Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
Like Tree6Likes
  1. editor0400's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Bold 9900 or Q10?

    I've been using a Bold 9700 forever, and it's really slowing me down. Work is willing to pick up the tab on a phone of my choice.

    I bought the Nokia Lumia 920 on Friday. I have to return it, I'm simply not good with touch screens, partly because I have shaky hands. It is FANTASTIC as an internet device, however not very great at being a phone & email client. I need something I can type on.

    I can return the Nokia and get a 9900 today. Or I can keep using my 9700 and wait for the Q10.

    I like using the "Blackberry" button, the optical trackpad, and the call/end keys that are now absent on the Q10. I also have a Playbook that I can tether too and hopefully one day get BB10.

    My question is: Would I be crazy to go out and buy a Bold 9900? It's a year and a half old, and would cost my employer $199 + 2 year contract (which is insane). My bro and my mom both have them and they love the keyboards.

    I am not liking the 9700 and don't want to wait ANOTHER 3 months.
  2. EauRouge's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,270 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,630 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    check out craiglist or kijiji, you can usually find a 9900 for around ~$200. Front the cost for that yourself, have work buy you a Q10, then sell the 9900. Even if you take a $20 hit, its like renting a 9900 for that price. Not bad and way better than the 9700
  3. jarbootsy's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    76 Posts
    PIN
    2254994A
    #3  

    Default

    I wouldn't commit to a two year agreement with the 9900 with the Q10 right around the corner. If you do get the 9900 make sure you get the protection plan, its a great phone when it works, but, its a crapshoot using it for business with the random disconnects from the network. Its a bit strange having to explain delays in getting back to people because your phone was off the network when other phones have a perfect connection. If you are using Wi Fi at work, it should be no bother. If you don't need a Blackberry, get the Dell Venue Pro from Amazon, a steal at 200 and wait for the Q10 in April. You have to be on a GSM carrier, T-Mobile for 3G/4G
  4. Emu the Foo's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,245 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,246 Global Posts
    PIN
    330c56f6
    #4  

    Default

    Yeah. If it's not going to cost us money then go q10. Even if it was a money issue I would say "get the money some how and then the q10, then the power, then the women..." that being said both posts before speak the truth. Front the 9900 then hold u over until q10. Then resale the 9900. As the second post said about rent I did this with a truck I found on CL till I had my down payment read for my new truck. Anyways either wait or take that bullet. Other wise you will be stuck with a 9900 and spinning clocks
  5. BitPusher2600's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,149 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,307 Global Posts
    PIN
    Zebra Ballpoint
    #5  

    Default Bold 9900 or Q10?

    I have been so satisfied with the 9900, and i'm a heavy user for alot of things, I absolutely do not use any social networking crapola save for visits to the ol' CB forum.

    If you have a PB already, you know it's going to get BB10. I would advise you to seriously consider what your on the go needs are. I have no intention of buying the Q10 with any urgency when it comes out, as I too love having both touch control AND the mouse cursor, as well as the 'Berry menu. For games and apps that don't immediately revolve around 'actually' accomplishing something, why not save that for the PB and enjoy all the benefits that you will have with a 9900. I can't see the complaints of people on the 9900 as I can only assume they are either from Android or iPhone backgrounds, or somehow someway got a bad phone. The 9900 is fantastic and I doubt you'll be very let down, and as I said, you can still enjoy the stuff coming with BB10 via the PB and let the 9900 be your workhorse.
    Thanked by:
    ViaCassian (02-21-2013) 
  6. eve6er69's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,250 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,052 Global Posts
    #6  

    Default Bold 9900 or Q10?

    If the 9700 is slowing you down. Time is money and the 9900 is available now. The q10 may be delayed until june.

    The 9900 is an incredible device IMO. I've used it as a daily driver for over a year now.

    Sent from my game boy color
    twitter: @eve6er69_chris
  7. eve6er69's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,250 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,052 Global Posts
    #7  

    Default Bold 9900 or Q10?

    But coming from a 9700 I would highly reccomend getting a spare battery or purchasing the seidio 3000 mah battery. No phone can match the battery life of the 9700.

    Sent from my game boy color
    twitter: @eve6er69_chris
    Thanked by:
    seidioseidio (02-08-2013) 
  8. editor0400's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

    Default

    Thanks everyone for the input.

    I just moved from Canada to the USA so the later launch was an extra burn!

    I got the Bold 9900 on a 2 year contract. Again, work picked up the bill so CL wasn't an option. Have the 9700 as a backup incase the 9900 craps out (do a lot of travel).

    I love the phone, I wish I got one sooner! way faster than the 9700 and a great keyboard. Ordered a spare battery today.

    This phone feels much more fragile, does anyone recommend a good rubberized bumper that can fit into a holster? both can be 3rd party accessories.

    The Q10 will be in the bargin bin by the time my contract runs out... so I'll get the Q11!
  9. Legal Eagle's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,076 Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by editor0400 View Post
    Thanks everyone for the input.

    I just moved from Canada to the USA so the later launch was an extra burn!

    I got the Bold 9900 on a 2 year contract. Again, work picked up the bill so CL wasn't an option. Have the 9700 as a backup incase the 9900 craps out (do a lot of travel).

    I love the phone, I wish I got one sooner! way faster than the 9700 and a great keyboard. Ordered a spare battery today.

    This phone feels much more fragile, does anyone recommend a good rubberized bumper that can fit into a holster? both can be 3rd party accessories.

    The Q10 will be in the bargin bin by the time my contract runs out... so I'll get the Q11!
    Wise decision to go for the 9900 IMO, enjoy.

    Not sure which OS your phone came with but check out the latest .825 (stickied in this forum) or if you are confident with messing with OS installs have a look at the BL Hybrid OS's which are very very good.

    BerryLicio.us Ultimate hybrid for most OS 7.1 devices

    As far as useful apps go, have a look at Advance OS and LED, great develpoer support and the most useful single app I have ever come across.
    Bold 9900 on Vodafone UK running BL Ultimate Hybrid RC21 over O2 .1098 Base and .sfi

    If I've helped or amused you feel free to use the Liked or Thanked buttons
  10. Emu the Foo's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,245 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,246 Global Posts
    PIN
    330c56f6
    #10  

    Default

    The 9900 is much less fragile than the 9700. Its not 100% plastic like the 9700. The 9900 doesn't even have the creak that older bbs have. I've had my 9930 naked and not only is it sexy but drops don't even hurt it or anything like my 9700 did. I didn't need a case and I dropped it down a hill in san francisco. Just my 2 cents. But its not nearly as fragile as the 9700.
  11. eve6er69's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,250 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,052 Global Posts
    #11  

    Default

    no case will really be able to be used in the oem pouch. i remember when the 9900 first came out people were using the 9000 pouch and an otterbox commuter case.
    twitter: @eve6er69_chris
  12. soogriff's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    418 Posts
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    PIN
    A COLADA
    #12  

    Default

    I wouldn't sign a contract for a 9900 now. It's too close to the Q10 launch. You'll just be kicking yourself in April-ish, whenever they do release it. I know it sucks having to wait. I'd do like what these other people are suggesting, get a cheap used one off Craigslist/Ebay/Amazon.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    BB history: 8700>8310>8220>9800>9930+16GB Playbook>Z10
    Others: iPhone 4, Galaxy Nexus, iPhone 5
  13. deercreekmichael's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    287 Posts
    PIN
    24E34B7A
    #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eve6er69 View Post
    no case will really be able to be used in the oem pouch. i remember when the 9900 first came out people were using the 9000 pouch and an otterbox commuter case.
    LOL I still do this.
  14. tfitzpat03's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    99 Posts
    #14  

    Default

    In my opinion owning a 9900 over a blackberry q10 wouldn't be a bad idea because bb10 is still in the stage of getting their apps together. Not to mention that once you get a q10 and you own a playbook you wouldn't be able to use all the blackberry bridge features that it offers such as using it to access the internet from your phone. Even though the Bold is not a perfect phone it is still the most solid all around phone I've ever had so I'm good with it for now.
  15. R_Bassett_Jr's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    2 Posts
    #15  

    Default

    Personally, I think folks severely undervalue the ease of use improvement that the optical trackpad offers over a touch screen only interface; Having a mouse cursor to activate links and web form fields is a little bit of Zen. In fact, the only down side to the optical trackpad is that the cursor can move on its own in bright sunlight (which is very annoying in BBM).

    Lack of an optical trackpad on the Q10, the sad fact that the shutter speed on the Q10's camera is just as bad as the 9900s, and the 9900's rock solid steel-banded chassis are the reasons why I am personally keeping my 9900 rather than getting a Q10.

    Really is a personal choice that depends on one's own usage patterns and preferences.
    Bold 9900 / 16GB Playbook
  16. pacho69's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    65 Posts
    #16  

    Default

    Previous BB torch 9800 and the web browser was so slow and keyboard a bit small for the thumbs compared to old grandpa BB 9000. Picked up a "near mint" BB bold 9900 off craigslist for $170 bucks and much better device. Add "seven points" app for 99cents and u get a lot of slightly smaller BB10 cool icons which are used on Z10. This also makes top banner a bit more narrow so 4 rows of icons fits on screen now instead of just 3 rows. Had 2 issues. first trouble with calls, but read somewhere to just blow hard into ear bud port and "wella" fixed? go figure, and just yesterday- back battery door loose, so "double sided tape" holds it in place. Read on another thread here to use a 'post it" note stuck to back of battery door too. Hope this works good cuz I picked up a BB battery from Amazon.ca for @ 9.50 so battery pulls will be frequent. minor BS compared to Torch crapping out big time. Touch screen and track pad frozen. Good thing for up front extended warranty I bought so no charge. Want to get a demo Q10 in my hands to try and then make a decision between Z10 n Q10. Reading a lot of threads here bout Z10 issues makes me glad I am waiting cuz software updates are badly needed for BB10. ya, new awesome OS- I get it- but see it is frustrating for many Z10 owners on here. Playbook and BB bold 9000 are a great match too.
    Grandpa bold 9000, BB Torch 9800, Apple TV, Ipod5, Nokia Lumina 520, Sony Xperia J, Sony Xperia SP, BB Playbook,
    main driver for now - BB bold 9000, but BB Z10 white is in the mail from ShopBlackberry.com
  17. pacho69's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    65 Posts
    #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R_Bassett_Jr View Post
    Personally, I think folks severely undervalue the ease of use improvement that the optical trackpad offers over a touch screen only interface; Having a mouse cursor to activate links and web form fields is a little bit of Zen. In fact, the only down side to the optical trackpad is that the cursor can move on its own in bright sunlight (which is very annoying in BBM).

    Lack of an optical trackpad on the Q10, the sad fact that the shutter speed on the Q10's camera is just as bad as the 9900s, and the 9900's rock solid steel-banded chassis are the reasons why I am personally keeping my 9900 rather than getting a Q10.

    Really is a personal choice that depends on one's own usage patterns and preferences.
    i also like cool "stainless steel" frame on BB bold 9900 and for this reason thought "why cover this baby and hide band with some ugly case"? Kinda l reminds me when folks cover up their couches, and car/truck seats? Why? so u can sell it for a bit more to the next person who can take it off and call u a dummy? Who cares- so picked up nice camera case and bold fits perfect it . Grandpa bold 9000 came with a great n durable, well built black leather case which I eventually beat the hell outta. New cases suck and look cheap! Dropped 9000 a few times on concrete and would just bounce up and keep on working perfectly. Haven't dropped BB 9900 yet so we shall see?
    Grandpa bold 9000, BB Torch 9800, Apple TV, Ipod5, Nokia Lumina 520, Sony Xperia J, Sony Xperia SP, BB Playbook,
    main driver for now - BB bold 9000, but BB Z10 white is in the mail from ShopBlackberry.com
  18. MedicEms's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    910 Posts
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    #18  

    Default

    I'd go for the Q10 just wait a bit because In the long run it will be worth while

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    Support your local paramedics...Run with scissors.
    Canada BBM Channel C001234A4
  19. heading4tomorrow's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,749 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,056 Global Posts
    #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pacho69 View Post
    Previous BB torch 9800 and the web browser was so slow and keyboard a bit small for the thumbs compared to old grandpa BB 9000. Picked up a "near mint" BB bold 9900 off craigslist for $170 bucks and much better device. Add "seven points" app for 99cents and u get a lot of slightly smaller BB10 cool icons which are used on Z10. This also makes top banner a bit more narrow so 4 rows of icons fits on screen now instead of just 3 rows. Had 2 issues. first trouble with calls, but read somewhere to just blow hard into ear bud port and "wella" fixed? go figure, and just yesterday- back battery door loose, so "double sided tape" holds it in place. Read on another thread here to use a 'post it" note stuck to back of battery door too. Hope this works good cuz I picked up a BB battery from Amazon.ca for @ 9.50 so battery pulls will be frequent. minor BS compared to Torch crapping out big time. Touch screen and track pad frozen. Good thing for up front extended warranty I bought so no charge. Want to get a demo Q10 in my hands to try and then make a decision between Z10 n Q10. Reading a lot of threads here bout Z10 issues makes me glad I am waiting cuz software updates are badly needed for BB10. ya, new awesome OS- I get it- but see it is frustrating for many Z10 owners on here. Playbook and BB bold 9000 are a great match too.
    Hi, do you mean Seven point Ten (7.10) theme?
    I would love to see that 4 row icons. I like them the way they are since I am concerned any smaller icons might cause accidental tapping but would be nice to see more on screen. Would you mind posting some pictures? I had nothing but problems with themes I tried on App World, I guess newer ones are designed better?

    To OP, get the 9900 now if you rely on your BB for business and if you are ever without your laptop for a long period of time, because I could do all my work on my 9700 without a laptop, but could not on Z10. Then I got 9900, happy now!

    Q10 may eventually be where 9900 is now, but need to give it another 6-8 months, and I still have faith in BB that they will fix OS10.


    Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 Slow CB App

    STL-100-3 (Z10) 10.2.1.1925 10.2.1.2156
    STA-100-5 (Z30) SW: 10.2.1.2102 | OS:10.2.1.2141 | Radio: 10.2.1.2142
    RD121WW (Playbook) 2.1.0.1753

    Caller ID / Contact name not displayed on incoming call
  20. Bookshelf's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    110 Posts
    #20  

    Default

    I like using the "Blackberry" button, the optical trackpad, and the call/end keys that are now absent on the Q10.
    ----------------------
    You answered your own question.
    If you get a phone that lacks features your want you'll hate yourself..
    I suspect they'll bring back the track pad with the the second generation Q10.
  21. audio_engr's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,090 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,095 Global Posts
    PIN
    its hexadecimal ...
    #21  

    Default

    If you need BIS or BES, get the 9900

    If you don't care for it, you can venture out for the Q

    I have a 9900 & am not even remotely looking at a BB10 till they work out some sort of stringent security for the BB10s out there.
    Bold 9900 with OS 7.1.0.1033 OS + 7.1.0.912 (asian) SFI + BL RC 19
  22. heading4tomorrow's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,749 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,056 Global Posts
    #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by audio_engr View Post
    If you need BIS or BES, get the 9900

    If you don't care for it, you can venture out for the Q

    I have a 9900 & am not even remotely looking at a BB10 till they work out some sort of stringent security for the BB10s out there.
    When I check a website, it thinks I am in Canada.
    I love messing with Facebook and Google.. Sticking it to them!

    Not an option on Z10...
  23. LordCrankypants's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    767 Posts
    #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by audio_engr View Post
    If you need BIS or BES, get the 9900

    If you don't care for it, you can venture out for the Q

    I have a 9900 & am not even remotely looking at a BB10 till they work out some sort of stringent security for the BB10s out there.
    Can you explain how BB10 is somehow insecure? BIS in and of itself is not what makes BBOS secure. The OS itself is what makes BBOS secure. BIS helped secure email prior to the https protocol being used by email providers. Now the email itself is secure, so BIS is redundant when it comes to email.

    For all other web traffic, BIS and data compression was a big part of what was making the browser so slow on legacy devices. Now that it's gone in that respect, browsing is faster because LTE can be used and you still get secure experiences where you need it (eg. pretty much everywhere that requires you to enter personal or financial information uses encrypted protocols). Device encryption, password protection, media card encryption, parental controls and all those other things that made the BBOS secure are still present in BB10. BBM is still filtered through the NOC so those conversations are still as secure as they always were.

    JB
    If I've helped you or given you a healthy dose of reality, click the Like or Thanks button
    Thanked by:
    andy957 (12-24-2013) 
  24. MsBrittz1016's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    283 Posts
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    #24  

    Default

    if your job is picking up the tab wait another month for the Q10!!! well worth the wait!!! you will adjust to not having the menu buttons in no time!!!!
    aayoush likes this.
  25. heading4tomorrow's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,749 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,056 Global Posts
    #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LordCrankypants View Post
    Can you explain how BB10 is somehow insecure? BIS in and of itself is not what makes BBOS secure. The OS itself is what makes BBOS secure. BIS helped secure email prior to the https protocol being used by email providers. Now the email itself is secure, so BIS is redundant when it comes to email.

    For all other web traffic, BIS and data compression was a big part of what was making the browser so slow on legacy devices. Now that it's gone in that respect, browsing is faster because LTE can be used and you still get secure experiences where you need it (eg. pretty much everywhere that requires you to enter personal or financial information uses encrypted protocols). Device encryption, password protection, media card encryption, parental controls and all those other things that made the BBOS secure are still present in BB10. BBM is still filtered through the NOC so those conversations are still as secure as they always were.

    JB
    The poster may have thought of carriers intercepting email contents especially when working on business related correspondence.
    With BIS and BES, they worked like VPN Tunnels, carrier had no idea what was being transmitted, which is why some countries blocked BES/BIS. Now that BIS/BES is gone, the data transfer is out in the open, yes it could be secure with https but that does not mean any other communication cannot be stolen/accessed. That's just my understanding of what people mean when they talk about security of Blackberry. Now Blackberry is as secure as Android or iPhone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. BB 9650 owners getting the new Bold 9900 or 9930?
    By world saviour in forum BlackBerry Bold 9650
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 08-22-2011, 06:32 AM
  2. Bold 9900 or Colt Running QNX 1st Q '12
    By Nickerz_BB in forum BlackBerry Bold 9930/9900
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-19-2011, 11:59 PM
  3. bold 9900 or Bold 9780
    By blackberry_135 in forum BlackBerry Bold 9930/9900
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-17-2011, 07:41 PM
  4. Bold 9900 or TMO G2?
    By scootnyinzer in forum BlackBerry Bold 9930/9900
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-31-2011, 09:10 AM
  5. Blackberry Bold 9900 or wait for QNX
    By crusher3200 in forum BlackBerry Bold 9930/9900
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-28-2011, 05:11 PM

Posting Permissions