I received a blackberry 9900 totally dead (not blink red light, not recognize the pc)
    disassembled the phone , remove the shield and reflow the U1201
    Link to U1201 below
    When reflowing the bold 9900 board, Do you use flux?? and how long do you reheat for and what temp??

http://imageshack.us/a/img253/2852/attachmentphpp.jpg
    10-03-12 02:29 PM
    Some tech guy said its the power management system of the phone is faulty.

Usually they remove the battery and the press and hold "end call" button and reinsert the battery usually a red led appears. When that happens release "end call" and press "call" for few seconds and release and press "end call" again. Following this repeated release and press of these two buttons the screen pops up with a hourglass resetting the power management system.

If that fails after few tries going to the whole procedure about 3 times then the next step is opening the device and maybe doing the reflow.
    deptic2111 likes this.
    10-03-12 03:07 PM
    Some tech guy said its the power management system of the phone is faulty.

Usually they remove the battery and the press and hold "end call" button and reinsert the battery usually a red led appears. When that happens release "end call" and press "call" for few seconds and release and press "end call" again. Following this repeated release and press of these two buttons the screen pops up with a hourglass resetting the power management system.

If that fails after few tries going to the whole procedure about 3 times then the next step is opening the device and maybe doing the reflow.
    ok i'mma give the 1st one a try. but if it dosn't work how do i do the reflow? do i use flux?? what temp?? and how long?? can i use hair dryer or heat gun??
    10-03-12 03:17 PM
    I'd hold on if the first method does not work because some tech a special liquid they spray onto the board then reflow.....and I don't know what they spray and what temp and how they do it.

Sorry disappoint you, don't want you make the situation worse.
    10-03-12 03:42 PM
    Try playbook charger has been known to resolve this issue...try this next then do open surgery.
    10-03-12 06:23 PM
    I'd hold on if the first method does not work because some tech a special liquid they spray onto the board then reflow.....and I don't know what they spray and what temp and how they do it.

Sorry disappoint you, don't want you make the situation worse.
    ok good news . i got it working again
    but there is a prob, the screen is blank and the keyboard does not work. thelights in it comes up but nothings working when pressed. not even trackpad. the volume up/down buttons work and lock button also
    the screen is blank but software is on the phone because it connected to desktop manager and showed pin and if came up with mass storage with 6.?? gb's free space. i copied an album to it and it went smoothly. sooooooooooo idk... what you think could cause this?
    10-03-12 06:44 PM
    Try playbook charger has been known to resolve this issue...try this next then do open surgery.
    ok so the keyboard works now lol (weird huh?) but the screen still blank. did os reload but did not help
    10-03-12 07:11 PM
    Showing your pin does not necessarily mean the software is there and in good. Pin will show even when there no software.

So the word "blackberry" with loading bar below does not appear.

Can you tell me how got it to power up?
    10-03-12 07:17 PM
    Showing your pin does not necessarily mean the software is there and in good. Pin will show even when there no software.

So the word "blackberry" with loading bar below does not appear.

Can you tell me how got it to power up?
    the first option you have me. and yes it works because i can now do everything like normal blackberry usage. i can lock/unlock, after a while the keyboard shuts off when i press it, it lights back up. connected it to computer and it looks like it automatically entered storage mode because i have access to it now and can copy things over. but nothing on screen. its a white bold 9900 but it has black screen w/ version 002/111. can this cause it to blank?? wrong version??
    10-03-12 07:27 PM
    If the screen is blank then how did you confirm the keyboard is working?

Did you dial a phone number to confirm its working?
    10-03-12 07:31 PM
    If the screen is blank then how did you confirm the keyboard is working?

Did you dial a phone number to confirm its working?
    because it lit up and them after a while dimmed and i pressed it lit up back again

do you think its wrong version screen or what?? white bold with black screen. could this be it?
    10-03-12 07:36 PM
    the first option you have me. and yes it works because i can now do everything like normal blackberry usage. i can lock/unlock, after a while the keyboard shuts off when i press it, it lights back up. connected it to computer and it looks like it automatically entered storage mode because i have access to it now and can copy things over. but nothing on screen. its a white bold 9900 but it has black screen w/ version 002/111. can this cause it to blank?? wrong version??
    Yes the lcd screen model number is coded onto the phone, if the code of the lcd does not match what's on the phone it won't work.

Some techs have successfully removed the code off the phone and used different lcd when the correct one couldn't be located. This has been done successfully with 8520.

How you gonna retrieve what model lcd model is coded to the phone is beyond me. Looks like you gonna need to see a repair outlet to test some lcds.
    10-03-12 07:37 PM
    Usually the wrong lcd will show white blank screen.

If the screen could be a dead lcd that's why its black. So it maybe the right version lcd but its shot...seek out a repair shop.

Good luck .....hopefully its works because its a great phone.
    10-03-12 07:45 PM
    Yes the lcd screen model number is coded onto the phone, if the code of the lcd does not match what's on the phone it won't work.

Some techs have successfully removed the code off the phone and used different lcd when the correct one couldn't be located. This has been done successfully with 8520.

How you gonna retrieve what model lcd model is coded to the phone is beyond me. Looks like you gonna need to see a repair outlet to test some lcds.
    ok glad to know and thank you for helping me repair my phone
    its been real ..
    10-03-12 07:50 PM
    Just have a look at this link:

"Solution" dead red led black screen bold 9900 - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

A debate whether its hardware or software...although Rim says its software.
    10-03-12 07:53 PM
    Updating to Os .585 solved one guys black screen issue..look for the latest Os....
    10-03-12 08:07 PM
    Just have a look at this link:

"Solution" dead red led black screen bold 9900 - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

A debate whether its hardware or software...although Rim says its software.
    but i don't have red light error. just screen no light up "blank"
    10-03-12 08:11 PM
    10-03-12 08:20 PM
    hello again, i was playing around with the screen connection on the board and i realize that when i press it down the lights on the screen comes on but no image, just the back lights comes on. does it mean connector wants to replace or something?
    10-03-12 11:46 PM
    I'm not good on the tech side, the thing with 9900 it appears that some batches of them failed. I read of a batch of 200 of them all failing with exact issue as yours. Some place it down to bad hardware or software or both.

If the image is there but barely visible then backlight is needs replacing.

But in your case backlight comes on but no image...usually yes, then lcd is replaced. The issue here that 9900 symptom can be either a shot lcd or software issue. Because the the software issue exactly mimics a shot issue that whole problem.

What os version did you load?
    10-04-12 04:06 AM
    I'm not good on the tech side, the thing with 9900 it appears that some batches of them failed. I read of a batch of 200 of them all failing with exact issue as yours. Some place it down to bad hardware or software or both.

If the image is there but barely visible then backlight is needs replacing.

But in your case backlight comes on but no image...usually yes, then lcd is replaced. The issue here that 9900 symptom can be either a shot lcd or software issue. Because the the software issue exactly mimics a shot issue that whole problem.

What os version did you load?
    Are you sure its the lcd?? because i loaded the .585 like u said but still nothing. i have feeling its the metal thing that you push the screen ribbon into because when i look at it closely, it looks like someone has tampered with it before. plus only when i push/force down the metal connector the lights on the screen comes on.
    Last edited by deptic2111; 10-04-12 at 12:48 PM.
    10-04-12 12:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD