Wondering how many people are using the Bold 9900 on AT&T?

Any initial thoughts so far? My CEO wants one, and I essentially have a blank check to buy one...

So... Do I worry about which version will be most compatible (i.e. Rogers vs. T-Mobile, vs. unbranded etc)?

Besides unlocking the device, anything else I should be aware of in terms of compatibility? I have extensive BB experience in the past, just am unfamiliar with following this device...

Thanks!
    08-22-11 10:36 AM
    you need a Rogers or Bell CA device. The T Mobile Version will only work on EDGE. I use a Rogers device on att and i dont have any problems. Just the VVM is not working.
    08-22-11 10:44 AM

Any initial thoughts so far? My CEO wants one, and I essentially have a blank check to buy one...

So... Do I worry about which version will be most compatible (i.e. Rogers vs. T-Mobile, vs. unbranded etc)?

Besides unlocking the device, anything else I should be aware of in terms of compatibility? I have extensive BB experience in the past, just am unfamiliar with following this device...

Thanks!
    Since you have a blank check, buy me one too. I'm pi$$ed that AT&T won't be releasing the 9900 until November.. but I can't justify spending $600+ on an unlocked Rogers/Bell 9900 (afford = yes, justify = no)
    08-22-11 11:03 AM
    ^Ditto, I want to get a Rogers device to use on ATT, but $600+ is ridiculous.
    08-22-11 01:06 PM
    Is it true that buying these Rogers phone and unlocking them voids warranty??
    08-22-11 01:25 PM
    ordered a rogers off of ebay and should receive it tomorrow. my "plan" is to otterbox it for the 3 months until the att release, pick up one from att using my long-overdue upgrade and re-sell the rogers to make back some of my $$

that adds a LITTLE more justification, no? :-)
    08-22-11 01:34 PM
    Awesome, thanks. Just ordered a Rogers one.
    08-22-11 02:05 PM

Thanks!
    Im running an unlocked Bell 9900 and it's perfect.

ordered a rogers off of ebay and should receive it tomorrow. my "plan" is to otterbox it for the 3 months until the att release, pick up one from att using my long-overdue upgrade and re-sell the rogers to make back some of my $$

that adds a LITTLE more justification, no? :-)
    you'll get some money back but won't recoup your investment. The marketplace will have far more unlocked phones once at&t releases the 9900.
    08-22-11 02:05 PM
    you'll get some money back but won't recoup your investment. The marketplace will have far more unlocked phones once at&t releases the 9900.
    These aren't municipal bonds, they're essentially disposable devices - you never get back what you paid for them, unless you ran up to Rogers and bought a trunkful to sell right now. Other than that, you really can't consider them an investment.

Having said that, I just bought an unlocked Rogers off eBay as well. I can just about feel it depreciating on the FedEx truck.
    08-22-11 11:13 PM
    You can get a Rogers BlackBerry 9900, get it unlocked to use it with at&t.
    08-22-11 11:29 PM
    I'm using the VZW 9930 on AT&T and I'm not having any issues with it. I had to unlock it, and Verizon gave me the code for free. My buddy gets a hardware discount and I paid 450 for it with free 2 day shipping. I don't use BES, just BIS, I had to call AT&T to get the IMEI regestered, but that took only a few minutes. I have BBM and all my apps and such working and I couldn't be happier. I was not eligible for an upgrade from AT&T so I was going to pay full price either way.
    08-23-11 08:30 AM
    I'm using the VZW 9930 on AT&T and I'm not having any issues with it. I had to unlock it, and Verizon gave me the code for free. My buddy gets a hardware discount and I paid 450 for it with free 2 day shipping. I don't use BES, just BIS, I had to call AT&T to get the IMEI regestered, but that took only a few minutes. I have BBM and all my apps and such working and I couldn't be happier. I was not eligible for an upgrade from AT&T so I was going to pay full price either way.
    But you don't have 3G capability, correct?
    08-23-11 08:39 AM
    You are probably getting 2G coverage right?
    08-23-11 09:49 AM
    Can anyone outline (or point to a link outlining) the steps I need to take to use an unlocked 9900 on AT&T? My SIM is not in a BB at the moment so I assume I need to call and have my plan switched back to a BIS plan?

Do I need to manually get service books from somewhere?

And, do I need to configure gmail accounts on BIS online? Or can I do everything from the phone with OS7?
    08-24-11 12:33 AM
    Put old Media card if you have one in the 9900
    Perform BB Desktop Mgr Device switch from your current BB (do not transfer apps)
    Once transfer is done, stick SIM Card in 9900, if not unlocked, enter MEP2 code
    Sign in BBID
    Sign in Email setup
    Done!
    08-24-11 12:38 AM
    You are probably getting 2G coverage right?
    Yeah no way you are getting H+
    08-24-11 12:39 AM
    No H+ but I do get 3G. I have not noticed any significant loss of speed when compared to my previous BB's on AT&T (9700 and Torch). I get the EDGE and sometimes edge in the notification bar, but I live in a rural area near Boise and there are some crappy spots. I do not fool around with benchmarks and such, I just go off my end user experience, and the phone is damn nice.

If all else fails I can sell it down the line and get the official version when it comes around. I've also toyed with the idea of getting a 9810, we get a 50% hardware discount through AT&T through corporate sales, so I may get one to play around with.

The only disappointment I have is the lack of OS7 apps and Themes, but they are coming around.
    08-24-11 12:53 AM
    got the rogers/telus off ebay and it's working flawlessly with at&t.

changed my mind about selling it back once the at&t version is released...i'm happy with this one so why go through the hassle?
    08-25-11 09:46 AM
    got the rogers/telus off ebay and it's working flawlessly with at&t.

changed my mind about selling it back once the at&t version is released...i'm happy with this one so why go through the hassle?
    No problems unlocking it?
    08-25-11 09:52 AM
    i purchased it already unlocked - just had to insert my sim card and transfer over my bb service through the bb/at&t website and i was good to go.
    08-25-11 10:18 AM
    i used cellunlocker.net and they send the code within 10 minutes.
    08-25-11 10:32 AM
    Where would be the best place to buy a 9900 for att? I dont want to do ebay, had horrible experience evertime i have used it.
    08-25-11 11:03 AM
    You can look on Amazon.com I have seen them on there.
    08-25-11 11:12 AM
    this is who i bought mine from:

BLACKBERRY BOLD 9900 SMARTPHONE - BLACK - UNLOCKED | eBay

they weren't the cheapest but they had huge positive feedback and free shipping. i received it TWO days after placing the order and it arrived perfect, unlocked and ready to go
    mlengel81 likes this.
    08-25-11 11:18 AM
    this is who i bought mine from:

BLACKBERRY BOLD 9900 SMARTPHONE - BLACK - UNLOCKED | eBay

they weren't the cheapest but they had huge positive feedback and free shipping. i received it TWO days after placing the order and it arrived perfect, unlocked and ready to go
    Same here, was a fine transaction with no issues. Just a quick call to AT&T to change IMEI and I was all set.
    08-25-11 11:27 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD