Hi everyone,

I have got to say I am having the worst battery life ever on this brand new device from RIM - Vodafone UK. I'm sorry if this has been covered in another post, but I'm pretty damn frustrated.

Hardly surprising that considering they have put a smaller battery than my 9700, and increased the power of the phone.

Stil, I just can't believe this would be released if the battery could not cope. I charge overnight. 7am off charge, by mid-afternoon I'm nearly out. Haven't even had the chance to really put it through its paces either and see how it handles higher call volumes, messaging and surfing.

The software states: 7.0 bundle 1465 (v7.0.0.296, Platform 5.0.0.496)

Anyone else out there suffering like this? I've heard device switch using old apps could cause it, but then others have said they're operating fine after the switch without deleting old apps.
    gem1268 likes this.
    08-17-11 07:59 AM
    Apparently if your in areas of poor coverage/multiple cell towers your battery will drain very fast!

My battery on mine is superb! It lasted from 7am till gone midnight yesterday before it was flashing at 10% and I use mine a lot!

Maybe you just have a dodgy battery, sometimes happens.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-17-11 08:13 AM
    went from 7am to 11pm was still at 25%... that's with using the GPS constantly for an hour during my bike ride with runtastic, and a few reboots after installs too.

im thinkin the problems people are having are some apps draining along with radio coverage coupled with likely a few bugs in the early OSes that are affecting some users but not all.
    08-17-11 08:18 AM
    Yep, your experience is in no way representative of the whole, or even of a large minority. Most had similar battery life to 97xx devices, a few slightly worse.

Either your battery/handset or your settings are giving a funky result.
    08-17-11 08:19 AM
    There seems to be enough people with this battery issue that it warrants some serious investigation by RIM....
    ...A few of of the posters said they live within a few miles of their own cell carrier towers.
    ...My 9650 does not seem to drain the battery faster if I'm in a poor reception area?
    Last edited by pythons; 08-17-11 at 09:14 AM.
    08-17-11 08:21 AM
    If you are using it NON-STOP it will drain. Download (tiny-meter) and it will give you a battery log.
    Also, try leaving it on without using it and see if it's draining alone. It should be 1%-3% draining an hour when not using it hardcore.
    08-17-11 08:23 AM
    Most people who aren't having a problem don't come to forums to complain. You're going to get a larger proportion of those having problems obviously which skews the perception.
    08-17-11 08:23 AM
    Give it another day or two, read some posts that say battery life improved after 3 to 4 days. I don't know why.
    08-17-11 08:28 AM
    Got mine yesterday and it was drained in about 6 hours. Have had it off the charger since midnight and the bar has barely moved. I am not worried about the first couple of cycles on the battery as others have stated it does improve in a couple of days. If not then I'll panic.
    08-17-11 08:32 AM
    I've only had it for a day so far but my battery life seems to be a little better than my 9650 and I'm fine with that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-11 08:34 AM
    i had problems the first two days. Run the battery down completely and then do a full charge. My battery life improved dramatically after two complete charging cycles.
    08-17-11 08:35 AM
    Same here - got mine Monday so Tuesday was first full day.

Posted in another thread that battery was ok. Had it on from 7am on full charge. After medium use it was at 60% by 4pm.

BUT .... by 9pm I was down at 10%. If anything I used it less from 4 - 9.

B
    08-17-11 08:36 AM
    Thanks for the info everyone.

I'll give it a couple of days and see if the recharges make any difference. If not, then I'll check rogue apps. If still a problem, then may ask for a replacement battery.

And there are several people with this issue that I have just found at http://crackberry.com/blackberry-bold-9900-battery-life

The update from Kevin states that there seem to be a fair few suffering too. Just check out the blog comments. First few are from people who don't own them so breeze on by to see the rest.
    08-17-11 08:39 AM
    The very early builds of the OS are usually not very batt friendly. Wait for newer ones and you'll see better battery life in general.
    08-17-11 08:55 AM
    I have excellent coverege usually 4-5 bars and phone doesn't last me a full day. Same usage as 9780 and it dies before 4-5 pm. It is a new os so we will wait and see with updates. Overall phone is awesome!!

tonyshep likes this.
    08-17-11 10:41 AM
    out the box. was the blackberry fully charged or did u have to charge it first?
    jw cuz i get my phone today and once it gets here i have to go do a whole bunch of errands and would like to know if the phone is already fully charged.
    08-17-11 11:00 AM
    Im using the same OS, I have had full bars all day with moderate use. Browsing, messaging, wikitude. Been off the charger at 8am, after 4 hours I am 55%.

(After 8 hours of charge)
    Last edited by ericlc2; 08-17-11 at 11:16 AM.
    08-17-11 11:14 AM
    Thanks for the info everyone.

I'll give it a couple of days and see if the recharges make any difference. If not, then I'll check rogue apps. If still a problem, then may ask for a replacement battery.

And there are several people with this issue that I have just found at http://crackberry.com/blackberry-bold-9900-battery-life

The update from Kevin states that there seem to be a fair few suffering too. Just check out the blog comments. First few are from people who don't own them so breeze on by to see the rest.

I ran into this as well and posted about my experience, also device swap seemed to cause a little issues because of app compatibility etc anyway have a read here http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-happy-637976/

cheers
    ericlc2 likes this.
    08-17-11 11:59 AM
    I'm on my 2nd unit and no difference. Battery life is terrible. Frustrating. Any real solutions?
    09-04-11 07:32 PM
    Another bad battery thread? Man, have you read any of the threads on this forum? You don't even have to search. Anyways, excellent battery life for me as posted in 500 other threads.

09-04-11 08:17 PM
    Guys, just find out there is a new version of facebook for OS7 just released 2 days ago. Try to update this as it seems to improve the battery life...
    10-11-11 11:31 PM
    Why on earth would RIM make a more powerful phone and put a smaller less powerful battery in it????
    10-11-11 11:48 PM
    I'm on my 2nd unit and no difference. Battery life is terrible. Frustrating. Any real solutions?
    Try upgrading to .440
    10-12-11 12:02 AM
    Same here, I have serious battery drain on 3G - half a day use only. I turn 3G off and I get more than 2 days use. I had the same problem with my Torch. I always had 3G off.
    10-12-11 01:37 AM
    Ok, so I have waited, and waited, and waited. Had the phone for a few weeks so wanted to make sure I'm not going crazy.

Charged overnight, drained super fast. I mean off the charger at 8am, turning yellow by 4/5pm. Moderate usage. Not really many calls. This is rubbish. If 3G is causing this issue then it has to be a software glitch on the phone, because my 9700 could last days compared to this energy leech.

Has anyone tried the .440? Has it improved the battery life???

P.S. The battery life is still just as bad even though I can't even use the damn thing due to the service outage!!
    10-12-11 02:51 PM
77 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD