated.

Many thanks for this.
    Last edited by encryption; 06-14-13 at 07:33 AM.
    06-13-13 03:16 PM
    Brilliant- bought the screwdrivers and tools for �2.95 delivered and worked perfectly - full signal from the other end of the house. You've saved me heaps - many thanks.
    06-14-13 04:53 AM
    Anyone have a suggestion for something that will take the small branded plastic piece at the bottom off without scratching anything? I don't have a plastic cell phone opening device. I see a small indentation on the piece right at the bezel which looks like it would be a starting point to get it out. Thanks for your help.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-17-13 03:13 PM
    Anyone have a suggestion for something that will take the small branded plastic piece at the bottom off without scratching anything? I don't have a plastic cell phone opening device. I see a small indentation on the piece right at the bezel which looks like it would be a starting point to get it out. Thanks for your help.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    I thought about using a small flathead screwdriver but worried about scratching it up; I ended up ordering one of the plastic opening devices from ifixit for a couple bucks. I'm going to attempt the repair tonight.

For those of you who have had it apart, is there anything that can be done to help prevent the antenna from moving again in the future; like adding some adhesive or something?

**Edit to add: SUCCESS! I followed the youtube video and once I had the phone open it was very obvious my wifi antenna sticker was mis-aligned. To answer my own question, NO, no further adhesive is required. My sticker was very well stuck down, I had to peel it up along its entire length before re-positioning it. I can't see this having happened through a drop or fall, I suspect it has been this way since day 1.

For those who are reticent about giving this a try, I have absolutely no experience with this kind of electronic work and it took me 10 minutes going very carefully. The process is very simple and the results were immediate and dramatic.

Thanks so much for the tutorial!
    Last edited by Mikey_T; 06-17-13 at 06:22 PM.
    06-17-13 05:28 PM
100 1234